Matrix Games Forums

New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Horizontal Bars?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris >> Horizontal Bars? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Horizontal Bars? - 9/3/2010 2:52:29 PM   
tgb

I get that the A next to the Nato symbol on a unit means it is carrying artillery, but some units have 1 to 3 bars next to the symbol. What do they represent?
Post #: 1
RE: Horizontal Bars? - 9/3/2010 2:57:05 PM   
gekkoguy82

I think that indicates that the unit is the first, second, or third regiment of the parent division. At least that's what I gather, I could be way off

Great deeds are usually wrought at great risk.

(in reply to tgb)
Post #: 2
RE: Horizontal Bars? - 9/3/2010 2:59:11 PM   
Barthheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: gekkoguy82

I think that indicates that the unit is the first, second, or third regiment of the parent division. At least that's what I gather, I could be way off

This is correct.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to gekkoguy82)
Post #: 3
RE: Horizontal Bars? - 9/3/2010 3:02:11 PM   
Treale

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barthheart

quote:

This is correct.

So the regiments don't have historical designations? Just generic 1,2 or 3?

Tony

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 4
RE: Horizontal Bars? - 9/3/2010 3:10:54 PM   
gekkoguy82

I don't think they do have historical names. They're almost more like brigades, which for example each Army division today has the same 1st, 2nd, 3rd brigade combat team designations instead of individual ones for each div, aside from the one or two independent brigades floating around. The regiments in the game also seem really big to be regiments too, does any one else thnk that too or am I way off? I'm not terrble familiar with unit strengths from back then.

(in reply to Treale)
Post #: 5
RE: Horizontal Bars? - 9/3/2010 3:27:25 PM   
WilliePete

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treale

quote:

quote:

This is correct.

that's correct. Read my post in the Historical Issues section. I'm a little disappointed about this topic. I was told that it would take took much time to research & implement and that the average gamer wouldn't appreciate it and just see it as a bunch of numbers. You can gauge the interest our fellow gamers have about this by the lack of responses I received (zero). Maybe they just don't understand my point? However, if we ever raise enough interest in this and get galvanized to do something about it, then Vic just might add them in or at least put them in the next game.

I want them in there! The basic unit is a regiment after all. Its makes it easier to recognize each regiment, especially when they are stacked, and it adds another layer of historical accuracy. If someone out there thinks they can mod them in this game, I'll do the research. At the very least I'll work on the Germans for the Poland campaign.

(in reply to Treale)
Post #: 6
RE: Horizontal Bars? - 9/3/2010 3:41:11 PM   
Barthheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treale

quote:

quote:

This is correct.

That is also correct. Think of them more as regimental sized battle groups that the division is split nto.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to Treale)
Post #: 7
RE: Horizontal Bars? - 9/3/2010 3:55:44 PM   
WilliePete

quote:

I don't think they do have historical names. They're almost more like brigades, which for example each Army division today has the same 1st, 2nd, 3rd brigade combat team designations instead of individual ones for each div, aside from the one or two independent brigades floating around. The regiments in the game also seem really big to be regiments too, does any one else thnk that too or am I way off? I'm not terrble familiar with unit strengths from back then.

they are definitely modeled as regiments. Yes, there are a few brigades and even ad hoc units like the Grenzschutz regiments and other interesting formations like the SS units, which are regiment in size and do not have the same equipment.

Its even stated in the game manual starting on page 72, under "Division Types." I feel Vic has been fairly accurate with the size and composition of each regiment for each country.

I think he has done a fantastic job with this game. I really like it. I wasn't even following it and was surprised when it was released. Best operational level war game to date!

< Message edited by WilliePete -- 9/3/2010 4:01:12 PM >

(in reply to gekkoguy82)
Post #: 8
RE: Horizontal Bars? - 9/3/2010 4:35:04 PM   
gekkoguy82

quote:

I think he has done a fantastic job with this game. I really like it. I wasn't even following it and was surprised when it was released. Best operational level war game to date!

I couldn't agree more

(in reply to WilliePete)
Post #: 9
RE: Horizontal Bars? - 9/3/2010 5:35:22 PM   
Hexagon

I think that the letters and symbols in counters need a full list of meanings, for example R in the middle of an infatry unit in german army means reserve but not is the same in all armies for example french have the A and B quality mark for units.

For regiment numbers add in the unit name the regiment unit is a good add-on and yes, regiments are regiments in size, think that in the game you dont have crew for support weapons, services... a btl is near to 1.000 soldiers but in WW2 not all are combat soldiers like in WW1, but isnt strange see cookers or office soldiers in add-hoc units or taking the rifle.

< Message edited by Hexagon -- 9/3/2010 5:38:56 PM >

(in reply to gekkoguy82)
Post #: 10
RE: Horizontal Bars? - 9/3/2010 8:53:49 PM   
Treale

Well, having Generic Regiments instead of Historical ones puts this title in the maybe list??

Tony

(in reply to Hexagon)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris >> Horizontal Bars? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI