DaBabes AAA Facelift

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

JWE

DaBabes AAA Facelift

Post by JWE »

Well, we dinked with everything else, so why not AAA. Seems one of the Babes Bros (witpqs, if you must know) was thinking AAA was looking a bit puny, especially compared to A-2-A losses. So we built a test bed, ran a Demming series, and found - yeah, AAA could use some upper body reps at the gym. While we were at it, looked at relativity between all the AAA automatic weapons (AAMGs, AA Auto-Weaps). Woof! Lotta room to move around in.

Ok, so dinking with the "Effect" parameter, found some good, relative, "effectiveness" values for all those things. Ya get the "projectile" weight for each, and express it as a ratio to the Japanese 25mm (obviously becomes 1.0 for the math). Kinda the same thing for explosive fill weight for the explosive rounds (again, the Japanese 25mm was 1.0), but with some SQRTs as rounds get bigger and bigger.

Then define a weight equivalent and fill equivalent for every round. For AAMGs that don't have fill, it's easy. For mid size rounds (20mm and such) it's (2x weight + 1x fill)/3, for biggies (40mm) it's (1x weight + 2x fill)/3. That defines the "k" for each gun. Then multiply "k" by the "actual/practical" RoF for each gun and poof - the effectiveness of a AAA automatic weapon, in terms of how much nastiness it could stream out at an incoming airplane.

Line 'em all up and ya got it, but to make them fit, you have to multiply by 'something'. We picked 2.

Reran the tests, and Whoa Nellie. Things are looking very, very nice. Ya still can't get grossly gnarly in '44/'45, so the shrieking "historical results everywhen" people will still have something to whine about (yes, we try to accommodate them, too), but all in all, it looks sweet. Now, this is just the AAA automatic weapons. So it will have a big impact on DBs and TBs (and Netties and kamis) on their final runs. Doesn't look at DP guns, because there is an intersection there with Nav Guns and Surf Combat. But that's the subject of the next post. We got a bit "Abby Normal" with that particular Frankenstein monster, too.

Till then; ta ta.

Ciao. John
Zigurat666

RE: DaBabes AAA Facelift

Post by Zigurat666 »

Just curios since I dont usually follow the modding stuff,but does any of the Babes mods (or any mods for that matter)ever get carried over to patches for regular AE? Just asking because AA which in my opinion is non-existent in the regular game could probably benefit from these types of things.
JWE

Post by JWE »

ORIGINAL: Zigurat666
Just curios since I dont usually follow the modding stuff,but does any of the Babes mods (or any mods for that matter)ever get carried over to patches for regular AE? Just asking because AA which in my opinion is non-existent in the regular game could probably benefit from these types of things.
Yes, DaBabes does get carried over eventually.

DaBabes can introduce things that stock may not be able to accommodate, at the time, because stock must be directed to a wider general gaming public, while DaBabes can be developmental (sub split-tubes, for example). We try, oh so very hard, to keep DaBabes within the game code constraints, so it's become almost a development tool. So if it's something that may, or may not, qualify for a stock revision, we'll dink with it in DaBabes (if it is appropriate) and let the daBabes testers run it.
Buck Beach

Post by Buck Beach »

Let us know when we can download something.

Buck

BTW a little bird told me they felt there was something off with the air model (air craft data) as to the air to air combat. Not really versed in the subject but is there anything in the wind tweaking that?

Buck
JWE

Post by JWE »

ORIGINAL: Buck Beach
BTW a little bird told me they felt there was something off with the air model (air craft data) as to the air to air combat. Not really versed in the subject but is there anything in the wind tweaking that?

Buck
Don't do A-2-A, not smart enough. The smart people think it's running ok, so your little bird is likely tweeting in the woods.
Buck Beach

Post by Buck Beach »

And he will read it here.

Buck
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Fantastic!

I'll look to start another PBM when the beauty is released.

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Buck

Buck, I wonder if you are thinking of the change to the air model that Elf talked about where fighter altitude assignments will be determined automatically (no longer by the player)? Supposedly that would be next patch, and I assume it would apply to any mod.
oldman45

Post by oldman45 »

JWE, do you think these tweaks to the AAA model will help with the Kamikaze issue? The little buggers are getting pretty good at getting thru CAP and AAA.
Buck Beach

Post by Buck Beach »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Buck

Buck, I wonder if you are thinking of the change to the air model that Elf talked about where fighter altitude assignments will be determined automatically (no longer by the player)? Supposedly that would be next patch, and I assume it would apply to any mod.

I think it had to do with aircraft ground losses, but, like JWE, I also don't do or know that world, I'm too busy with never ending ship tweaks.
jds1978

Post by jds1978 »

ORIGINAL: oldman45

JWE, do you think these tweaks to the AAA model will help with the Kamikaze issue? The little buggers are getting pretty good at getting thru CAP and AAA.

OT: Spruance was losing a major combat vessel a day off Okinawa, so this seems historic. The Kamikaze groups were being destroyed, but leakers always got through
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: jds1978

OT: Spruance was losing a major combat vessel a day off Okinawa, so this seems historic. The Kamikaze groups were being destroyed, but leakers always got through

As I recall Nimitz being quoted in his bio, it was "a ship a day", so I believe that counted DE's, DD's, and so on.
oldman45

Post by oldman45 »

Put in that perspective, I can deal with that. Thanks
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

Great news!

Since I am one of the "Historical capabilities NOW!™ "-crowd, I am happy. [:D]

As related question, did you guys tinker with the issue (or non-issue maybe) of ships running out of AAA ammo very quickly?
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Pascal_slith

Post by Pascal_slith »

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

Great news!

Since I am one of the "Historical capabilities NOW!™ "-crowd, I am happy. [:D]

As related question, did you guys tinker with the issue (or non-issue maybe) of ships running out of AAA ammo very quickly?

I'm with Sardaukar on the limited AAA ammo issue.

Unfortunately, there also are no detailed training level rating breakdowns for ships crews (gunnery ShiptoShip, gunnery ShiptoShore, ASW, Damage Control, AAA gunnery, Surf Radar, Air Radar, etc. etc.). The pilot system was expanded. Why not ship crews? (Or for that matter LCU's)...

Of course this obviously would mean some major code expansions.....hell, if I win the lottery I'll finance it [:D]
So much WitP and so little time to play.... :-(

castor troy

Post by castor troy »

ORIGINAL: Zigurat666

that would be great, have read about some nice things in this mod that seem to be quite a step forward.
castor troy

Post by castor troy »

"lost" doesn´t mean sunk I guess or do you want to imply that every day something like a CA, CV, BB was sunk?
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Does this mean that those of us that started games early get hosed on the AA? [:D][:'(]
oldman45

Post by oldman45 »

ORIGINAL: castor troy

"lost" doesn´t mean sunk I guess or do you want to imply that every day something like a CA, CV, BB was sunk?

I think Witpqs cleared that up.
vonTirpitz

Post by vonTirpitz »

I certainly hope that most of the Babes changes can be integrated into current games. I just don't remember what changes can or cannot be introduced into ongoing games...
ORIGINAL: Nomad

Does this mean that those of us that started games early get hosed on the AA? [:D][:'(]

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”