Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Oh no! This could lead to a Thread War!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Oh no! This could lead to a Thread War! Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Oh no! This could lead to a Thread War! - 9/16/2010 5:02:43 PM   
BrucePowers

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

quote:

Are you guys SURE that you are not lawyers? If we get anymore into it . I'm going to expect a demand for alimoony next!

No, Steve, that comes when you and I split up.

I understand exactly where you are coming from. Mynok and I had exactly 6 HR's in our CHS game and I don't even know if half of them came into play. "No gamey moves" covers 75% of most usual HR's. On the other hand, I don't mind playing with some HR's as long as they are explained to me, and I can understand what they mean. What do you think about my "evaluation" of Rasmus' input from his game?

It all sounds fine Mike. At this point , I'm at the point , that I really don't have much to say. Do what you all want , then explain it to me when your done. Tell me what you want and I'll do it. But I've got to wonder what it would be like to play monoploy with you guys.Would it have a two volume set of abridgements?

Nope. I make opponents mortgage their properties if they owe $1 though. Nothing personal, it's just business.

Always, otherwise that game will last 8 hours. And no money on free parking! It ain't in the rules.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 121
RE: Oh no! This could lead to a Thread War! - 9/16/2010 5:14:19 PM   
USS America

Bruce, do you have any insights, tips, or advice for a 2 x 2 game?  I know you've had experience with at least one...

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 122
RE: Oh no! This could lead to a Thread War! - 9/16/2010 5:20:41 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Are you guys SURE that you are not lawyers? If we get anymore into it . I'm going to expect a demand for alimoony next!

No, Steve, that comes when you and I split up.

I understand exactly where you are coming from. Mynok and I had exactly 6 HR's in our CHS game and I don't even know if half of them came into play. "No gamey moves" covers 75% of most usual HR's. On the other hand, I don't mind playing with some HR's as long as they are explained to me, and I can understand what they mean. What do you think about my "evaluation" of Rasmus' input from his game?

It all sounds fine Mike. At this point , I'm at the point , that I really don't have much to say. Do what you all want , then explain it to me when your done. Tell me what you want and I'll do it. But I've got to wonder what it would be like to play monoploy with you guys.Would it have a two volume set of abridgements?

Nope. I make opponents mortgage their properties if they owe $1 though. Nothing personal, it's just business.

Always, otherwise that game will last 8 hours. And no money on free parking! It ain't in the rules.

Darn tootin'.

Post #: 123
RE: Oh no! This could lead to a Thread War! - 9/16/2010 5:22:03 PM   
Lifer

Matrix has a chat room?  Learned something new today.  No one is there right now.  Could there be a conspiracy to keep this hidden?  Might The Thread be done away with in favor of the chat room?

Good luck to both sides (more luck to the Allies though).

Greg

Man does not enter battle to fight, but for victory. He does everything that he can to avoid the first and obtain the second.
Ardant du Picq

(in reply to USS America)
Post #: 124
RE: Oh no! This could lead to a Thread War! - 9/16/2010 7:54:48 PM   
USS America

I've updated the first post with our confirmed patch level, scenario, game settings, and house rules.  As of now, we are going to wait until Friday for a response about the release of a DB patch.  If everyone else no longer wants to wait until then, I'm cool. 

When the time comes, one of you Jap guys will have to start a new game from Scenario 1.  Please confirm all of the agreed settings are correct before starting.  We will all need to have the "save game slot" that is used by the first Jap player available.  I'd like to request slot 17, unless someone else already has a game saved in that slot.

Turn processing procedure:
1.  Either Jap player starts a new game, issues orders, saves the game without ending the turn.  Sends the save game to other Jap player.  Share the Jap password with other Jap player. 
2.  Second Jap player opens save game, issues orders, then ends the turn.  Send save game to both Allies (optional to other Jap player).
3.  Either Allied player opens the save game, creates a new Allied password, issues orders, saves without ending the turn.  Send the save and password to other Allied player.
4.  Second Allied player opens the save game, issues orders, then ends the turn.  Send save game to both Japs (optional to other Allied player).
5.  Either Jap player opens the save game, runs the turn execution.  Send the Combat Replay (save game slot 001) to other 3 players.  Each other player can run the CR and if they enter the password for their side, it will generate ops and combat reports for their side.
6.  Either Jap player then returns to step 1 and the order repeats.

It never should matter which player from a side issues orders first, or which Jap player runs the combat execution.  I recommend good communication to your partner when you start to issue orders, so both don't end up issuing them at the same time, and one will have to repeat them.

Whew!  All that typing has made me thirsty.  It's a shame I'm still at the office, but only 1 hour until parole. 

< Message edited by USS America -- 9/16/2010 7:59:41 PM >

Mike

(in reply to Lifer)
Post #: 125
RE: Oh no! This could lead to a Thread War! - 9/16/2010 10:28:10 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

I've updated the first post with our confirmed patch level, scenario, game settings, and house rules.  As of now, we are going to wait until Friday for a response about the release of a DB patch.  If everyone else no longer wants to wait until then, I'm cool. 

When the time comes, one of you Jap guys will have to start a new game from Scenario 1.  Please confirm all of the agreed settings are correct before starting.  We will all need to have the "save game slot" that is used by the first Jap player available.  I'd like to request slot 17, unless someone else already has a game saved in that slot.

1.  Either Jap player starts a new game, issues orders, saves the game without ending the turn.  Sends the save game to other Jap player.  Share the Jap password with other Jap player. 
2.  Second Jap player opens save game, issues orders, then ends the turn.  Send save game to both Allies (optional to other Jap player).
3.  Either Allied player opens the save game, creates a new Allied password, issues orders, saves without ending the turn.  Send the save and password to other Allied player.
4.  Second Allied player opens the save game, issues orders, then ends the turn.  Send save game to both Japs (optional to other Allied player).
5.  Either Jap player opens the save game, runs the turn execution.  Send the Combat Replay (save game slot 001) to other 3 players.  Each other player can run the CR and if they enter the password for their side, it will generate ops and combat reports for their side.

It never should matter which player from a side issues orders first, or which Jap player runs the combat execution.  I recommend good communication to your partner when you start to issue orders, so both don't end up issuing them at the same time, and one will have to repeat them.

Whew!  All that typing has made me thirsty.  It's a shame I'm still at the office, but only 1 hour until parole. 

Excellent summary and recommendations, Gai...I mean Mike.

We should talk about patches and agree to make a unanimous group decision about patching before any one of us does it independently. This includes hotfixes, as far as I'm concerned. With four of us the risks of file corruption increase significantly.

So how are you two dividing your efforts / responsibilities?

Either of you doing an AAR? What is the role of the "THREAD WAR" AAR? I don't recall from WiTP days how that worked.

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 9/16/2010 10:29:18 PM >

Post #: 126
RE: Oh no! This could lead to a Thread War! - 9/16/2010 10:37:10 PM   
USS America

quote:

quote:

We should talk about patches and agree to make a unanimous group decision about patching before any one of us does it independently. This includes hotfixes, as far as I'm concerned. With four of us the risks of file corruption increase significantly.

Either of you doing an AAR? What is the role of the "THREAD WAR" AAR? I don't recall from WiTP days how that worked.

Great point about any and all patches being applied at the same time for all of us, in the "recommended" process.

I think we are going to be doing an AAR. I'll contribute as much as I can to it, when I can, as will Steve-O. Oh, the "THREAD WAR" AAR was mostly for the type of things we've been doing in this BAR, and then they used it to post when someone was "taking the turn", so partners could check there before starting to enter orders, and also to see "where" the turn is. As far as I'm concerned, we can continue to use this one the same way, if you guys like the idea. They started as a 3 x 3, so they needed to be very organized to keep from overwriting someone else's orders.

We are dividing our efforts and responsibilities into two groups. The one's we know about, and the one's you guys don't know about.

Are you guys doing the traditional Army/Navy thing?

Mike

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 127
RE: Oh no! This could lead to a Thread War! - 9/16/2010 10:51:50 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Great point about any and all patches being applied at the same time for all of us, in the "recommended" process.

I think we are going to be doing an AAR. I'll contribute as much as I can to it, when I can, as will Steve-O. Oh, the "THREAD WAR" AAR was mostly for the type of things we've been doing in this BAR, and then they used it to post when someone was "taking the turn", so partners could check there before starting to enter orders, and also to see "where" the turn is. As far as I'm concerned, we can continue to use this one the same way, if you guys like the idea. They started as a 3 x 3, so they needed to be very organized to keep from overwriting someone else's orders.

We are dividing our efforts and responsibilities into two groups. The one's we know about, and the one's you guys don't know about.

We'll be playing the Japanese.

ETA:

Post #: 128
RE: Oh no! This could lead to a Thread War! - 9/16/2010 11:06:03 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

We'll be playing the Japanese.

ETA:

Yes you are. That means the Army can't talk to the Navy and vice versa. Or if you do it has to result in screaming at each other and a Katana duel! Anything else is just plain gamey!

"Geezerhood is a state of mind, attained by being largely out of yours". AW1Steve

"Quit whining and play the game. Or go home". My 7th grade baseball coach. It applies well to WITP AE players.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 129
RE: Oh no! This could lead to a Thread War! - 9/16/2010 11:09:27 PM   
Mynok

I will fart coded messages to him, maintaining appropriate appearances of disdain, while providing necessary coordination info.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 130
RE: Oh no! This could lead to a Thread War! - 9/16/2010 11:09:31 PM   
AW1Steve

Oh and BTW , if you can call us Gaijin, I get to use some of the more "colorfull" GI adjetives for "sons of Nippon". I've been too Japan and yes I know what Gaijin means.

"Geezerhood is a state of mind, attained by being largely out of yours". AW1Steve

"Quit whining and play the game. Or go home". My 7th grade baseball coach. It applies well to WITP AE players.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 131
RE: Oh no! This could lead to a Thread War! - 9/17/2010 2:42:04 AM   
BrucePowers

quote:

Bruce, do you have any insights, tips, or advice for a 2 x 2 game?  I know you've had experience with at least one...

It didn't work too well over 7 time zones

All kidding aside it didn't.

Post #: 132
RE: Oh no! This could lead to a Thread War! - 9/17/2010 2:49:55 AM   
BrucePowers

Another serious recommendation. This was figured out by Bob Trapasso. When running the combats as either the IJ or allied player always do a restart right before running the turn. Download the turn from your email. Restart the computer and go to AE withouty doing anything else. This procedure seems to limit the sync bug.

Post #: 133
RE: Oh no! This could lead to a Thread War! - 9/17/2010 2:54:10 AM   
USS America

Thanks, Bruce!  We should be a little better off with all 4 of us within 1 hour of each other.  The recommendation to restart before running the turn execution is a good one.  I think the sync bug is a lot less of a problem in AE, but still great advice.

Mike

Post #: 134
RE: Oh no! This could lead to a Thread War! - 9/17/2010 4:55:47 AM   
Mynok

Erm...I thought Andre was in Minnesota?

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

Post #: 135
RE: Oh no! This could lead to a Thread War! - 9/17/2010 5:04:30 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

Erm...I thought Andre was in Minnesota?

Dang, I thought so too. There's lots of Crimson and Gold "M"s on everything around here.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 136
RE: Oh no! This could lead to a Thread War! - 9/17/2010 11:50:45 AM   
USS America

One hour time differences, you putzes!  

Mike

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 137
RE: Oh no! This could lead to a Thread War! - 9/17/2010 5:51:14 PM   
scott1964

You guys are slacking off. I expected this to be at 10 pages.

Lucky for you, tonight it's just me

Any ship can be a minesweeper..once !! :)

http://suspenseandmystery.blogspot.com/

Post #: 138
RE: Oh no! This could lead to a Thread War! - 9/17/2010 6:20:55 PM   
Grollub

Any ETA on the first turn?

“Pay attention to where you are going because without meaning you might get nowhere.”

-- Winnie the Pooh

(in reply to scott1964)
Post #: 139
RE: Oh no! This could lead to a Thread War! - 9/17/2010 6:26:36 PM   
Chickenboy

Midweek next week would be my guess. We Nipponese liberators will be done with our hard work by then at least.

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 140
RE: Oh no! This could lead to a Thread War! - 9/17/2010 6:28:30 PM   
anarchyintheuk

Gentlemen, if we're diligent, I think we can get this thread to 10 pages prior to aar launch. Let's do this thing!

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 141
RE: Oh no! This could lead to a Thread War! - 9/17/2010 6:30:08 PM   
Grollub

Oooh, good idea and it should be easy ...

Disregard ...

“Pay attention to where you are going because without meaning you might get nowhere.”

-- Winnie the Pooh

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 142
RE: Oh no! This could lead to a Thread War! - 9/17/2010 6:31:49 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grollub

Oooh, good idea and it should be easy ...

Disregard ...

But Onime and Terminus aren't here to do the heavy spambot lifting. However will this thread manage faber-like postings in their absence?

ETA:

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 9/17/2010 6:32:14 PM >

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 143
RE: Oh no! This could lead to a Thread War! - 9/17/2010 6:55:48 PM   
thegreatwent

Not likely

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 144
RE: Oh no! This could lead to a Thread War! - 9/17/2010 6:56:14 PM   
thegreatwent

the members here would never so abuse the AAR section.

(in reply to thegreatwent)
Post #: 145
RE: Oh no! This could lead to a Thread War! - 9/17/2010 6:56:50 PM   
thegreatwent

In order to log 10 pages we would have to show no personal discipline.

Post #: 146
RE: Oh no! This could lead to a Thread War! - 9/17/2010 6:58:16 PM   
USS America

I do so love my Thread Brothers! 

Mike

Post #: 147
RE: Oh no! This could lead to a Thread War! - 9/17/2010 7:00:27 PM   
USS America

It's not quite the end of the day, but it's 1400 on Friday and no reply from the PM I sent inquiring about the Database patch.  Shall we officially allow the Japanese team to start a game and begin the orders phase?  I'm in favor.  

Mike

Post #: 148
RE: Oh no! This could lead to a Thread War! - 9/17/2010 7:04:51 PM   
USS America

quote:

Midweek next week would be my guess. We Nipponese liberators will be done with our hard work by then at least.

Don't forget that Steve will be out of the loop starting next Wednesday. By no means do I want to rush you guys on the first turn. I know how much work it is for the Allied players, and it has to be 10 times more for you. If possible, I would like Steve to be able to work his areas for our first turn before he has to hit the road. If not possible, I think I would prefer to let you Japs take as much time as you need, then take my time on my Allied parts, allowing Steve to do his first turn work when he returns. I just think it's too big of an event for him to have to miss out, or even worse, try to relay orders for me to try to issue.

Mike

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 149
RE: Oh no! This could lead to a Thread War! - 9/17/2010 7:05:46 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

Don't forget that Steve will be out of the loop starting next Wednesday. By no means do I want to rush you guys on the first turn. I know how much work it is for the Allied players, and it has to be 10 times more for you. If possible, I would like Steve to be able to work his areas for our first turn before he has to hit the road. If not possible, I think I would prefer to let you Japs take as much time as you need, then take my time on my Allied parts, allowing Steve to do his first turn work when he returns. I just think it's too big of an event for him to have to miss out, or even worse, try to relay orders for me to try to issue.

Well, we can just do the first few turns without him, can't we?

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Oh no! This could lead to a Thread War! Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI