Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

It would be REALLY helpful if ......

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris >> It would be REALLY helpful if ...... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
It would be REALLY helpful if ...... - 8/28/2010 8:20:38 AM   
sanderz

.... when you click on an HQ all the subordinate units glow or something as i find i very time consuming to track units and keep formations together

enjoying the game :)

doc
Post #: 1
RE: It would be REALLY helpful if ...... - 8/28/2010 8:40:44 AM   
sanderz

also - why do some of the NATO unit symbols  seem to be wrong (or at least misleading) e.g. it shows Infantry when its actually Artillery (if i switch to pictures it shows Artillery which was correct).

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 2
RE: It would be REALLY helpful if ...... - 8/28/2010 8:55:14 AM   
sanderz

a personal preference but it would be nice to see a main map filter to show controlled territory

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 3
RE: It would be REALLY helpful if ...... - 8/28/2010 9:12:18 AM   
Sheytan

All the commands are color coded. You can also delve the OOB tab to list specifics.

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 4
RE: It would be REALLY helpful if ...... - 8/28/2010 9:14:15 AM   
Sheytan

It does. The Strategic map and the ZOC border fufills this function.

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanderz

a personal preference but it would be nice to see a main map filter to show controlled territory

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 5
RE: It would be REALLY helpful if ...... - 8/28/2010 9:41:51 AM   
Sheytan

Forgot to add, the supply pathing overlay is also a good way to see things on the map as well. I never really needed a coloured overlay to see what was up though with the ZOC borders.

(in reply to Sheytan)
Post #: 6
RE: It would be REALLY helpful if ...... - 8/28/2010 10:07:53 AM   
JMass

quote:

also - why do some of the NATO unit symbols  seem to be wrong (or at least misleading) e.g. it shows Infantry when its actually Artillery (if i switch to pictures it shows Artillery which was correct).

Those artillery units have a point over an "A" at the left of the NATO symbol (it is a bit small, maybe).

"Klotzen, nicht Kleckern!"Generaloberst Heinz Wilhelm Guderian

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 7
RE: It would be REALLY helpful if ...... - 8/28/2010 10:15:01 AM   
JMass

quote:

.... when you click on an HQ all the subordinate units glow or something as i find i very time consuming to track units and keep formations together

+1, colors sometimes are less distinguished and units stacked below are hidden.

I would have also a button or hotkey to minimize the information bar (sometimes I need to see just the Unit base Info screen), on my laptop with resolution 1280x800 the map portion visible is very small.

"Klotzen, nicht Kleckern!"Generaloberst Heinz Wilhelm Guderian

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 8
RE: It would be REALLY helpful if ...... - 8/28/2010 10:29:14 AM   
Blind Sniper

quote:

I would have also a button or hotkey to minimize the information bar (sometimes I need to see just the Unit base Info screen), on my laptop with resolution 1280x800 the map portion visible is very small.

+1, I have a laptop too.

Advanced Squad Leader; Grand Tactical Series; Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager; War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

(in reply to JMass)
Post #: 9
RE: It would be REALLY helpful if ...... - 8/28/2010 12:13:04 PM   
JameyCribbs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blind Sniper

quote:

+1, I have a laptop too.

+1, My laptop's resolution is 1366X768, which seems to be a popular one these days, the amount of visible map on the screen is miniscule.

(in reply to Blind Sniper)
Post #: 10
RE: It would be REALLY helpful if ...... - 8/28/2010 3:00:39 PM   
sanderz

when you click on a unit you can see what HQ it belongs to and eg for the GER 12th Division its "Wodrig Corps" - BUT when you click on it it doesn't centre on Wodrig Corps

also, when clicking on a unit it displays other units in the hex - all fine - but what i think would also be useful is a display with all other units in the formation that you can click on to centre on the unit e.g. at the moment i just can't find the Artillery that belongs to the 12th division (and the OOB doesn't seem to help here - it doesn't centre on the selected unit) - am i missing something here?

what i'd still like to see all units in a formation hightlighted when you click on the HQ (or possibly when you click on any units in the formation)

(in reply to JameyCribbs)
Post #: 11
RE: It would be REALLY helpful if ...... - 8/28/2010 3:06:00 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: JameyCribbs

quote:

quote:

+1, I have a laptop too.

+1, My laptop's resolution is 1366X768, which seems to be a popular one these days, the amount of visible map on the screen is miniscule.

I have the same resolution on my laptop. I agree.

(in reply to JameyCribbs)
Post #: 12
RE: It would be REALLY helpful if ...... - 8/28/2010 4:33:08 PM   
Wolfe

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: JameyCribbs

quote:

quote:

+1, I have a laptop too.

I have the same resolution on my laptop. I agree.

+1,With a 1280x800 laptop I agree as well

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 13
RE: It would be REALLY helpful if ...... - 8/28/2010 6:28:57 PM   
oldspec4

quote:

when you click on a unit you can see what HQ it belongs to and eg for the GER 12th Division its "Wodrig Corps" - BUT when you click on it it doesn't centre on Wodrig Corps

also, when clicking on a unit it displays other units in the hex - all fine - but what i think would also be useful is a display with all other units in the formation that you can click on to centre on the unit e.g. at the moment i just can't find the Artillery that belongs to the 12th division (and the OOB doesn't seem to help here - it doesn't centre on the selected unit) - am i missing something here?

what i'd still like to see all units in a formation hightlighted when you click on the HQ (or possibly when you click on any units in the formation)

Agree w/ these comments..

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 14
RE: It would be REALLY helpful if ...... - 8/28/2010 6:37:07 PM   
patchogue

It centre's on the corps if you click the corps name. I agree with highlighting all units belonging to the corps on map.

Have just understood the OOB comment. If you click on a unit on the OOB you centre the map on a subordinate unit.

I like the way the symbol fades as you use AP so a quick glance shows who's got AP left.

The Nato symbol shows the parent division - generally the organic artillery is in the R unit.

"It takes three years to build a ship, it takes three centuries to build a tradition"
Admiral Andrew Cunningham

(in reply to oldspec4)
Post #: 15
RE: It would be REALLY helpful if ...... - 8/28/2010 7:11:42 PM   
sanderz

quote:

ORIGINAL: patchogue
It centre's on the corps if you click the corps name. I agree with highlighting all units belonging to the corps on map.

Ahh - just looked again and thats sort of right - for me me its not cnetred its centre screen ok but on the far right - i really should have noticed that - still it would be better if it was centred

quote:

Have just understood the OOB comment. If you click on a unit on the OOB you centre the map on a subordinate unit.

this doesn't work for me - for some i get the right centre focus and for other it just seems to go to the wrong place. Also if you want a particular unit how do you select that as you only see one of the 4 units in a division?

quote:

I like the way the symbol fades as you use AP so a quick glance shows who's got AP left.

yep a good feature

quote:

The Nato symbol shows the parent division - generally the organic artillery is in the R unit.

But not very clear - i have stopped using the Nato symbols because of this

(in reply to patchogue)
Post #: 16
RE: It would be REALLY helpful if ...... - 8/29/2010 12:34:24 AM   
Bamilus

Would be a nice addition. HoI3 added this with Semper Fi, I believe, and it was a really good addition.

That isn't to say HoI3:SF is not a complete buggy unplayable mess....it still is

< Message edited by Bamilus -- 8/29/2010 12:39:16 AM >

Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 17
RE: It would be REALLY helpful if ...... - 8/29/2010 6:23:43 AM   
kirkgregerson

yeah, really not liking no way to change HQ colors or unit names. Very hard to tell what belongs to what. When click on HQ should see all units. Or unit clicked should show all units in subordinate HQ. I believe this is like 101 in wargames. Reading about WitE, sounds like this is done nicely. I know that this game was great to get out quick, but seems some user feed back or a shorter beta testing (limited group) was unfortunate choice? Otherwise, this would have been exposed sooner.

Not being able to change unit names is bad, for me air units hard to tell what they capable of since unit designations don't tell me crap about what is in it. Thus, when getting air support on hex, have to look into each unit which is a pain.

Thanks

< Message edited by kirkgregerson -- 8/29/2010 6:24:37 AM >

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 18
RE: It would be REALLY helpful if ...... - 8/29/2010 9:25:03 AM   
Hexagon

The problem with NATO symbols is that not all are correct for example in HPS use a symbol per unit type without using letters i think that letters are to small and if there is not space for a big letter use another symbol is better.

The list of NATO symbols, for example motorized infantry have the same symbol as infantry but with 2 little sticks down same for all motorized units like artillery and AA guns (artillery in halftracks have one of the sticks bigger)

[image][URL=http://img90.imageshack.us/i/2dsymbolslg.png/][/URL][/image]

< Message edited by Hexagon -- 8/29/2010 9:28:24 AM >

(in reply to kirkgregerson)
Post #: 19
RE: It would be REALLY helpful if ...... - 8/29/2010 10:12:37 AM   
sanderz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hexagon

The problem with NATO symbols is that not all are correct for example in HPS use a symbol per unit type without using letters i think that letters are to small and if there is not space for a big letter use another symbol is better.

good point - the main symbol itself needs to convey the prome function of the unit

(in reply to Hexagon)
Post #: 20
RE: It would be REALLY helpful if ...... - 8/29/2010 10:15:19 AM   
sanderz

Is the game missing some info on Engineers (or is it me again?) - only i have an eng with full movement point next to a blown bridge but the repair button isn't active and there are no tool tips to say why not.

I gather that eng units have "repair points" or something which i assume i have used - however i couldn't see these points (even if they are zero) listed anywhere - also are they regained over time?

EDIT: there is a tooltip that says i don't have enough EP - i keep forgeting thats there aren't mouseovers and you have to right click - still can't see how many ep's i have though or how they regain (if at all)

< Message edited by sanderz -- 8/29/2010 10:31:04 AM >

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 21
RE: It would be REALLY helpful if ...... - 8/29/2010 10:19:15 AM   
sanderz

the more i play the more i really want a "owned territory" filter on the main map - with lots of little pockets around it is difficult to see whats what to make your plans

i would add that despite my spam in this thread i am really enjoying the game and have no regrets at all about buying it :) for an old guy like me brought up on SPI/GDW games this type of game is fantastic and i'm glad people still make them

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 22
RE: It would be REALLY helpful if ...... - 8/29/2010 11:09:47 AM   
patchogue

I think EP are lost pro rata as a unit moves - so we should probably try to plan our engineering units moves so they are close to bridges when both sides are captured - otherwise it's the next turn before they can be repaired.

"It takes three years to build a ship, it takes three centuries to build a tradition"
Admiral Andrew Cunningham

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 23
RE: It would be REALLY helpful if ...... - 8/29/2010 11:42:49 AM   
sanderz

i've found myself wishing there were buttons for:

a) move all units in a stack
b) for a division formation tomove the whole lot towards the intended destination even if they can't all reach it

as i progress towards Warsaw my formations are getting more and more mixed up - so again some facility to click on a unit and see all other units in a formation would be nice

on the subject of victory points - i see you don't get any for destroying units, i don't really have a problem with this though have found myself starting to stop attacking on many sectors of the front as i know it won't affect my victory (or crushing defeat)

(in reply to patchogue)
Post #: 24
RE: It would be REALLY helpful if ...... - 8/29/2010 2:03:24 PM   
boshar

I would like a btton that highlites all units that can be attacked with artillery. This would make it easier to judge if there are targets of oppertunity.

Also +1 on the minimize Info bar (or an option to move this info to the right of the screen leaving a square portion of screen available for the map).

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 25
RE: It would be REALLY helpful if ...... - 8/29/2010 2:15:50 PM   
vonRocko

It would be nice if zoom in and out, could be be used with the mouse wheel!

(in reply to boshar)
Post #: 26
RE: It would be REALLY helpful if ...... - 8/29/2010 2:26:45 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: vonRocko

Yes, I'm always using the mouse wheel to try and zoom in and out quickly. It's much better than clicking buttons.

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 27
RE: It would be REALLY helpful if ...... - 8/29/2010 2:30:04 PM   
oldspec4

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: vonRocko

Yes, I'm always using the mouse wheel to try and zoom in and out quickly. It's much better than clicking buttons.

yep...I'm having to re-learn NOT using the mouse wheel for zoom.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 28
RE: It would be REALLY helpful if ...... - 8/29/2010 5:56:28 PM   
Alan Sharif

I too would like subordinate units highlighted when you click ona HQ. My old eyes fine it difficult to see the colours used to determine and checking the OOB several times a turn is a pain.

A Sharif

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 29
RE: It would be REALLY helpful if ...... - 8/30/2010 10:32:55 AM   
Vic

Thanks for all the feedback everybody. I am making notes and you can expect to see some implementations in upcomming version increases of the game.

Victor Reijkersz Designs
www.vrdesigns.nl

(in reply to Alan Sharif)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris >> It would be REALLY helpful if ...... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI