Matrix Games Forums

Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual previewThe fight for Armageddon begins!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A real shame this game is not more popular

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> A real shame this game is not more popular Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A real shame this game is not more popular - 9/24/2010 9:03:16 PM   
Scott900091

I know this is pretty late but in my opinion this is one of the top grand strategy games I've played.

As far as grand strategy goes I think the scale of the game is perfect, while some complain about the 3 month turns, you have to understand this is being played from a GRAND SCALE, I feel many grand strategy games just don't get it right. You even have to look at the units this way for example one armored unit would actually represent a number of armored divisions as well as mechanized infrantry.

The game system on supply and logistics is also done almost perfect. This recreates many of same issues the countries faced in the war such as Germany's attack on russia and the difficulty in maintaining supplies to the front line troops as they got deeper into Soviet territory.

It plays and looks like a board game and I love board games. I remember many years ago seeing a copy of the original Axis and Allies game and AWD looks very similar.

I honestly think alot of people just don't get it as far as the game goes, either because they don't bother to read the manual and take in the rules and realize this all makes the game much more realistic again from a grand strategy point of view and the patches and mods have improved on the game even more.

I'm sure I'll still be playing this many years from now.

Post #: 1
RE: A real shame this game is not more popular - 9/25/2010 2:00:34 AM   
Torplexed

Yes....it's a shame. This was a pretty active forum for a time. Now just dust and cobwebs.

I think a lot of gamers glanced at the map scale of GG's World at War and were immediately turned off. If there aren't hundreds of hexes of territory and oodles of divisions and brigades it's a big turn-off for many. "Germany proper is just two areas on the board? How can that be deep or immersive?" However, the game has a great deal going on under the hood, sometimes to the point where just moving one supply unit and how you move it can have a far-reaching effect. Despite a somewhat predictable AI It's the only repeat playable grand-strategic WWII game I have ever found. Hearts of Irony is a spastic mess and World in Flames seems to spin on and on in an endless development cycle.

I do enjoy the mega-unit games like War in the Pacific, but sometimes it's nice to have a game where you can easily grasp all the basic mechanics and see the big picture clearly.

Kudos to a neglected gem.

(in reply to Scott900091)
Post #: 2
RE: A real shame this game is not more popular - 9/27/2010 3:05:09 AM   
Lebatron

This game was always meant to appeal to the Axis and Allies guys that wanted more out of that game. I believe it succeeded perfectly in delivering on those wishes. But where the game has failed is purely in getting the message out the the A&A clubs and forums that there is a game that will compleatly satisfy them. Once they switch to AWD they would likely never return to A&A. But that's a hard sell. Most A&A diehards won't even give this game a chance.

Jesse LeBreton, AKA Lebatron
Development team- GG's WAW A World Divided

(in reply to Torplexed)
Post #: 3
RE: A real shame this game is not more popular - 12/9/2010 3:27:52 AM   
PolarNight

Just introduced to this game. die hard AA board player and I was converted in one sitting. Enjoyed it even with his laughter at my complete lack of transport and supply (not adv) lost the day from the get go. Only thing now is how to save my game. redownloaded the game and reinstalled hope it fixes the problem.

< Message edited by PolarNight -- 12/9/2010 3:30:06 AM >

8) Easy Day (8

Post #: 4
RE: A real shame this game is not more popular - 12/9/2010 3:31:02 AM   
PolarNight

test

8) Easy Day (8

(in reply to PolarNight)
Post #: 5
RE: A real shame this game is not more popular - 12/11/2010 11:20:01 PM   
Scott900091

This game has everything I've always wanted in a WWII game, abstract like A&A, realistic and historical. I get so sick of other grand strategy games that want to turn WWII in some kiddy fake crap where Germany conquers the world with ease and has almost unlimited resources. Unfortunately in seems by the lack of forum activity not everybody agrees with me. Other games like Steel panthers still has a huge following and a very supportive modding community. For whatever reason AWD lacks this and it probably turns off people from buying the game.

(in reply to PolarNight)
Post #: 6
RE: A real shame this game is not more popular - 1/20/2011 8:44:57 AM   
warishere

Hex based gameplay is just more popular among wargamers.

Post #: 7
RE: A real shame this game is not more popular - 1/21/2011 2:33:33 AM   
Bibbo

I'm one of those guys who was playing this game(4-5 or more simultaneously)all the time. I loved it. It's not that I tired of the game but rather once you found out there was really only one or two axis stategy plays that worked it grew predictable and each game was a replay of the last. i meanb the Russia squeeze...Germany attacks from the west and Japan from the east or if Britain was careless and left the island poorly defended..try a Sealion. And you needed to knock out Russia or England before the USA arrived in force. Going to Africa..a waste for axis. Also impossible to defent the Mediterranian coast..Italy,Greece, Yugoslavia from Allied attack.

Post #: 8
RE: A real shame this game is not more popular - 1/22/2011 7:17:58 PM   
boudi

Ready to play a PBEM game.

Looking for an 4.040 Global Glory opponent (patch 1.040) , Advanced supply, FOW, etc...

Any side , about 1 turn/day.

Please contact by email. ( boudi001 at gmail.com )(convert at by @ of course, because antispam)

Thanks.

(in reply to Bibbo)
Post #: 9
RE: A real shame this game is not more popular - 3/2/2011 5:40:43 AM   
jomni

Recently bought this game after playing all the Gary Grigsby monster games (UV, WITE, WITP, EDTBOTR).
Very nice and streamlined World War 2 experience.

My Blog
Random Wargame Name Generator

(in reply to boudi)
Post #: 10
RE: A real shame this game is not more popular - 3/2/2011 5:41:37 AM   
jomni

<double post>

< Message edited by jomni -- 3/2/2011 5:42:11 AM >

My Blog
Random Wargame Name Generator

(in reply to boudi)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> A real shame this game is not more popular Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI