Matrix Games Forums

New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Game Manual Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem >> Tech Support >> Game Manual Questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game Manual Questions - 9/17/2010 8:15:40 AM   
STIENER

Gents
got some questions after reading the manual....

1] if a bridge that can be blown up is captured by the allies and the germans booted off the map...and the germans move back onto the map and recapture the bridge..can the germans blow it up?

2] Reforming and reinforcements......do the force pools change as the game progress's? not sure if i read that part right??

3] Strategic Move......if an allied and german BG are both on the same map and you want to fight, do you have to give an "attack" order? or will they fight with out any order given?
you can give them both "rest"orders and they wont fight. right?

4] Merge......can you give a BG 2 orders? a merge order and an attack / move order??
5] if you merge are you still resting?

6] if you have 2 stacked BG's and an enemy BG on a map can 1 BG be attacking the enemy and the reserve BG resting?

7] can you trace a supply line across a working ferry?

8] for an assault crossing....where on the strat screen do you find that you have support availible??

thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Game Manual Questions - 9/18/2010 6:46:23 PM   
xe5

1] Yes.

2] Disbanded BGs do not 'reform'. BG Forcepools change during the game due to several causes:
a) some BGs get reinforced one or more times [17.9]
b) BGs may be merged
c) Disbanded BGs may have their forcepools absorbed by another BG [17.8]
d) A BG's forcepool may be modified according to the date it first appears. eg. if the 1st Air Landing Bde is used in a custom battle set on Sept 26th will have a much smaller forcepool than if the battle is set on Sept 17th.

3] No. Yes. Yes.

4] No, the second order will supersede the first.

5] Unknown but one would assume so.

6] Yes.

7] Yes, but it reduces the effects of a major supply source to a minor source.

8] On the left side of the Stategic screen, below the airdop supplies indicator. Image below shows Assault Crossing support as available (left) and unavailable (right).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to STIENER)
Post #: 2
RE: Game Manual Questions - 9/19/2010 5:37:21 AM   
STIENER

Thanks Xe5

4]a] so you can only give a BG one order at a time then? theroretically you could give a merge order and fight an enemy BG on the same map... as you dont have to give an attack order to fight an enemy BG on the same map...right?
4]b] if you have 2 stacked BG's on a map and NO enemy BG on the same map, then you could ONLY merge the 2 BG's OR move them.......right?

If you move your german BG onto a map with a BO BG, does the BO BG automatically merge with the BG that moved onto the map? thats what i got out of another post here......not sure thats in the manual??

thanks

(in reply to xe5)
Post #: 3
RE: Game Manual Questions - 9/19/2010 6:34:36 AM   
RD_Knights_X

Xe5....you told Steiner "4] No, the second order will supersede the first." to his question "Merge......can you give a BG 2 orders? a merge order and an attack / move order??"

This isn't correct as I understand it. The last para of 17.12.5 says that the merge operation only occurs as the movement order is executed. I haven't actually done this yet, but that says to me that you oder a merge for one BG and a movement for the other BG. The stronger BG controls the outcome of the merger to form the final BG. I'm playing a GC against the AI at the moment and will see if I verify this for you guys....unless you have experience trying to merge and move to a new map and it hasn't worked.

If I'm incorrect on this, then the manual should be clarified on this point...which means I get to write the clarification.

(in reply to STIENER)
Post #: 4
RE: Game Manual Questions - 9/19/2010 10:45:10 AM   
kojusoki1

quote:

ORIGINAL: xe5
[..].
a) some BGs get reinforced one or more times [17.9]
[...]

So If I make a mod will my forcepools be changed also? Or one can set it up somehow?

(in reply to xe5)
Post #: 5
RE: Game Manual Questions - 9/19/2010 3:30:02 PM   
xe5

@Stiener -

4a] You cannot give a BG more than one of the following ('active') orders:
Attack
Move
Relieve
Rest
Merge
Disband

You can combine support/supply drop orders with each other, and/or one of the above 'active' orders.

4b] You could Merge, Move, Attack (if an enemy BG were adjacent), Rest or Disband. If available, you could also order one or more support missions and/or a supply drop. Additionally, none of the above is always a choice.

The b.o. BG is automatically merged when an Axis BG moves onto a map with a b.o. BG. If two Axis BGs move onto the map, the static BG merges with the frontline BG. (edit - hopefully this will be changed in the next patch so that static BGs dont auto-merge)

@Knights_X -

Your understanding of 17.12.5 isnt correct. A merge order supersedes any previous orders given to the BGs involved and is automatically applied to both. If an 'active' order is subsequently issued to either of the BGs involved in a merge, the merge is cncelled. I would recommend changing that para to: "The actual merge does not occur until you Execute the movement phase of the strategic turn..."

I have a laundry list of other suggestions/questions for improving and clarifying the LSA manual. It would also be a good idea to collate a FAQ to address those issues that will inevitably escape the manual.

@kojusoki1 -

It's very simple to edit FPools.txt to modify or delete any reinforcements. The current version of Triarius' Excel editor for LSA removes all BG reinforcements by default.

< Message edited by xe5 -- 9/19/2010 3:32:54 PM >

(in reply to kojusoki1)
Post #: 6
RE: Game Manual Questions - 9/19/2010 7:50:24 PM   
RD_Knights_X

Xe5....thx for the clarification. LSA is for more complicated than the previous two CC make-overs....which, of course, makes it more fun to play.

Regarding your suggestion for a FAQ, not a bad idea. I would welcome any help to accomplish that task. If you're interested, send me a PM on the Forum.

Thx for your input!

(in reply to xe5)
Post #: 7
RE: Game Manual Questions - 9/30/2010 9:07:56 AM   
STIENER

another question gents.......

if you voluntarily disband in supply [ in a strat move ] do you lose any troops. im sure the manual doesnt cover this.

(in reply to RD_Knights_X)
Post #: 8
RE: Game Manual Questions - 9/30/2010 6:45:19 PM   
xe5

quote:

ORIGINAL: STIENER - if you voluntarily disband in supply [ in a strat move ] do you lose any troops[?]

Based on my limited testing, depending on the disbanding BG's circumstances you can lose troops or gain troops. When BGs are stacked it appears that, if the frontline BG disbands, all of its troops are lost. However, if the reserve BG disbands when stacked, troops are gained. Troops are also gained by an adjacent BG when a non-stacked BG disbands.

eg. 1/501/101 is stacked in reserve with 501/101. 1/505/101 disbands. As a result, 501/101 gets a net gain of: 2x Platoon HQs, 3x Rifle teams, 1x Sniper, 1x Bazooka, 1x .30 Cal MMG, & 1x .30 Cal LMG. This is in addition to gaining all of the forcepool from 1/501/101.

What's really odd is that neither BG had any .30 Cal LMG teams prior to 501/101 absorbing the disbanded 1/501/101 forcepool. Other disband tests produced different teams (2-man BAR, Ad-hoc Rifle) that neither BG possessed prior to one BG absorbing a disbanded BG's forcepool.

(in reply to STIENER)
Post #: 9
RE: Game Manual Questions - 9/30/2010 7:09:23 PM   
RD_Oddball

Similar to what Mick has found:

quote:

Disband is basically telling your troops to break up into small groups and try and get back to friendly lines if they can.

If you disband in LSA the battle group is gone for good. Some troops may reach nearby (same map or adjacent map) friendly battle groups from the same parent formation, and join their force pool.

You will always lose some teams from your FP when you disband unless you're playing on 'Recruit' (or a voluntary disband on 'Green'). You may also lose teams that were in your active BG teams if it was an involuntary disband or
you were out of supply or fuel at the time.

Steve

(in reply to xe5)
Post #: 10
RE: Game Manual Questions - 9/30/2010 8:17:06 PM   
xe5

I was seeing those net forcepool gains after a voluntary disband at Line difficulty.

(in reply to RD_Oddball)
Post #: 11
RE: Game Manual Questions - 9/30/2010 11:14:54 PM   
STIENER

thanks ...thats very interesting. and not in the manual , im pretty sure.

(in reply to xe5)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem >> Tech Support >> Game Manual Questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI