Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Greatest Ships of WW2 - Revisited

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Greatest Ships of WW2 - Revisited Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Greatest Ships of WW2 - Revisited - 10/27/2010 2:06:26 PM   
SuluSea

No votes for the USS Reluctant?  

”How strangely will the Tools of a Tyrant pervert the plain Meaning of Words!” ~ Samuel Adams

(in reply to Local Yokel)
Post #: 31
RE: Greatest Ships of WW2 - Revisited - 10/27/2010 10:34:54 PM   
warspite1

So HMS Warspite, USS Enterprise and USS Saratoga are the clear favourites for those that should have been saved - good choices all three.

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 32
RE: Greatest Ships of WW2 - Revisited - 10/28/2010 8:52:47 AM   
trojan

Probably also Prinz Eugen. Was every where from the Axis view point (Europe) but probably not a very PC choice

There are two types of ships in the world

Submarines and Targets

D.B.F

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 33
RE: Greatest Ships of WW2 - Revisited - 10/28/2010 2:41:49 PM   
skrewball

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

Warspite or Saratoga.

One of the Kirishima class BB's might have been nice,(for a museum piece.)

(A perfect collection is still at Bikini, but some "repairs" might be needed?)

Actually until the worldwide economy crash you were able to SCUBA dive the wrecks at Bikini. Once the world economy settles, I hope that they will reopen the site.

http://www.bikiniatoll.com/divetour1.html

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 34
RE: Greatest Ships of WW2 - Revisited - 10/28/2010 4:12:56 PM   
mike scholl 1

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

So HMS Warspite, USS Enterprise and USS Saratoga are the clear favourites for those that should have been saved - good choices all three.

I understand Warspite and Enterprise..., but Saratoga was a bit of a "Yard Queen" during the war. I'd love to have seen dozens of ships preserved..., but given the costs of mantainence made that impossible, Saratoga seems to me to be a couple of rungs below the other two on the "deserved to be saved" list.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 35
RE: Greatest Ships of WW2 - Revisited - 10/28/2010 8:10:01 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: trojan

Probably also Prinz Eugen. Was every where from the Axis view point (Europe) but probably not a very PC choice

Warspite1

I don't think that's entirely true. She was not involved in any successful operations - except for the tactical victory that was Cerberus (although even that was a strategic defeat). She was not a lucky ship either.

Her first operation was Rheinubung with Bismarck, and although she detached from the battleship to continue a limited version of that operation, she soon had to return to France with engine trouble.

After Cerberus she tried a number of times to get to Norway - each attempt ending in failure and she took a torpedo for her trouble during one of the attempts.

After a period of training duty in the Baltic she only went back into frontline service only in 1944. She took part in operations to support the retreating German Army until the end of the war. During that period she almost sank the cruiser Leipzig after a collision between the two. A bit of an unhappy career really...

Nice looking ship though

(in reply to trojan)
Post #: 36
RE: Greatest Ships of WW2 - Revisited - 10/28/2010 8:22:28 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: mike scholl 1

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

I understand Warspite and Enterprise..., but Saratoga was a bit of a "Yard Queen" during the war. I'd love to have seen dozens of ships preserved..., but given the costs of mantainence made that impossible, Saratoga seems to me to be a couple of rungs below the other two on the "deserved to be saved" list.

Warspite1

Yes, all navies have them. I suspect our biggest "Yard Queen" was HMS Queen Elizabeth - she always seemed to miss out on the action.

She was the only ship of her class to miss the fleet encunter at Jutland - she was in the dockyard - and was in the same place when WWII began

She had not been in the Mediterranean that long when the Italians sunk her at anchor in Alexandria harbour and she required major dockyard time getting repairs in the US.

By the time she got to the Indian Ocean, the opportunities for action were somewhat limited. Another rather unhappy career for a ship built for war.

(in reply to mike scholl 1)
Post #: 37
RE: Greatest Ships of WW2 - Revisited - 10/30/2010 2:38:45 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

USS England (DE-635)

Carpe Cerevisiam

WitP AAR "Six Years of War"

(in reply to Local Yokel)
Post #: 38
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Greatest Ships of WW2 - Revisited Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI