Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Never happened again.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Never happened again. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Never happened again. - 8/9/2010 10:21:27 PM   
crsutton

Way back in UV days, I remember that I had a pure DD TF commanded by Tanaka that encountered a larger Allied DD/CA force in the slot. To my total astonishment in that night action, the Japanese DD force surprised the larger Allied force, launched a full torpedo barrage and then withdrew without either side firing one shot. It blew me away and convinced me that there could never be another game better than UV.

Thing is, I never saw it duplicated again. Not in UV, WITP or AE. Anybody seen this event in AE?

BTW, Tanaka's force did not get one single torpedo hit. Still, it brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Post #: 1
RE: Never happened again. - 8/9/2010 10:31:21 PM   
LoBaron

You mean it was like they performed a Schnellbootangriff?

Sounds very cool, and no, I have not seen this. Admittedly in UV neither.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 2
RE: Never happened again. - 8/9/2010 10:49:18 PM   
noguaranteeofsanity

Something similar just happened with one of the British destroyers that was fleeing from Hong Kong. Not exactly the same, but close enough...

Night Time Surface Combat, near Balabac at 70,84, Range 10,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CL Sendai, Torpedo hits 1
DD Isonami
DD Uranami
DD Shikinami

Allied Ships
DD Scout

Maximum visibility in Partly Cloudy Conditions and 35% moonlight: 11,000 yards
Range closes to 10,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 10,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 10,000 yards
CL Sendai engages DD Scout at 10,000 yards
Range closes to 8,000 yards
CL Sendai engages DD Scout at 8,000 yards
CL Sendai engages DD Scout at 8,000 yards
Range increases to 9,000 yards
DD Scout engages CL Sendai at 9,000 yards
DD Uranami engages DD Scout at 9,000 yards
Task forces break off...

It appears Sendai sank, but have gotten far enough along in the game, to be certain. From memory in the combat reply, Scout simply let loose the torpedoes as it broke off.

< Message edited by noguaranteeofsanity -- 8/9/2010 10:51:47 PM >

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 3
RE: Never happened again. - 8/10/2010 1:32:20 AM   
wdolson

Good torpedo work on the part of HMS Scout.  Got away without damage too.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to noguaranteeofsanity)
Post #: 4
RE: Never happened again. - 8/10/2010 3:58:02 AM   
crsutton

Well, I suppose that if it were to happen. It would have to be a DD only force, high exp (read Japanese) with a highly skilled commander vs a much larger force. Perhaps very low moonlight as well. Just wanted to see if it ever does happen.

Perhaps I just dreamed about it................

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 5
RE: Never happened again. - 8/10/2010 2:06:13 PM   
dwesolick

I'm in late June 42 in my game against the Japanese AI. Just a couple turns ago The Japanese surprised my large British TF (2 BBs one CA one CL 4 or 5 DDs) at Chittagong with a couple CLs and 3 or 4 DDs. Long story short, the CL Oi managed to sink the BB Royal Sovereign with 4 torp hits. The Oi was lost but this was a nice trade off for the AI!

"The Navy has a moth-eaten tradition that the captain who loses his ship is disgraced. What do they have all those ships for, if not to hurl them at the enemy?" --Douglas MacArthur

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 6
RE: Never happened again. - 8/10/2010 2:24:14 PM   
AW1Steve

Just as an aside, while I was living aboard the Bremmerton Naval Station , there was a delegation of JMSDF officers visiting. Ironically , the then CO of the base was Captain R. Tanaka! (The R stood for Reid, not Razio) . The visiting Japanese delegation was VERY respectfull of Captain Tanaka (Who was raised in Berkley CA, and family had lived there for 3 generations). The good Captain knew that there had been a famous officer of that name, but nothing else, except the name mean "farmer". (I enlighten him). It was a pretty funny moment.

VP-92 sig banner

(in reply to dwesolick)
Post #: 7
RE: Never happened again. - 8/10/2010 2:27:20 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: dwesolick

I'm in late June 42 in my game against the Japanese AI. Just a couple turns ago The Japanese surprised my large British TF (2 BBs one CA one CL 4 or 5 DDs) at Chittagong with a couple CLs and 3 or 4 DDs. Long story short, the CL Oi managed to sink the BB Royal Sovereign with 4 torp hits. The Oi was lost but this was a nice trade off for the AI!

I had something similar happen with HMS Queen Elizabeth. I know a bit about the capabilities of the various USN BB classes, and I know that USS Texas is not the USS Iowa. But I know very little about the RN's BBs. When I got Queen Elizabeth I was happy to get a new BB in the IO theater, so I threw her into action off Burma. She lasted, I think, three days. Then I went and looked up her specs. Oops.

The Moose

(in reply to dwesolick)
Post #: 8
RE: Never happened again. - 8/11/2010 1:19:03 PM   
morganbj

Actually, I've found that allied BBs generally stink in ship-to-ship combat. It seems all they're good for is shore bombardment. I ALWAYS take the short end of the stick even if I have 3 BBs to 1. Some come out of drydock, go into action, then spend the next six months in drydock again. They're in action maybe a week a year. Others ain't so lucky.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 9
RE: Never happened again. - 8/11/2010 4:31:44 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: bjmorgan

Actually, I've found that allied BBs generally stink in ship-to-ship combat. It seems all they're good for is shore bombardment. I ALWAYS take the short end of the stick even if I have 3 BBs to 1. Some come out of drydock, go into action, then spend the next six months in drydock again. They're in action maybe a week a year. Others ain't so lucky.

Mostly agree with you. I think some of it is the slow rate of fire, but when they get to 2000 yards, even at night, the hit rate makes you go "hmmm."

OTOH, the USN super-BBs are AA castles (I'm not in the AA-is-totally-fried crowd), and they can shrug off most DB attacks that would otherwise penetrate flight decks. Allied DC is good enough that setting them on fire isn't usually decisive.

I think the max Bombardment group I had in 1945 was 19 BBs of various flavors. Maybe not the most efficient, certainly not for re-loading, but a terrible sight to see appearing out of the mist offshore.

The Moose

(in reply to morganbj)
Post #: 10
RE: Never happened again. - 8/12/2010 11:53:32 AM   
spence

There was an incident near Kolobangara (I think) in the Solomons where some IJN DDs appeared briefly at maximum range on the radar screens of a USN TF and later the USS Strong (IIRC) suffered a major explosion and sank. The USN accounted the sinking to a mine but after the war it was learned the IJN DDs launched a salvo of torpedoes at 20 miles range which apparently scored on Strong.

That was always the theory in the IJN. It apparently worked just that once though (their torps did score just fine at short range).

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 11
RE: Never happened again. - 8/12/2010 5:02:20 PM   
crsutton

Well, I am thinking more of a Tassafronga event where the Japanese (although spotted by Allied radar) losed a deadly salvo and fled. Losing one ship but doing severe damage to a much superior Allied fleet.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Never happened again. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI