Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Editing a save, building roads, RR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Editing a save, building roads, RR Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Editing a save, building roads, RR - 9/29/2010 10:27:02 PM   
Monterey Jack

First-Bravo Zulu to the creators of this outstanding game. Thank you for your efforts! Question 1-Is there a way to edit a saved game and restart it from the saved point? For example, in a different game I can copy a filename.sav in the saved game folder and copy it as filename.scn in the scenario folder, make the desired changes, and then start the new game. This has saved me boatloads of time marking and recopying unit positions, status, etc., and allows dynamic input from out of game parameters/play. Question 2-Is there a way to build roads and railroads not present on the map (ALCAN highway, Bangkok-Rangoon RR, N.Australia RR)?
Post #: 1
RE: Editing a save, building roads, RR - 9/30/2010 12:02:22 AM   
witpqs

No to both questions.

If there is some technical glitch, the developers can edit certain things in save games and give it back to you. That's a lot of manual intervention on their part, so it's best not to ask unless a bug caused something to go wildly wrong in a game you've got a lot of time invested (been running a long time).

You can start playing from any old save game you want of course, but you can't edit the save.

(in reply to Monterey Jack)
Post #: 2
RE: Editing a save, building roads, RR - 9/30/2010 1:03:49 AM   
Monterey Jack

Do the creators have a suggestion box for future patches/upgrades?  Thanks for the quick reply.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3
RE: Editing a save, building roads, RR - 9/30/2010 1:10:13 AM   
witpqs

They are part of this forum all the time. Try the main forum for something like that.

BTW, the point of editable save games was raised in the past and the decision was that it will not be done. For one thing, in PBM's it would be a possible method of cheating which, due to player concerns, they do not want to put in place. Second, they consider the structure of the save game proprietary and do not want to decode/decrypt that to the public. I think I am remembering the discussion accurately enough to paraphrase it.

Post #: 4
RE: Editing a save, building roads, RR - 9/30/2010 1:31:07 AM   
Monterey Jack

Understand.  I'm not a programmer but I would think that editable save game function could be inhibited when selecting PBM.  I can edit saved games with Operational Art of War which gives me great flexibility in combining that game with a paper game my dad and I are playing.  I was hoping to fight my way through SE Asia, New Guinea, China, and Russia using AE to set up the land battle and OAW to fight each battle in detail in historic terrain.  Also like Steel Panthers to resolve amphibious assaults.  Guess I'll have lots of editor time ahead of me to reincorporate battle results and other facets into AE.  But I'll still save time leaving the logistics to AE.  Thanks for your time.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 5
RE: Editing a save, building roads, RR - 9/30/2010 1:33:40 PM   
drw61

On the second part of your question there is a launch / switcher utility by Dave Bradley that updates the RR and Roads over time

Here is the link to the update

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2545806&mpage=1&key=?

Not sure if the above is comprehensive or if you need ver 1.0.

ver 1.0 is at spookys site
http://mathubert.free.fr/index.html

Post #: 6
RE: Editing a save, building roads, RR - 9/30/2010 3:24:08 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

They are part of this forum all the time. Try the main forum for something like that.

BTW, the point of editable save games was raised in the past and the decision was that it will not be done. For one thing, in PBM's it would be a possible method of cheating which, due to player concerns, they do not want to put in place. Second, they consider the structure of the save game proprietary and do not want to decode/decrypt that to the public. I think I am remembering the discussion accurately enough to paraphrase it.

I believe you are remembering correctly, and I also recall this was a Matrix (the publisher) decision, not a Henderson Field (the devs) decision. I believe that is Matrix's umbrella policy for all their games, but I don't know that for certain.

The Moose

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 7
RE: Editing a save, building roads, RR - 10/1/2010 1:57:22 AM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58
I believe you are remembering correctly, and I also recall this was a Matrix (the publisher) decision, not a Henderson Field (the devs) decision. I believe that is Matrix's umbrella policy for all their games, but I don't know that for certain.

Yep. Remembering correctly. There is not, and will never be, a savegame file editor.

There is no utility that will edit AE pwhex files. There are no plans to make one. Thus, there is no evolution of map data, i.e., no way to build roads and railroads not present on the map. Sorry.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 8
RE: Editing a save, building roads, RR - 10/1/2010 12:06:38 PM   
steveh11Matrix

<Grump> Another classic case of "We know best, you mere users know b****r all" from Matrix. </Grump>

Still, these are seriously dead horses. One feature that I loved in the original, but was dumped for AE due to AI problems, was the computer-controlled regions. Are there any plans to bring this one back? Pretty please?

Steve.

"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 9
RE: Editing a save, building roads, RR - 10/1/2010 7:29:28 PM   
Monterey Jack

drw61: Thanks for the link. Stuck in Seoul for a day, makes the 26,000 won for 24 hours of internet worth it.

(in reply to steveh11Matrix)
Post #: 10
RE: Editing a save, building roads, RR - 10/1/2010 9:16:44 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: steveh11Matrix

<Grump> Another classic case of "We know best, you mere users know b****r all" from Matrix. </Grump>

Still, these are seriously dead horses. One feature that I loved in the original, but was dumped for AE due to AI problems, was the computer-controlled regions. Are there any plans to bring this one back? Pretty please?

Steve.

No.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to steveh11Matrix)
Post #: 11
RE: Editing a save, building roads, RR - 10/1/2010 9:27:36 PM   
Terminus

BTW, before you continue whining about Matrix, maybe you should attempt to remember that AE originally was meant to require ownership and installation of stock WitP, but because of the pressure of players, Matrix removed that requirement, delaying release of the final product.

Matrix has bent over backwards to accomodate you, so you might show a little bit more gratitude.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 12
RE: Editing a save, building roads, RR - 10/2/2010 1:00:01 AM   
Buck Beach

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWE

Yep. Remembering correctly. There is not, and will never be, a savegame file editor.

There is no utility that will edit AE pwhex files. There are no plans to make one. Thus, there is no evolution of map data, i.e., no way to build roads and railroads not present on the map. Sorry.

I miss being able to modify the hexes with pwhex to be able to navigate the rivers.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 13
RE: Editing a save, building roads, RR - 10/4/2010 12:26:45 AM   
jwilkerson

There is nothing prorietary about the AE map data files - they can be edited (use a hexeditor until someone does up a tool). I posted the AE formats a while back but enterprising types figured out the original WITP map data file formats pretty easily and they were tougher as they had some packed data - which AE does not. Thus, I would expect it would not take much for an enterprising modder to update the map files - however the map data now loads into the save file at start of game - so map data cannot be changed mid-game - only prior to start.

Yes the "no in game editor" decision was from the publisher - the question has been asked several times and the answer has always come back the same - so I don't see that changing.

AE Project Lead

(in reply to Buck Beach)
Post #: 14
RE: Editing a save, building roads, RR - 10/4/2010 12:55:26 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

I posted the AE formats a while back ...

Could you please point out where for those of us who missed it?

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 15
RE: Editing a save, building roads, RR - 10/4/2010 4:58:34 PM   
steveh11Matrix

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

BTW, before you continue whining about Matrix, maybe you should attempt to remember that AE originally was meant to require ownership and installation of stock WitP, but because of the pressure of players, Matrix removed that requirement, delaying release of the final product.

Matrix has bent over backwards to accomodate you, so you might show a little bit more gratitude.

I was properly grateful for that - I bought AE after already buying WitP.

Shrug. I support Matrix, in the same way as I support Paradox - I buy their games and publicly praise them on other networks. But neither publisher is perfect, nor are their games. What they (collectively) are, is the best around - so I'll continue to support both of them by buying their products and praising them, while at the same time I'll continue to ask for features I'd like to see, or ones which used to exist and don't any longer. I see no conflict in that, and especially no ingratitude.

Steve.

"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 16
RE: Editing a save, building roads, RR - 10/4/2010 7:37:22 PM   
Smeulders

Disregard

< Message edited by Smeulders -- 10/4/2010 7:38:16 PM >

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 17
RE: Editing a save, building roads, RR - 5/20/2018 12:19:14 AM   
RyanCrierie

The wpae[NUMBER].pws files appear to be encrypted ZIP files, or very similar to them.

Looking around, it appears there are brute force ZIP crackers, but they take up to 30 minutes to run, which makes developing a program to alter US aircraft production every 180th turn (every 6 months) impractical.

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 18
RE: Editing a save, building roads, RR - 5/20/2018 9:32:07 PM   
el cid again

Yes - if you are willing to play RHS - or at least incorporate its map system into a mod of your own.

There are two AE RHS map systems:

Level I is based on stock maps and pwhexe.dat files.

Level II is based on Andrew Brown's Extended map system. But note it is much more extended now (originally
it was the same).

In both systems, you change the pwhex.dat file each season of the war. You also change the pwzlink.dat file
once a year.

In both systems, you have all the historical construction AND the start of game files DO NOT have roads or
railroads that did not exist in 1941 (unlike stock and Andrew Brown's extended maps - which have several
cases of both).

In both systems, you also have an ALTERNATIVE set of construction for the non-strictly historical scenarios.
These are ALL historically PLANNED projects, but they didn't get funded IRL due to lack of pressing strategic
requirements which are assumed might apply in the Japan Enhanced Scenarios.

Detail are explained in the RHS documentation folder. Or you can ask.

RHS Update 3.19

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ap7XOIkiBuUwhPxFuII1ZkrVQefJBQ

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monterey Jack

First-Bravo Zulu to the creators of this outstanding game. Thank you for your efforts! Question 1-Is there a way to edit a saved game and restart it from the saved point? For example, in a different game I can copy a filename.sav in the saved game folder and copy it as filename.scn in the scenario folder, make the desired changes, and then start the new game. This has saved me boatloads of time marking and recopying unit positions, status, etc., and allows dynamic input from out of game parameters/play. Question 2-Is there a way to build roads and railroads not present on the map (ALCAN highway, Bangkok-Rangoon RR, N.Australia RR)?

Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Editing a save, building roads, RR Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI