Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

USS Dewey (YFD-1) - Manila with Naval Repair Yard

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> USS Dewey (YFD-1) - Manila with Naval Repair Yard Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
USS Dewey (YFD-1) - Manila with Naval Repair Yard - 11/4/2010 4:40:28 AM   
PAWMatrix

Hello,

I was wondering why in WitP there was no Naval Repair Yard in Manila, but in AE there was.

This must explain it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Dewey_(YFD-1)

That is some cool history for you.

More Pics and stuff:
http://www.navsource.org/archives/14/0701.htm

I already added it in for my WPO Scenario.

PAW

< Message edited by PAWMatrix -- 11/4/2010 5:56:12 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: USS Dewey (YFD-1) - Manila with Naval Repair Yard - 11/11/2010 11:31:18 AM   
PAWMatrix

Hmmm,

If that is a battleship in the Dry Dock...

Maybe the Repair Shipyard should be 40 instead of 20?

PAW

(in reply to PAWMatrix)
Post #: 2
RE: USS Dewey (YFD-1) - Manila with Naval Repair Yard - 11/11/2010 12:00:00 PM   
Terminus

Not a battleship. It's "armoured cruiser no. 4" (hence "ACR-4" in the Wiki article) Pennsylvania, of less than 14,000 tons.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to PAWMatrix)
Post #: 3
RE: USS Dewey (YFD-1) - Manila with Naval Repair Yard - 11/11/2010 2:23:21 PM   
Shark7

Of course a Battleships of the same era would displace 18000-23000 tons or so. The Armored Cruisers were very much like mini-Battleships at the turn of the century, and were used as ships of the line just like Battleships.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 4
RE: USS Dewey (YFD-1) - Manila with Naval Repair Yard - 11/12/2010 8:36:31 AM   
PAWMatrix

Hello,

Told you I wasn't lying. Battleship in the USS Dewey plus more!

http://www.navsource.org/archives/14/0701.htm

Shark7 is correct. These battleships were small.

PAW

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 5
RE: USS Dewey (YFD-1) - Manila with Naval Repair Yard - 11/12/2010 12:43:54 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Of course a Battleships of the same era would displace 18000-23000 tons or so. The Armored Cruisers were very much like mini-Battleships at the turn of the century, and were used as ships of the line just like Battleships.

Well, no kidding. Still not a battleship.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 6
RE: USS Dewey (YFD-1) - Manila with Naval Repair Yard - 11/12/2010 11:47:14 PM   
PAWMatrix

Terminus,

USS Iowa (BB-4) is a battleship.

Just because it is an early one with lower tonnage than more modern ones, doesn't mean it is not.

PAW

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 7
RE: USS Dewey (YFD-1) - Manila with Naval Repair Yard - 11/13/2010 12:37:44 AM   
Shark7

Well if you are wondering if the USS Dewey could service a battleship, here is a list of battleship classes which displace less than the ACR-4 Pennsylvania, and should be able to dock inside the Dewey:

Pre-Dreadnaughts:

Kearsarge Class 11,540 tons
Illinois Class 11,565 tons
Maine Class 12,500 tons
Mississippi Class 13,000 tons

Dreadnaughts:

South Carolina Class 16,000 tons (weighed more, but has a smaller beam and length than ACR-4)

So technically, you can dock a BB inside USS Dewey...they just need to be very old, very small ones.

Though I do wonder what her actual lift capacity would be (maximum).

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to PAWMatrix)
Post #: 8
RE: USS Dewey (YFD-1) - Manila with Naval Repair Yard - 11/13/2010 1:05:39 AM   
PAWMatrix

Shark7,

Excellent point.

I would love also to know the exact specs on this pretty cool Floating Dock.

PAW

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 9
RE: USS Dewey (YFD-1) - Manila with Naval Repair Yard - 11/14/2010 4:28:22 PM   
JWE

YFD-1, Dewey, was rated as able to 'lift' her displacement. Not bad for that day. I believe she is rated at 18,000 tons in DaBabes.

Home of DaBabes

(in reply to PAWMatrix)
Post #: 10
RE: USS Dewey (YFD-1) - Manila with Naval Repair Yard - 11/14/2010 4:35:06 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWE

YFD-1, Dewey, was rated as able to 'lift' her displacement. Not bad for that day. I believe she is rated at 18,000 tons in DaBabes.

Nice to know. So basically any ship that would fit dimension-wise and displaced less than 18k tons could dock for repair...meaning most of the pre-dreadnaughts.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 11
RE: USS Dewey (YFD-1) - Manila with Naval Repair Yard - 11/14/2010 6:12:47 PM   
JWE

quote:

quote:

Nice to know. So basically any ship that would fit dimension-wise and displaced less than 18k tons could dock for repair...meaning most of the pre-dreadnaughts.

No. Not really. You are thinking in mid-20th century terms. Dewey had little in the way of equipment infrastructure. These early floating docks were viewed as substitutes for gravers. They were neither capable of nor intended to perform battle damage repairs on capital tonnage vessels.

Home of DaBabes

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 12
RE: USS Dewey (YFD-1) - Manila with Naval Repair Yard - 11/15/2010 12:54:29 AM   
Shark7

quote:

quote:

quote:

No. Not really. You are thinking in mid-20th century terms. Dewey had little in the way of equipment infrastructure. These early floating docks were viewed as substitutes for gravers. They were neither capable of nor intended to perform battle damage repairs on capital tonnage vessels.

So it would be more useful for scraping off barnacles and repainting the under-water part of the hull, with maybe patching some very minor damage?

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 13
RE: USS Dewey (YFD-1) - Manila with Naval Repair Yard - 11/15/2010 12:33:09 PM   
JWE

quote:

So it would be more useful for scraping off barnacles and repainting the under-water part of the hull, with maybe patching some very minor damage?

Engine, prop and shaft damage; cofferdamming, some hull replating, probably minor frame damage; couldn't replace a bow, and couldn't do much with armor; and yep, scraping off the barnacles.

Home of DaBabes

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 14
RE: USS Dewey (YFD-1) - Manila with Naval Repair Yard - 11/15/2010 1:32:45 PM   
oldman45

To be fair, no dry dock could do all those things by themselves, they would have to have shore facilities and/or support ships. Even the largest dock, the Los Alamos (capable of lifting the New Jersey) could not do that work. You park an AR/AS/AD with them and they could do miracles.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> USS Dewey (YFD-1) - Manila with Naval Repair Yard Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI