Matrix Games Forums

Buzz Aldrins Space Program Manager is now available!Space Program Manager gets mini-site and Twitch SessionBuzz Aldrin: Ask Me Anything (AMA) on redditDeal of the week Fantasy Kommander: Eukarion WarsSpace Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Counter battery fire opens a can of whipa$$

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Counter battery fire opens a can of whipa$$ Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Counter battery fire opens a can of whipa$$ - 8/2/2010 3:41:34 AM   
aprezto

I don't understand this result, but man do I want to bottle it.

History: this is a reconnaissance in force at Auckland, NZ. The IJA forces have just arrived on the scene and this is the intelligence gathering bombardment so that my opponent can find out what he's up against.

Granted I set up to attack him upon his arrival. So I threw everything I had at him aerially - about 100 sorties.

So these bombardment troops have suffered aerial suppression.

But this counter battery response is brutal, just brutal. Look at the number of infantry squads disabled!!!

The defensive troops weren't anything spectacular... Maybe the Auckland CD unit, with a couple of 9" guns the most stand out.

Ground combat at Auckland (115,185)

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 24371 troops, 236 guns, 69 vehicles, Assault Value = 944

Defending force 39566 troops, 522 guns, 1083 vehicles, Assault Value = 1087

Japanese ground losses:
958 casualties reported
Squads: 22 destroyed, 104 disabled
Non Combat: 19 destroyed, 64 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 18 (7 destroyed, 11 disabled)

Image courtesy of Divepac
Post #: 1
RE: Counter battery fire opens a can of whipa$$ - 8/2/2010 5:58:21 AM   
witpqs

Dear Most Fearsome Smiter of Armies:

You just have to post the rest of it.

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 2
RE: Counter battery fire opens a can of whipa$$ - 8/2/2010 6:07:40 PM   
PaxMondo

Wow!!!  I'm sure that was unexpected.  WTG!!!

Pax

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3
RE: Counter battery fire opens a can of whipa$$ - 8/2/2010 9:10:37 PM   
aprezto

Witpqs: ha ha - you devil.

i am actually a little reticent to post any more as that seems to be pulling the tail of Karma, and while I immensely enjoyed the follow-up attack, I was actually more worried about this outcome - selfishly I might add.

Why?

Well he has more aircraft and more artillery tubes in NZ, they just haven't made it to Auckland yet. So I may have won a battle but there is no way I have won the war; and cosmic karma may spank me for being smug - it is only April '42 after all.

That a counter-battery riposte can be so fearsome seems too heavy handed. In the combat replay, two of the Japanese regiments listed went from an AV ~90 to 0!!!! That seems wrong.

I was actually after a little discussion as to whether this is normal. It is certainly new to me. There were no allied casualties at all, and the Japanese bombardment was conducted by the 38th div, 2 inf regs, 2 tank regs and a mountain artillery batt...

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 4
RE: Counter battery fire opens a can of whipa$$ - 8/2/2010 9:22:18 PM   
Andy Mac

I assume you had 33rd Medium Regt with its 5.5's and an Arty unit or two with 105's ?

Also the NZ Bdes are Bde groups each one with 2 Arty Batteries of 25 pounders

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 5
RE: Counter battery fire opens a can of whipa$$ - 8/2/2010 9:28:52 PM   
witpqs

You have high level forts, he has no forts and is in open terrain. Continuous air attacks on the previous turns and (importantly) on the same turn must have provided disruption. As shown on the subsequent land combat (on the same turn), he had low supply and low preparation penalties.

This was probably an exceptional result, but the conditions were perfect for it, and you acted to seize upon them.

Sure if he brings enough to the party he will still prevail in NZ, but this will sting his forces and slow him down.

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 6
RE: Counter battery fire opens a can of whipa$$ - 8/2/2010 9:41:36 PM   
aprezto

Andy: yes, exactly that in regard to the Kiwis. Plus an independent US artillery unit with 105s, the 41st Inf Div - fully upgraded, and the 138th Inf reg, also with full compliment.

I can understand that my artillery should be very comparable, just not so utterly one sided.

Witpqs - you may have it: that the aerial bombardment through the attackers into such disarray that they couldn't mount a proper artillery attack, where my defenders were under no such duress.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 7
RE: Counter battery fire opens a can of whipa$$ - 8/2/2010 9:50:29 PM   
crsutton

I don't know... It is kind of what I would expect from an opposed landing. Over 500 guns. Oh, maybe it was not a landing?

< Message edited by crsutton -- 8/2/2010 9:51:16 PM >

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 8
RE: Counter battery fire opens a can of whipa$$ - 8/2/2010 11:25:44 PM   
Andy Mac

If it recurs it might be a reccurance of a pre release bug where CD units acted as Arty not willing to say its def that as james quashed it (in Beta japanese couldnt take Singers because of 15" Arty pieces killing em !!!)

Niow as this one was quashed I dont want to jump to conclusions so please monitor if it recurs when he comes back we will look at it

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 9
RE: Counter battery fire opens a can of whipa$$ - 8/3/2010 12:07:58 AM   
aprezto

Nope, not opposed landing. The IJA marched into Auckland from the South.

OK Andy, will do.

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 10
RE: Counter battery fire opens a can of whipa$$ - 8/3/2010 7:26:16 AM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

I don't know... It is kind of what I would expect from an opposed landing. Over 500 guns. Oh, maybe it was not a landing?

that´s no landing, the Japanese did a bombardment attack and they were the only ones to suffer casualties from counterfire. A 80mm mortar seems to be as effective as a dozen 150mm howitzers if the mortar is what is doing the counterfiring in the game. At least that´s my experience, you always need a hundred times more and bigger guns to cause the same casualties in a bombardment like the counterfiring enemy is doing. Works for both sides it seems.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 11
RE: Counter battery fire opens a can of whipa$$ - 8/3/2010 7:43:59 AM   
LoBaron

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

quote:

that´s no landing, the Japanese did a bombardment attack and they were the only ones to suffer casualties from counterfire. A 80mm mortar seems to be as effective as a dozen 150mm howitzers if the mortar is what is doing the counterfiring in the game. At least that´s my experience, you always need a hundred times more and bigger guns to cause the same casualties in a bombardment like the counterfiring enemy is doing. Works for both sides it seems.

That has not much to do with 80mm mortars or counterbattery being stronger but with fort levels as witpqs said already.

Since usually the attacker is the one bombarding he is also the one receiving counterbattery fire. And with no forts against similar arty pieces of a fortyfied opponent you have the reason why it sometimes looks a bit lopsided.

S**t happens in war.

All hail the superior ones!

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 12
RE: Counter battery fire opens a can of whipa$$ - 8/3/2010 10:00:52 AM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

quote:

That has not much to do with 80mm mortars or counterbattery being stronger but with fort levels as witpqs said already.

Since usually the attacker is the one bombarding he is also the one receiving counterbattery fire. And with no forts against similar arty pieces of a fortyfied opponent you have the reason why it sometimes looks a bit lopsided.

try putting one div each in clear terrain with no forts and set one to bombard.

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Counter battery fire opens a can of whipa$$ Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI