Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release date
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is autosave WAD?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War >> Is autosave WAD? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is autosave WAD? - 9/27/2010 8:02:39 PM   
hondo1375

I went to reload an autosaved game and found it was from the turn before last, not the last turn. Is this WAD? Is there some setting I've missed to make it every turn?

First wargame: Jedko's 1st edition "The Russian Campaign". First computer wargame: don't remember the name, but it was on punch cards.
Post #: 1
RE: Is autosave WAD? - 9/27/2010 10:01:56 PM   
mercenarius

Really, the autosave is intended to make a save when you quit the game and forget to save the current game. It really was just a fall-back in case the player clicked on the wrong button when quitting.

However, I have changed this to make an automatic save each turn right before you start your actual Campaign Phase. The game will still make an auto-save when shutting down if there is a current game in progress.

I hope that this will be more natural for the players. If you know the exact point where you want to save a game, you are better off making a manual save, since you won't overwrite it later with another .autosave.dat file.

In case anyone doesn't know, you can do a quick save with the F5 key and save the game as ".quicksave.dat" or you can use the "S" hot key and bring up a save dialog during a battle or on the game map. If the Roman player is moving on the game map you must pause the game first with the "P" hot key. The quick save will silently overwrite any previous .quicksave.dat file.

If you have a dialog open, such as the Help system, you must first close that before you can bring up the save dialog with the "S" hot key.

We should have the game's first patch available tomorrow (Tuesday the 28th).

James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC

(in reply to hondo1375)
Post #: 2
RE: Is autosave WAD? - 9/27/2010 10:18:28 PM   
hondo1375

Thanks for the quick reply James.

I've just been playing around with the game for a couple of hours, but I really like what I see so far. I'll be posting my first impressions in a day or so and a review in a week hopefully.

Three things that come to mind immediately:
1. Would you consider including an undo function at some point please?;
2. I like the warning dialogues that come up like "splitting your forces" - could we have one when you click the execute battle button for the first time and haven't played a battle card when one is available ... I accidentally hit the wrong button in a key battle!
3. Please please please do Persian War 480BC next!

First wargame: Jedko's 1st edition "The Russian Campaign". First computer wargame: don't remember the name, but it was on punch cards.

(in reply to mercenarius)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War >> Is autosave WAD? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI