Executed for Crimes Committed During the Civil War

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Canoerebel

Executed for Crimes Committed During the Civil War

Post by Canoerebel »

Ladies and Gents,

Given the broad extent of the knowledge and experience in and about military matters among forum members, I wondered if any of you Civil War experts might have an opinion on an issue I'm wrestling with at the moment.

Many sources assert that Confederate Major Henry Wirz, commandant of Camp Sumter (Andersonville Prison) was the only man executed for war crimes following the Civil War. However, a few sources assert that he was one of two, the other being Champ Ferguson, who was a Confederate guerilla fighter who "might" have received some kind of commission in a regular partisan cavalry unit.

I'm writing a brief magazine article about this, and I'm inclined to put it this way: "Major Henry Wirz was the only member of the regular Confederate forces to be executed for war crimes following the end of the Civil War."

Do any of you know differently, or think that I could word it more accurately?

Thanks,

Canoe (my real name is Dan) Rebel
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
ilovestrategy

RE: Executed for Crimes Committed During the Civil War

Post by ilovestrategy »

I would write a brief sentence about the other guy and stress that he wasn't a regular member. If you totally omit him you'll get someone writing a letter stating the omission. 
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

Return to “General Discussion”