Matrix Games Forums

New information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

American Civil War Artillery Impacts

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> American Civil War Artillery Impacts Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
American Civil War Artillery Impacts - 10/19/2010 12:28:55 PM   
Obsolete

Maybe not restricted to the Civil War, but one thing I'm not too familiar with is how ammunition from that era is supposed to impact.

One thing that always bothered me from one movie to the next is how the explosion is always an exact vertical incline, despite the shell is clearly going horizontal.

I always assumed all movies are going a cheapo route and hoping no one spots the weirdness of their pyrotechnics. However, it's possible they are infact modeling how the exotherm is supposed to behave after all?

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.
Post #: 1
RE: American Civil War Artillery Impacts - 10/19/2010 1:32:31 PM   
junk2drive

I wonder the same thing about WWII tank guns firing HE at troops. Does the tank shoot the ground in front of the troops and the impact causes the explosion?

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 2
RE: American Civil War Artillery Impacts - 10/19/2010 2:49:23 PM   
Feltan

Quick reply --

Most Civil War artillery shells were fused. They were supposed to air burst and have shrapnel cause the majority of casualties. Some exceptions here, including most naval artillery, but by-and-large if you see air bursts in and around a target area during a land battle then it is relatively/generally accurate.

Tank HE rounds, on the other hand, are mostly impact rounds. Today, in fact, HEAT rounds are the HE round. In the past, there were experiments and regular tank shells that did have fuses (the "beehive" round comes to mind); however, most tank rounds are direct impact fused.

Regards,
Feltan

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 3
RE: American Civil War Artillery Impacts - 10/19/2010 3:39:28 PM   
ilovestrategy

Obsolete, I always wondered that too!

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> American Civil War Artillery Impacts Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI