WWI-WWII Naval War Game

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Dfinan

WWI-WWII Naval War Game

Post by Dfinan »

Anyone know a good current computer game for surface Naval ship combat in WWI to WWII. There was an old computer game called Great Naval Battles from SSI. I would love to see that redone and updated, or maybe take an old Board game like Task Forces Battlewagons and convert it into a computer game.
NefariousKoel

RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game

Post by NefariousKoel »

HPS has it's "Naval Campaigns" series. I've not played them.

http://www.hpssims.com/

NWS has it's own systems you may check out. They have demos, too.

http://yhst-12000246778232.stores.yahoo.net/nawasi.html

Nebogipfel

Post by Nebogipfel »

Hi dfinan,

try this one: WARSHIP COMBAT : NAVIES AT WAR from NWS
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

Storm Eagle's Jutland, if you can live with the DRM; research that before buying. There is a demo to try.
jomni

Post by jomni »

I think Warship Combat fits the bill
Phatguy

Post by Phatguy »

ORIGINAL: NefariousKoel

HPS has it's "Naval Campaigns" series. I've not played them.

http://www.hpssims.com/

NWS has it's own systems you may check out. They have demos, too.

http://yhst-12000246778232.stores.yahoo.net/nawasi.html

I see no demos
My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....
Fallschirmjager

Post by Fallschirmjager »

WW I naval combat really needs a champion right now. It is a unexploited gold mine. The HPS games are terribly simple and not very good.
Jutland is ok but is fatally flawed by giving you too much to command at one time which makes the game completely unwieldy. Add to that a terrible control system and you have a game with promised but it's core gameplay is so flawed as to make it unplayable.

What the industry really needs is a WW 1 game using the WITP engine set in the North Sea and Med. The era of dreadnoughts and battle cruisers and armored cruisers is almost completely untapped.
I would pay $70 with almost no questions asked.
jomni

Post by jomni »

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager
What the industry really needs is a WW 1 game using the WITP engine set in the North Sea and Med.

Too bad War Plan Orange is set in the Pacific.
Was Naval Combat in WWI significant enough to win the war?
Fallschirmjager

ORIGINAL: jomni
What the industry really needs is a WW 1 game using the WITP engine set in the North Sea and Med.

Too bad War Plan Orange is set in the Pacific.
Was Naval Combat in WWI significant enough to win the war?

WPO is fantastic but was always a game that was secondary and once AE was announced was doomed.
Matrix needs to develop a AAA WW1 naval title and promote it as one of their showcase games. I think the game would be both a commercial and critical success.

As to your question. It was said of Jellicoe that he was the only man on either side who could have lost the war in an afternoon.

You can also look at the sheer massive amount of material, money, time and effort placed into programs between 1880-1914 under England, Germany, France, Italy, Austria, Russia and the United States and even nations like Greece, Turkey and Brazil.
There were naval races happening all over the world and massive progressions in technology and massive build ups in navies in terms of numbers of ships.
Lützow

Post by Lützow »

You can also look at the sheer massive amount of material, money, time and effort placed into programs between 1880-1914 under England, Germany, France, Italy, Austria, Russia and the United States and even nations like Greece, Turkey and Brazil.
There were naval races happening all over the world and massive progressions in technology and massive build ups in navies in terms of numbers of ships.

Nobody could have stand against the UK royal navy. World wars in Europe were all about land warfare and that's why we won't see anything on a strategic/operational level, but featuring single battles like Jutland. A WW1 naval game with chances to win for both sides, which is crucial for multiplayer, would be pure fantasy and hence not fun.
NefariousKoel

Post by NefariousKoel »

ORIGINAL: apathetic lurker

Sorry.. that's just the order page. There is a link on NWS' Yahoo store that will take you to their site with more detailed info and links such as the demo. There should be a link at the bottom of each of those title's pages on the one I listed. Just click on them.
I see no demos

Fallschirmjager

ORIGINAL: Lützow

Nobody could have stand against the UK royal navy. World wars in Europe were all about land warfare and that's why we won't see anything on a strategic/operational level, but featuring single battles like Jutland. A WW1 naval game with chances to win for both sides, which is crucial for multiplayer, would be pure fantasy and hence not fun.

The Naval war was closer in August 1914 than at the time of Jutland in terms of numbers of ships. The Royal Navy added many times more ships during the war than did the Germans and outright stole two ships from the Turks to give them even greater numbers.
And the German strategy of the time was to pare down the RN's strength through the use of the naval mine and the submarine. It also came close a few times to isolating parts of the Grand Fleet and engaging it.
A game based on this would be extremely fun. The strategy itself if played out a few hundred times could realistically work enough times for it to make a fun and historically plausible game.

And WITP is in no way balanced. The Allies after 12 months have an overwhelming advantage but there are still hundreds of PBEMs played. So I don't think many people share your sentiments or opinions.
Finally there could be some alternate scenarios that did not devolve into pure fantasy that would also be fun.
The game would be a commercial success. Of that I have no doubt as long as the game was done well and properly marketed.
dogma

Post by dogma »

I believe I ran across pacific war at armchair forums..Great game
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

......and outright stole two ships from the Turks to give them even greater numbers.
Warspite

Is that right? Had the Turkish Government paid for them, only for the Admiralty to take them over without re-imbursing the Turks? Or did the UK pay for the, as then, incomplete vessels?

Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

......and outright stole two ships from the Turks to give them even greater numbers.
Warspite

Is that right? Had they paid for them and the Admiralty took them over without re-imbursing the Turks?

Two ships. Renamed Agincourt and Erin. Seized by the British after the war started. (Their Turkish crews were already there to take delivery.) Turks never got the money back. Both were ordered first by Brazil, who backed out, and then bought by the Turks.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

Warspite

Is that right? Had they paid for them and the Admiralty took them over without re-imbursing the Turks?

Two ships. Renamed Agincourt and Erin. Seized by the British after the war started. (Their Turkish crews were already there to take delivery.) Turks never got the money back. Both were ordered first by Brazil, who backed out, and then bought by the Turks.
Warspite1

Yes, and given Turkey's ultimate decision to join the Central Powers, a sensible decision. The RN could not afford these ships to be used against them.

No doubt actions like these could be said to have helped push the Turks toward Germany, so paying for the ships - as the British did with Chile and the Latorre and Cochrane - might have been the better course of action.....

SireChaos

Post by SireChaos »

Warspite

Warspite1

Yes, and given Turkey's ultimate decision to join the Central Powers, a sensible decision. The RN could not afford these ships to be used against them.

No doubt actions like these could be said to have helped push the Turks toward Germany, so paying for the ships - as the British did with Chile and the Latorre and Cochrane - might have been the better course of action.....

Ask yourself... had the British not stolen these ships, would the Turks ever have joined the Central Powers?
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

There really isn't any way to know for sure which way they would of gone. However, the Turkish military was divided on which way to go. Their navy was pro British, while the army was pro German.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: SireChaos

Warspite1

Ask yourself... had the British not stolen these ships, would the Turks ever have joined the Central Powers?
Warspite1

Sirechaos - I clearly did ask the question - hence my response [&:][8|]

You have clearly made up your mind - it does not mean you are right........

hellfirejet

Post by hellfirejet »

WW I naval combat really needs a champion right now. It is a unexploited gold mine. The HPS games are terribly simple and not very good.
Jutland is ok but is fatally flawed by giving you too much to command at one time which makes the game completely unwieldy. Add to that a terrible control system and you have a game with promised but it's core gameplay is so flawed as to make it unplayable.

What the industry really needs is a WW 1 game using the WITP engine set in the North Sea and Med. The era of dreadnoughts and battle cruisers and armored cruisers is almost completely untapped.
I would pay $70 with almost no questions asked.

I'm in total agreement with that,the closest game for WW1 naval is War Plan Orange,but unfortunately I had to add Germanys High seas fleet to it my self using the editor,I have also added all of Britains Pre-Dreadnoughts,Battlecruisers,Armoured cruisers + a load off French,Italian etc,I just wish they would do an Admirals Edition!
Regards,
Graham.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction! Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller

Return to “General Discussion”