Green Book: The Lorraine Campaign

Post new maps, scenarios, estabs and mods here to share with other gamers.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

Prince of Eckmühl

Green Book: The Lorraine Campaign

Post by Prince of Eckmühl »

Here's a great resource for anyone who might want to create a short/small scenario for BftB:

http://www.history.army.mil/books/wwii/ ... ntent.html

It's chock full of maps and OOB data for the fighting in the fall of 1944. It's largely contemporaneous to the Ardennes Offensive (all the old German equipment has been destroyed in Normandy), so the aspiring scenario designer wouldn't have to do much, perhaps nothing, in the way of building weapons or units.

Attachments
map6.jpg
map6.jpg (119.72 KiB) Viewed 377 times
Government is the opiate of the masses.
Chief Rudiger

RE: Green Book: The Lorraine Campaign

Post by Chief Rudiger »

I have often thought a series of small scenarios like this would be great for demonstrating the intricacies of the engine.

One mission might start by demonstrating how attached tanks can aid infantry in an assualt on a posn which resists indirect artillery fire. The second phase of the scenario might be against a feature which prevents this armd support, but demonstrates that the mobility of a small force of armd cars or armd infantry equipped only with mortars can have an impact uot of all proportion to its size.

The scenario might culminate in a set piece battle between two identical force, which has reached stalemate, and challenges the player to break into the enemys rear with a small force and disrupt his artillery, command and logistics and therefore allow the mainforce, now no longer impeded by orders delay, to attack successfully.

The hypothetical maps might start in a linear way, say 10's of Km long but only 2-3 wide, or bounded by impasssible terrain, so as limit the players options, until the finale when multiple routes are offered, only one of which is feasible given the force mix offered by the particular random reinforcement schedule.

PS. One thing i hate about most contour maps, like the one above, is that unless contour labels are placed frequently you can sometimes mistake a hill for a depression, unless there's a river or some other feature giving it context. If, in addition, a hillshade or coloured layer background is used like in AA/Command Ops the contours are given alot more immediate effect. I love the new feature in BFTB mapmaker letting you cut and past terrain shapes from one altitude layer to the next, otherwise i'd never get anywhere with a map!
Merv0728

Post by Merv0728 »

P o E,
the book you speak of is £75.00 ($118.00) for a used copy on Amazon.

Alan
FredSanford3

Post by FredSanford3 »

It looks like it's all available online.

Post by Merv0728 »

Hi Franklin,
Yes I already have it,but it somehow isn't the same as sitting down in a nice armchair & reading a book.

Alan
FredSanford3

Post by FredSanford3 »

For $118, I can pull any chair in the house up to my computer desk.

Post by Merv0728 »

I didn't mean I had the book,just the download.
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

The Lorrain campaign would be ideal for scenarios for BFTB. As PoE says, there would be little in the way of estab work required.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Major SNAFU_M

Post by Major SNAFU_M »

Osprey also published a book called Lorraine 1944 (part of the Campaign 75 series).  I have long thought it would be fun to play this in a game and thought about it for TOAW III but never committed to the editor to build it.

"Popular Opinion? What I suggest you do with 'Popular Opinion' is biologically impossible and morally questionable." -

"One ping to find them all,
One ping to link them;
One ping to promote them all,
and in the darkness sink them"
sburke1959

Post by sburke1959 »

You can pick up the whole WW2 Green book archive on disk from Paperless Archive for $99. They have very frequent sales of it as well, just get on their mailing list. It seems like they run the sale every other month from the amount of email I get.

I agree it isn't the same as having the books and more importantly maps where you can hold it in your hand, but it is a close second. Especially if you want to carry Normandy, the Bulge, Lorraine etc all with you when you travel. [;)]
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

ORIGINAL: sburke1959

...Especially if you want to carry Normandy, the Bulge, Lorraine etc all with you when you travel. [;)]
The green book hard copies do come in handy. Here is your's truly at the Ouren Bridge on the Our River with Cole' Bulge book in hand[:D]

Attachments
Ouren2.jpg
Ouren2.jpg (76.02 KiB) Viewed 374 times
simovitch

johndoesecond

Post by johndoesecond »

e on the Our Riv

He, nice to see you studying for our enjoyments.

BTW, cool AFV.
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Yes and I can tell you from personal experience that he drives it on the one hand like a rally car and on the other like it was armoured and he has nothing to fear.[:)]
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

This is a very interesting situation for several scenarios. How easy is the mapmaker to use?
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

It's easy enough but it does take time to develop the contours. So you need to be patient.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Major SNAFU_M

Post by Major SNAFU_M »

I can second that. I took me a while to make a "ghost" of the map to load into the mapmaker but I am progressing slowly.

My struggle at the moment is trying to get the roads to join together nicely and look right.

Is there some some sort of attach point to a line function that I might be missing?

"Popular Opinion? What I suggest you do with 'Popular Opinion' is biologically impossible and morally questionable." -

"One ping to find them all,
One ping to link them;
One ping to promote them all,
and in the darkness sink them"
joeyeti

Post by joeyeti »

Nope, everything must be "connected" by hand (i.e. overlap it nicely manually).
Joe
Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

Well finally aquired physical copies of the Lorraine campaign by Cole and the Siegfried Line campaign by McDonald. The maps look fantastic! Too bad this forum is on its last legs for CO.
Merv0728

Post by Merv0728 »

Is it my pc or what ? I can no longer get into www.history.army.mil/books !!!

Alan
Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

You are correct I get a 403 forbidden warning that I don't have access to view books on this site when I try and look it up.

Any comment on the Lorraine campaign by the way?

remember Prince EKKmul posted that link in 2010 some 4 years ago now. small wonder the link no longer works.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”