Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

SMK vs Boogada - the rematch

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> After Action Reports >> SMK vs Boogada - the rematch Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SMK vs Boogada - the rematch - 10/31/2010 5:00:07 AM   
SMK-at-work

After my last drubbing by Boogada I decided to take the CP again, but to do a radical rethink - Schlieffen was a fool - Russia was the real threat, so this time I determined to knock out the bear ASAP.

So here's how I started on the eastern Front - nothing subtle here - a massive army aimed at Warsaw, and smaller ones aimed at Riga and to protect Silesia

Hmm...it's not letting me upload the image.....
Post #: 1
RE: SMK vs Boogada - the rematch - 10/31/2010 5:02:00 AM   
SMK-at-work

Strange.....it seems to not like the name I gave the file....never mind - here's the plan for East Prussia! :)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 2
RE: SMK vs Boogada - the rematch - 10/31/2010 5:03:47 AM   
SMK-at-work

In Galicia the Austrians have massed 2 groups - 1 aimed at the Ukrainian wheat fields, the other north into Poland and/or d fending the Carpathian passes.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3
RE: SMK vs Boogada - the rematch - 10/31/2010 5:05:07 AM   
SMK-at-work

Serbia is left with only a small army facing it

Attachment (1)

Post #: 4
RE: SMK vs Boogada - the rematch - 10/31/2010 5:08:43 AM   
SMK-at-work

And last but not least - perhaps the strangest part of the plan - the "refused flank" against France.

My thinking here is that the border mountain hexes have low stacking limits, so are hard to attack out of, while the 2 fortresses of Strasbourg and Metz will be tough for the French to crack unless they buy some siege artillery!

Also not invading Belgium means no amphibious movement for the British in the 1st turn, which means a few less troops to worry about here - by the time the British arrive I will have reinforcements to bolster the line.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 5
RE: SMK vs Boogada - the rematch - 10/31/2010 5:44:46 AM   
SMK-at-work

And from wha I can see of the Russian setup it looks like Boogada has gone for a strike at Austria and the Silesian mines - there's virtually nothing facing hte German steamroller, and if he doesn't get out of Poland in a hurry that big stack of armies just north of Krakow stands a good chance of being cut of!

Post #: 6
RE: SMK vs Boogada - the rematch - 10/31/2010 5:46:22 AM   
SMK-at-work

T1 - each of the combats highlighted here resulted in the complete destruction of 1 corps - except the Austrians vs the Russians where they got 1 infantry and 1 cavalry corps - so a great start!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 7
RE: SMK vs Boogada - the rematch - 10/31/2010 5:57:55 AM   
SMK-at-work

Jumping forward to January 1915 - the German offensive has carved off huge amounts of Russian territory - the yellow line shows roughly where the original border was.

An assault on Riga by tired elements of the northern army has already been repulsed and the Germans are settling in for a siege.

Some advanced elements of the German and Austrian armies have been roughly handled by the retreating Russians who managed to escape the trap in Eastern Poland, but on the whole it has been a spectacularly successful campaign.

In other areas the Serbs attacked the Austrians and gave hem a bloody nose, but couldn't really advance far, and the Turks roughly handled a British corps in the Sinai, but were crushed by a Russian offensive in the Caucasus.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 8
RE: SMK vs Boogada - the rematch - 10/31/2010 5:59:16 AM   
SMK-at-work

Lest it be thought that the French were sitting around doing nothing - these 2 attacks are typical results of French assaults on the German defences in the west!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 9
March 1915 - 11/4/2010 8:26:30 AM   
SMK-at-work

Bulgaria enters the war with the Serb army in completely the wrong place...much like it did historically, only several months earlier.

Also Riga is taken, and the 1st of the Ukrainian food resource hexes. An unexpected Russian attack destroyed a corps just south of Riga, and French cavalry continues to try to edge its way around the German lines in the west....perhaps it will go a bit too far one day??

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by SMK-at-work -- 11/4/2010 8:28:22 AM >

Post #: 10
RE: March 1915 - 11/6/2010 1:22:12 AM   
SMK-at-work

I seem to have missed a turn - it is the start of July-August turn now, and there is plenty happening!

1/ The French have attacked in the south and have swept around the German line, capturing Stuttgart.
2/ The Russians almost overwhelmed the smaller German army that had captured Riga, and recaptured the city.
3, 4, 5/ The Austrian thrust south towards Odessa gained another food hex (5), but was threatened with being cut off by a Russian counter attack (3)...however that attack was instead met by German and Austrian reinforcements and crushed (4), resulting in 1 or 2 Russian units themselves being cut off.

6/ Bulgaria seized Skopje and Belgrade is cut off, but the British are coming to help, and
7/ The Turks seize Cairo.

So it has been an action packed couple of turns!

Oh and somewhere in there I think the Turkish and Austrian navies sank a British Battle-cruiser in the Eastern Med too! But they were pretty roughly handled in return and are unlikely to sail much more themselves, if ever!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 11
Sept-October 1915 - 11/6/2010 3:34:03 AM   
SMK-at-work

An action packed turn - lots of attacks in the West - the French cut off Metz, but the Central powers threaten to cut off the French in Bavaria.

Sorry the picture is a bit of a mess - I was never an artist! :/

Attachment (1)

Post #: 12
RE: Sept-October 1915 - 11/6/2010 3:35:04 AM   
SMK-at-work

But to cap it off, Italy decides not to join the war just yet, and Russians decide perhaps they don't want to be in it either!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 13
RE: Sept-October 1915 - 11/14/2010 4:00:34 AM   
SMK-at-work

It's been a while since I posted sorry - here's an update

By Nov-Dec 1915 the French attack into Germany had been cut off - massive attacks in the directions shown had mostly worked for Germany, and mostly not worked for France!

Metz remains cut off and likely to fall, but the TE pocket looks to have more forces to lose!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 14
RE: Sept-October 1915 - 11/14/2010 4:06:11 AM   
SMK-at-work

The winter turn sees no action - however the French forces in the pocket disintegrate in the bad weather for lack of supply - Metz holds out a little longer....

Attachment (1)

Post #: 15
The Uboats - 11/25/2010 4:59:41 AM   
SMK-at-work

It's been 10 days since I updated this - sorry - time flies when you are having fun! :)

Some overview - the Russian revolution was defeated, and the Russians hung on for several more turns, finally surrendering just yesterday - late 1917. So Germany now has a surplus of food! :) A bit late tho...:/

Alas America joined quite early - mid-late 1916 - I had thought it was further off - I'm sure I checked the diplomacy screen! As a result I ended up with diplomatic points that I could only spend on Romania! :(

In the west the TE has pushed the CP back with some ease - there were a lot of failed attacks and high casualties, but with the production advantage they have they could, and did, just keep trying.

Low German morale means that now the TE often succeeds in an attack even if they take substantially hight losses :(

There have been a couple of interesting little aspects to the game that I'll give a bit more detail on.

Firstly the sub war - after America entered I belatedly realised there was no point in not having unrestricted Submarine warfare! So here's the result from the strat phase at the start of Nov-Dec 1916 - as you can see I do have 1 extra sub...more would have been better but I found myself distracted :(

As you can see it was a resounding success - I'm not sure what effect it had, but Boogeda certainly remarked upon it! This continued for a couple of strat phase, with his destroyers being completely ineffective until recently - I think he might have invested something in ASW...:(

Attachment (1)

Post #: 16
RE: The Uboats - 11/25/2010 5:04:24 AM   
SMK-at-work

The other interesting bit, from my p.o.v. at least was the Macedonian front - here's what it was like at the start of the Nov-Dec 1916 move - the same time as those u-boat victories above.

the TE has some troops there...but apparently not too many, and they are contained

Attachment (1)

Post #: 17
Macedonia - 11/25/2010 5:13:38 AM   
SMK-at-work

But some judicious use of gas sees them bundled back into the biggest POW camp of the war where they belong...this is impulse 2 of the Mar-April 1917 move :)

Boogada noted that we had a unit from every belligerent on this front, excepting only Russia.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 18
Western Front - 11/25/2010 5:30:49 AM   
SMK-at-work

Here you can see how far the front has moved - 1 hex at a time, often with heavy casualties to the attacker - many attacks failed of course.

But it is slow & inexorable - more so with the Americans here....

We will get to 1918 tho - which is an improvement for me playing the CP! :)

Attachment (1)

Post #: 19
Back to Macedonia - 11/25/2010 5:41:54 AM   
SMK-at-work

And in case you were wondering what had happened in Macedonia, it looks like this - it is currently the start of the July-August turn:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 20
RE: Back to Macedonia - 12/1/2010 8:14:20 AM   
SMK-at-work

And we did get to 1918...barely!  Germany surrendered in March - despite a massive influx in food and resources from newly conquered Russia the pressure was just irresistible - twice demoralised half the German units were D class, manpower had run out so they were only getting 50 replacements a turn so couldn't' use all he equipment I could make - at the end I bought 4 research & 4 a/c per turn just to use up spare manufacturing after buying a couple of leader points!

Sadly the game ended just as I was about to over-run Romania too :(

Good fun - thanks Boog

Post #: 21
The end - 12/1/2010 8:46:08 AM   
SMK-at-work

Unfortunately the end game function isn't to good on GoA - there's no ability to have a look at all the units - or even your own ones for that matter :(

However here's the situation on the West/Italian front at the start of the Jan-Feb turn.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 22
RE: The end - 12/1/2010 8:49:27 AM   
SMK-at-work

And here's Macedonia & Romania - I'd just managed to cut off those Romanians, and a leader was getting there this turn...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 23
RE: The end - 12/1/2010 8:52:53 AM   
SMK-at-work

And finally Palestine - the Turks were fine - IIRC they had 40+ equipment and plenty of manpower, had built everything allowed in the way of infantry & artillery, had 10 or 12 barrages in the bank, were repairing their navy & had defeated 1 or 2 attacks here...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> After Action Reports >> SMK vs Boogada - the rematch Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI