Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

British MGBs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> British MGBs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
British MGBs - 8/4/2010 7:25:24 AM   
Offworlder

How do you use them? they are slow, short ranged and frankly, have little firepower. They can't be used in ASW role nor form part of a convoy. And to top it all, their final upgrade turns them into MLs...

In my games I tend to turn all such boats into MLs since they can guard ports in ASW mode, perform short range ASW patrols and even form part of short legged convoys.

Is there a reason to turn such boats in MGBs?
Post #: 1
RE: British MGBs - 8/4/2010 7:27:44 AM   
Alfred

You can indirectly use them for ASW. Put them into a dedicated Surface Combat TF and make them patrol in the vicinity of a base.

Alfred

(in reply to Offworlder)
Post #: 2
RE: British MGBs - 8/4/2010 7:41:04 AM   
Offworlder

Every time I do that it seems that a Jap sub torpedoes them at will. Just my experience though.

BTW they also seem to attract a lot of attention from air and surface naval forces. Once I had a squad in Chittagong, and the AI kept sending surface forces in night raids to catch them. They all ended at the bottom of the sea when the commander decided to fight it out with a light cruiser and 2 destroyers... 

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 3
RE: British MGBs - 8/4/2010 8:08:52 AM   
Alfred

True, being torpedoed does seem to be very prevalent amongst surface assets looking for ASW action. That is why it is so important to have air assets conducting both naval search and ASW missions in the target area. Without the air patrols, Japanese subs seem to always get their shot in first.

Alfred

(in reply to Offworlder)
Post #: 4
RE: British MGBs - 8/4/2010 9:21:06 AM   
Offworlder

The major problem it seems is that they are too slow. My impression is that Jap subs tend to outrun them. I did have some good results with MLs defending Colombo though (2 large Jap subs were taken apart when they tried to infiltrate the port. So MLs seem to be ok in port but not out in the open seas.

Incidentally I'm not sure that their speed is actually accurately portrayed. I was under the impression that British MGBs were able to keep up with torpedo boats and that they were employed quite effectively in the Channel and ineffectively in the Med. Maybe those in the Far East were of a different design?

One other question - there are various MGBs listed on the reinforcement tables. Do they come into port or are they like American PT boats?

Oh btw - I know that the Brits have some torpedo boats but do they get more during the game?

Mind you, I find that the British have a very limited use for light forces near India and in my games, most end up doing nothing much. How are British light forces employed in your games?

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 5
RE: British MGBs - 8/4/2010 10:53:03 AM   
herwin

History:

The Fairmile Motor Launch was a kit-based wooden vessel built in many types: A-D and H. The FMLA was 57 tons and 25 knots with a crew of 12, sonar and a dozen depth charges. The FMLB was 85 tons, 20 tons, 16+ crew, and armed with a 3-pounder gun, sonar, and depth charges. The FMLC was a 26.5 knot motor gunboat with a couple of 2 pounder guns and 4 depth charges. The FMLD was an MTB (29 knots) and a mix of weaponry. The H was a landing craft (15 knots).

There were also Harbour Defence Motor Launches--54 tons, 10 crew, 12 knots, 2x20mm, 6 DCs.

According to the history of operations into Norway from the Shetlands, the Coastal Forces of the RN particularly valued American subchasers. Most of these were 98 ton wooden vessels with 27 crew, 20 knots (12 knots cruising), a 3-inch gun, sonar and depth charges. They were responsible for sinking about 67 U-boats in coastal American waters and at least one RO-boat in the Pacific. They were hard for submarines to detect.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to Offworlder)
Post #: 6
RE: British MGBs - 8/4/2010 10:55:51 AM   
EUBanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

True, being torpedoed does seem to be very prevalent amongst surface assets looking for ASW action. That is why it is so important to have air assets conducting both naval search and ASW missions in the target area. Without the air patrols, Japanese subs seem to always get their shot in first.

Alfred

I get a lot of "Cannot calculate firing solution" on tiny ASW ships like the British MLs converted to ASW work.

I've never seen an ML get torped yet. This actually makes them very good!

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 7
RE: British MGBs - 8/4/2010 11:38:04 AM   
xj900uk

You need to use them in conjunction with a decent sub-hunter or a small destroyer with Asdic. British ML's and MBG's may have good depth-charges but unless they bang into a sub periscope they are going to have a spot of bother working out where the enemy subs actually are...

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 8
RE: British MGBs - 8/4/2010 1:30:33 PM   
Offworlder

quote:

ORIGINAL: herwin

History:

The Fairmile Motor Launch was a kit-based wooden vessel built in many types: A-D and H. The FMLA was 57 tons and 25 knots with a crew of 12, sonar and a dozen depth charges. The FMLB was 85 tons, 20 tons, 16+ crew, and armed with a 3-pounder gun, sonar, and depth charges. The FMLC was a 26.5 knot motor gunboat with a couple of 2 pounder guns and 4 depth charges. The FMLD was an MTB (29 knots) and a mix of weaponry. The H was a landing craft (15 knots).

There were also Harbour Defence Motor Launches--54 tons, 10 crew, 12 knots, 2x20mm, 6 DCs.

According to the history of operations into Norway from the Shetlands, the Coastal Forces of the RN particularly valued American subchasers. Most of these were 98 ton wooden vessels with 27 crew, 20 knots (12 knots cruising), a 3-inch gun, sonar and depth charges. They were responsible for sinking about 67 U-boats in coastal American waters and at least one RO-boat in the Pacific. They were hard for submarines to detect.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all boats, whatever their designation are only 18 knots in game. Thus most subs can actually outrun them.

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 9
RE: British MGBs - 8/4/2010 2:09:38 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: xj900uk

You need to use them in conjunction with a decent sub-hunter or a small destroyer with Asdic. British ML's and MBG's may have good depth-charges but unless they bang into a sub periscope they are going to have a spot of bother working out where the enemy subs actually are...

They had Asdic, at least in reality.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to xj900uk)
Post #: 10
RE: British MGBs - 8/4/2010 2:10:44 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Offworlder

quote:

History:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all boats, whatever their designation are only 18 knots in game. Thus most subs can actually outrun them.

They could on the surface.

Harry Erwin

(in reply to Offworlder)
Post #: 11
RE: British MGBs - 8/4/2010 2:48:00 PM   
redcoat

I think Fairmile MLs depth charged and seriously damaged at least one Jap sub during the war.

< Message edited by redcoat -- 8/4/2010 3:40:44 PM >

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 12
RE: British MGBs - 8/4/2010 6:30:12 PM   
m10bob

They and PT's are a good deterrant against enemy barges..Keep mine in base till I know spotted barges are coming.

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 13
RE: British MGBs - 8/4/2010 7:02:58 PM   
crsutton

quote:

They were responsible for sinking about 67 U-boats in coastal American waters and at least one RO-boat in the Pacific. They were hard for submarines to detect.

Not sure this is accurate. I think there were only about a dozen U Boats sunk in North American and Carribean waters by all types of aircraft and ships.

Perhaps he is referring to all subs sunk by small craft in all coastal waters.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> British MGBs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI