Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

August 10, 1861

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon and In Development] >> Brother against Brother: The Drawing of the Sword >> August 10, 1861 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
August 10, 1861 - 8/11/2010 1:44:30 AM   
Gil R.

Today is the anniversary of the Battle of Wilson's Creek. So, since I recently finished all of my map research, I figured it would be appropriate to release the hand-drawn (in Photoshop) map that Pixelpusher will use as his guideline for making the actual map. (IMPORTANT: This is NOT what the maps will look like!)

Our system is that I sketch everything, using a color-coding system to distinguish different terrain and human features. The different shades of green, of course, show vegetation (dark green is woods, pastel green is light woods, pea green is a mixture of high grass and scattered trees, dark pea green is thickets and the like, light pea green is high grass, etc.). Purple shows buildings or CSA encampments. Yellow is fences and other enclosures. Brown is for roads, with light brown for farm roads and paths. Blue is for water, with darker meaning wider. Contour lines are gray or black, with darker meaning lower (there are four heights levels overall, each representing another 50 feet of elevation). Bright red lines indicate ravines (which let units move without being in line-of-sight, unless enemy units are adjacent to the ravine).

Overall, southwestern Missouri was sparsely populated, so this map has fewer signs of civilization than most -- just a few scattered farms and houses.

Hexes are 75 yards. In this case, I cropped the edges so I could upload it, so the actual map will be bigger. So, this gives you an idea of the maps we'll be featuring. We hope to be able to show you the real thing before too long, but I doubt it will be this month -- good graphics take time!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 8/11/2010 1:49:59 AM >

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Post #: 1
RE: August 10, 1861 - 8/13/2010 12:57:30 PM   
Grey Hunter

Are those contour lines I see? That was my only real gripe with FOF's map editor - that America is apparently full of hill formed like a volcanic range.

Is it bad that I'm already looking for defensive postions on that?

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 2
RE: August 10, 1861 - 8/13/2010 4:51:15 PM   
Gil R.

Yes.
FOF's relatively simple hills are comparable to certain boardgames and therefore not unprecedented.
No.

(in reply to Grey Hunter)
Post #: 3
RE: August 10, 1861 - 8/13/2010 5:25:41 PM   
Gil R.

By the way, that response was posted from a hotel room just outside Springfield, Mo., about 15 min. from the battlefield. I'm about to visit it before continuing a cross-country drive. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the place again, now that I've spent dozens of hours mapping it.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Coming Soon and In Development] >> Brother against Brother: The Drawing of the Sword >> August 10, 1861 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI