Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Problem Unloading (No cap_and_gown)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Problem Unloading (No cap_and_gown) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Problem Unloading (No cap_and_gown) - 7/31/2010 7:55:04 PM   
witpqs

Running 1106g (Patch 4 official)

See attached save game.

I've got two different TF's of landing craft - LCT's - that are not unloading the large items they are carrying.

One case is TF232 at Merauke, which carried a construction unit. The TF has been there for several turns and will not unload the engineering vehicles (one each on several LCT's). The port is damaged, but LCT's should be able to unload engineering vehicles at a size 0 port or even a non-base hex.

The second case is TF240 at Ndeni, carrying an AA unit. It also has been there for multiple turns, and will not unload any AA guns larger than .50cal or motorized support. Likewise, the port is damaged but LCT's should be able to unload this equipment over the beach.

Is there some hitch in the code where if a port is damaged then landing craft do not attempt to use direct unloading?

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Problem Unloading (No cap_and_gown) - 8/1/2010 12:11:51 AM   
Don Bowen

Merauke: The TF is unloading, but very slowly. The unload order is troops and light equipment, supplies, heavy equipment, then other stuff (oil. etc). There are still a lot of supplies on the TF. You could get the heavy equipment ashore by creating a new TF containing all the craft with supplies and not ordering that TF to unload. This would allow the heavy equipment to move to the top of the queue.

Ndeni: Same, but this TF is a barge TF.

There are a number of features interacting here - not always for the best.

1, Port Damage. There are only 10 port sizes in AE (and WITP). No fractional or partial ports. Port damage is a percentage of damage to the total port. Given this, and normal "truncation" math, a single point of damage will drop a port by one size. I.E. a level 5 port that is 2% damaged calculates to a 4.9 port - but there is no such thing so it becomes level 4. All this is old, old process - probably all the way back to UV.

2. Capacity limits. Ports have cargo capacity handling limits based on their damage-adjusted port size. Port damage is obviously damaged cranes, access roads, handling gear, etc.

3. Docking Limits. Ports have docking limits, expressed in ship tonnage, based on their undamaged port size. Ships can still tie up to damaged piers and quays, even if cargo handling over that pier/quay is reduced due to damage.

4. Auto Docking. TFs about to load or unload will automatically use any available docking capacity of the port. If the entire TF can dock, it will. If not, some portion of the TF can maneuver to/near the piers for unloading. Normally a very good thing.

5. Amphib Bonus. Amphibious TFs that are loading/unloading at smaller friendly ports and are not fully docked will get an amphibious bonus.

Thus: the ports are level one so even one damage point will cut their cargo handling capacity to that of a level zero port. But they can still dock up to 6000 tons of shipping. The LCT TFs are small, so they can dock. The auto docking feature will dock them, so they do not get the amphib bonus. But they will (slowly) unload.

All in all I'd rate this as a boundary interface issue at the far end of the processes. Any adjustment to try and tune for improvement here would create havoc in larger TF/port processes.

Remember, patience is a virtue.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2
RE: Problem Unloading (No cap_and_gown) - 8/1/2010 2:39:12 AM   
witpqs

Don,

Thanks so much. I never knew that there was an overall sequence to a TF unloading. I've been patient for so many turns I'm afraid these things will see their luck run out and get blasted before they unload the good stuff!

I agree changes could cause havoc with other cases. If there were any suggestion flowing out of this it would be to have a switch on the screen for amphib TF's so the player could specify that they unload amphibiously. That should avoid unintended consequences.

Thanks!

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Problem Unloading (No cap_and_gown) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI