Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

PGN vs BMP Unit Counters

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> PGN vs BMP Unit Counters Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PGN vs BMP Unit Counters - 8/23/2010 8:54:37 PM   
shortty

I've just started using the new beta and am wondering about the new .PGN format for unit counters. I frequently use my own set of BMP files that are recolored to something I like. Should I recolor the .PGN's or should I just keep using my old bitmaps? What advantages are there to .PGN verses .BMP?

Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: PGN vs BMP Unit Counters - 8/24/2010 3:35:37 AM   
ralphtrick

quote:

ORIGINAL: shortty

I've just started using the new beta and am wondering about the new .PGN format for unit counters. I frequently use my own set of BMP files that are recolored to something I like. Should I recolor the .PGN's or should I just keep using my old bitmaps? What advantages are there to .PGN verses .BMP?

Thanks.

PNGs are compressed, so they should take up less space but look just as good. That's the biggest difference. Since they support per pixel transparency, you might be able to do some neat things with a shadow effect if you wanted really tall counters. I'm not enough of an artist to know if that would be useful in other places with the counters or not.

Ralph Trickey
TOAW III Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to shortty)
Post #: 2
RE: PGN vs BMP Unit Counters - 8/24/2010 4:52:26 AM   
shortty

Thanks Ralph,

That's about what I figured.

BTW: Great job on the new release! I'm a software guy and can appreciate just how much effort you've put in and just how hard it is to get that much free time.

(in reply to ralphtrick)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> PGN vs BMP Unit Counters Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI