Action Cards

The team behind the award-winning game Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive early days of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris is the first in an innovative series of operational World War II wargames that also include a strategic element. The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris simulates Germany’s military successes in Poland and France in 1939 and 1940 (including also a hypothetical “Sea Lion” invasion of Great Britain).

Moderator: Vic

RocketMan

Action Cards

Post by RocketMan »

First of all Vic, let me say that I really enjoy the game. I have been playing computer games for over 30 years and I have bought many games that I haven’t gotten as many hours of enjoyment out of as this one.

The Action Cards are a great idea and they remind me of something Sid Meyer once said about game design: “Give the players interesting choices.” When to play the action cards and what units to use them on definitely provide some interesting choices.

However, as with all games, I feel there is room for improvement in how the action cards are played. I find it difficult to know when a card is available to be played and it breaks the flow of the game having to hunt down if a card is available.

For instance, to know if a card is available, I click on a unit then click on the HQ under the unit name to get to that HQ. If there is no card at that HQ, I click on the next HQ to check for a card and then the next HQ. If there is a card available, I pick play card and then have to find the unit on the pop-up window that comes up and then hunt the unit back down on the map. In fact this procedure is so tedious I frequently find myself forgetting to even look to see if I have Action Cards available.

I believe there is an easier way for Action Cards to be played. Add another tab after the “Unit Details” tab that says “Action Cards.” On that tab list all the Action Cards available to that unit and what HQ has them along with a button to play the card on that unit. This is a much more natural way of information flow for the player and it allows you to get rid of the pop-up for playing cards entirely, it streamlines the interface and doesn’t take the player out of the flow of the game.
bcgames

RE: Action Cards

Post by bcgames »

ORIGINAL: RocketMan

I believe there is an easier way for Action Cards to be played. Add another tab after the “Unit Details” tab that says “Action Cards.” On that tab list all the Action Cards available to that unit and what HQ has them along with a button to play the card on that unit. This is a much more natural way of information flow for the player and it allows you to get rid of the pop-up for playing cards entirely, it streamlines the interface and doesn’t take the player out of the flow of the game.
I agree. The card play is a fun dynamic, and this suggestion on how to facilitate it is a good one.
Krupinski

Post by Krupinski »

second that!

*hafer
Ctaardvark

Post by Ctaardvark »

Me too.

It's currently way to cumbersome to figure out what cards are available and then play them. Good idea RocketMan.
We play the game with the bravery of being out of range.
Vic

Post by Vic »

First of all Vic, let me say that I really enjoy the game. I have been playing computer games for over 30 years and I have bought many games that I haven’t gotten as many hours of enjoyment out of as this one.

The Action Cards are a great idea and they remind me of something Sid Meyer once said about game design: “Give the players interesting choices.” When to play the action cards and what units to use them on definitely provide some interesting choices.

However, as with all games, I feel there is room for improvement in how the action cards are played. I find it difficult to know when a card is available to be played and it breaks the flow of the game having to hunt down if a card is available.

For instance, to know if a card is available, I click on a unit then click on the HQ under the unit name to get to that HQ. If there is no card at that HQ, I click on the next HQ to check for a card and then the next HQ. If there is a card available, I pick play card and then have to find the unit on the pop-up window that comes up and then hunt the unit back down on the map. In fact this procedure is so tedious I frequently find myself forgetting to even look to see if I have Action Cards available.

Keep in mind that you can see on the counter of the HQ if it has 1 or more actioncards available!

best,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
RocketMan

Post by RocketMan »

ORIGINAL: Vic

Keep in mind that you can see on the counter of the HQ if it has 1 or more actioncards available!

best,
Vic

Showing the action cards on a HQ is a nice feature, but it doesn't help if the HQ is off the screen (like higher level HQ frequently are) or they aren't on the top of a stack. And the method to play the cards is still cumbersome as Ctaardvark said.

I read an article once on how to design software and and it talked about verbs and nouns. It is hard to explain in just a few words, but one example given was of a way to save phone numbers on phones. One system required you to hunt down the save functionality, a verb, to save a number and the other let you save a number, a noun, when the number was on the screen at that time. The noun method put forward as the superior design choice and a more natural way for the user to use the system. I wish I could find the article I am talking about but it was a few years ago I read it and I couldn't find it on Google.

I view playing the action cards as the verb and the unit as the noun. I have a unit I might want to play an action card on so I should be able to do it from the unit itself instead of having to hunt down the way to play it.

This explanation probably makes no sense to anybody but me, but the bottom line is the method I described would, I think, be a much more natural way to play action cards.
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

I have a unit I might want to play an action card on so I should be able to do it from the unit itself instead of having to hunt down the way to play it.
This makes alot of sense.
Vic

Post by Vic »

Thanks for all the feedback. All is considered. I understand the point.

But in the meantime using the OOB tabsheet should be an easy way to see which HQ has cards. Also clicking on the name of the HQ will directly take you there.
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

ORIGINAL: Vic

...using the OOB tabsheet should be an easy way to see which HQ has cards. Also clicking on the name of the HQ will directly take you there.
Excellent! I learn something every day about this game. This is a good tip to emphasize in the game manual.

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris”