Matrix Games Forums

Buzz Aldrins Space Program Manager is now available!Space Program Manager gets mini-site and Twitch SessionBuzz Aldrin: Ask Me Anything (AMA) on redditDeal of the week Fantasy Kommander: Eukarion WarsSpace Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Which is more valuable to fighter pilots, Air skill or Exp?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Which is more valuable to fighter pilots, Air skill or Exp? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Which is more valuable to fighter pilots, Air skill or ... - 8/8/2010 12:25:32 PM   
Sredni

I got 3 CVE's a while ago with actual combat groups instead of those replenishment groups (can replenishment groups be used for combat? I suppose that's another thread heh) but all the pilots that came with them started out high Exp and lowish (50ish) specific skills.

So now they've been sitting in port for months (not docked) training but because they're past the magic 50% exp their actual skills are going up incredibly slowly.

The fighter pilots in these groups are all averaging around 55 Exp and 60ish airskill, and I'm wondering if I would be better off just tossing these guys and pulling in newbies to train up to 70+ airskill.

Would these groups be better off with 40ish Exp 70ish Air (I could reach that within 2 months of training I expect) or with their current 55ish Exp and 60ish Air?

On a related note, what does everyone do with the CVE Long Island? It doesn't come with it's own air groups, it's kinda slow, and it can only fit 16 planes lol.
Post #: 1
RE: Which is more valuable to fighter pilots, Air skill... - 8/8/2010 12:58:34 PM   
michaelm

Skills are what counts for most individual actions including training.

Experience, in general, counts in non-combat areas.

Michael

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 2
RE: Which is more valuable to fighter pilots, Air skill... - 8/8/2010 2:21:00 PM   
vettim89

You have two choices for CVE Long Island

1. FInd a CV capable Marine Sq to put on it (these are few and far between in AE). I think it was pointed out that if you leave a VMF/VMB on a CVE for 90 days it becomes CV capable

2. Use it as it was used in RL which is as an aircraft ferry

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 3
RE: Which is more valuable to fighter pilots, Air skill... - 8/8/2010 4:33:44 PM   
Nomad

quote:

ORIGINAL: vettim89

You have two choices for CVE Long Island

1. FInd a CV capable Marine Sq to put on it (these are few and far between in AE). I think it was pointed out that if you leave a VMF/VMB on a CVE for 90 days it becomes CV capable

2. Use it as it was used in RL which is as an aircraft ferry

I think they are all CV capable but I haven't seen one that came CV trained. But, yes after some time they will upgrade to CV trained if left on long enough. I put one on Long Island and use it for ASW work. Helps extend air ASW to those areas not able to be covered by LBA.

Don't ask me any questions, apparently I know nothing about WitP:AE

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 4
RE: Which is more valuable to fighter pilots, Air skill... - 8/8/2010 5:01:37 PM   
Sredni

Can the long island operate 18 aircraft? I'm not sure about the rules regarding overstacking CV's.

I suppose I could track down one of the resizable marine squadrons, they're all ones that withdraw, but some withdraw late in the war. I think I'd end up with 6 aircraft if I resized though lol.

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 5
RE: Which is more valuable to fighter pilots, Air skill... - 8/8/2010 5:57:46 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sredni

Can the long island operate 18 aircraft? I'm not sure about the rules regarding overstacking CV's.

I suppose I could track down one of the resizable marine squadrons, they're all ones that withdraw, but some withdraw late in the war. I think I'd end up with 6 aircraft if I resized though lol.

IIRC, yes I was able to in my game.

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 6
RE: Which is more valuable to fighter pilots, Air skill... - 8/9/2010 1:47:07 AM   
aoffen

Sorry, what's the difference between CV capable and CV trained. I thought CV capable units could all operate off carriers. Is that not correct?
Regards
Andrew

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 7
RE: Which is more valuable to fighter pilots, Air skill... - 8/9/2010 2:11:08 AM   
Nomad

quote:

ORIGINAL: aoffen

Sorry, what's the difference between CV capable and CV trained. I thought CV capable units could all operate off carriers. Is that not correct?
Regards
Andrew

You are correct. They can both operate from CV/CVL/CVEs but carrier capable air units will take more ops losses than carrier trained.

Don't ask me any questions, apparently I know nothing about WitP:AE

(in reply to aoffen)
Post #: 8
RE: Which is more valuable to fighter pilots, Air skill... - 8/9/2010 2:41:54 AM   
Canoerebel

I suppose everybody in the world knows this, but it caught me by surprise early in the game.  You can park the initial type of Corsair on Long Island, but they won't fly missions.  IE, your only reason to do so would be to transport the Corsairs to another port and unload them there.

I think the second version of Corsair will fly from Long Island.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 8/9/2010 2:43:21 AM >

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 9
RE: Which is more valuable to fighter pilots, Air skill... - 8/9/2010 2:49:05 AM   
witpqs

IIRC correctly you can park any single-engine plane on a carrier and fly them off, but only for a transfer.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Which is more valuable to fighter pilots, Air skill or Exp? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI