Matrix Games Forums

A new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936War in the West coming in December!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Long Range CAP above enemey base

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Long Range CAP above enemey base Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Long Range CAP above enemey base - 8/1/2010 4:54:01 PM   
cverbrug

I have a question: if you put long range CAP above an enemy base (where still enemy planes are present on the airfiled), when the enemy base wants to launch bombers for a strike, do these enemy bombers then have to fight themselves through the CAP you had put above that enemy base in order for them to be able to fly to their target?

Are their other means in order to prevent the enemy from launching strikes (apart from bombing the airfield)?

Christophe

Post #: 1
RE: Long Range CAP above enemey base - 8/1/2010 5:13:28 PM   
VSWG

quote:

ORIGINAL: cverbrug

I have a question: if you put long range CAP above an enemy base (where still enemy planes are present on the airfiled), when the enemy base wants to launch bombers for a strike, do these enemy bombers then have to fight themselves through the CAP you had put above that enemy base in order for them to be able to fly to their target?

LRCAP won't engage departing planes.
quote:

Are their other means in order to prevent the enemy from launching strikes (apart from bombing the airfield)?

Since planes need supplies and aviation support, you can try to cause a supply shortage by isolating the base, and try to disrupt the base forces (naval/air bombardment). The only efficient way to prevent air strikes is airfield bombardment, though.

(in reply to cverbrug)
Post #: 2
RE: Long Range CAP above enemey base - 8/1/2010 5:15:20 PM   
LoBaron

Putting LRCAP over enemy base wont work, except for planes that TARGET the base (you can intercept transport planes for example that try
to deliver supply there).

Also, why would you want to LRCAP a base when you can CAP your own? On LRCAP your pilot would be gone if he is shot down, over your own
base he has a chance of survival.
Obviousely you can LRACP your own bases, this is often useful when you want to concentrate defense but want to have the majority of your fighters
on safe bases out of range.

You could sweep the enemy base instead of bombing it. Thats very dangerous in the face of AAA though, but it can be brutal if the opponent overstacks.

S**t happens in war.

All hail the superior ones!

(in reply to cverbrug)
Post #: 3
RE: Long Range CAP above enemey base - 8/2/2010 10:53:53 AM   
michaelm

As you bring it up...
Placing a CAP over an enemy base will increase the chance of a Ops Loss against returning planes to that base. This represents the possibilty of CAP intervention on launching or landing of enemy planes.

The increase is not huge and does not depend on the size of the CAP but size of the returning flight, but if you have plenty of fighters, it might be useful to keep a group on CAP over an enemy base to interdict operations.
I added this to AE in the initial stages after reading about the US carrier operations during the later stage of the war where the carriers kept morning and evening CAP over some of the Japanese island bases.

Michael

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 4
RE: Long Range CAP above enemey base - 8/2/2010 11:16:49 AM   
LoBaron

How VERY sneaky of you Michael.

Good to know.

S**t happens in war.

All hail the superior ones!

(in reply to michaelm)
Post #: 5
RE: Long Range CAP above enemey base - 8/2/2010 8:34:59 PM   
VSWG

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

As you bring it up...
Placing a CAP over an enemy base will increase the chance of a Ops Loss against returning planes to that base. This represents the possibilty of CAP intervention on launching or landing of enemy planes.

The increase is not huge and does not depend on the size of the CAP but size of the returning flight, but if you have plenty of fighters, it might be useful to keep a group on CAP over an enemy base to interdict operations.
I added this to AE in the initial stages after reading about the US carrier operations during the later stage of the war where the carriers kept morning and evening CAP over some of the Japanese island bases.

Awesome.

(in reply to michaelm)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Long Range CAP above enemey base Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI