Matrix Games Forums

Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets huge update and a Steam release!Battle Academy 2 opens up a new front!Flashpoint Campaigns Featured on weekly Streaming SessionFrontline: The Longest Day - New Screenshots!Deal of the Week: Hannibal Rome and CarthageFlashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets Players Edition!To End All Wars gets its first major patch! Hell is now available!War in the West Wacht am Rhein AAR Deal of the Week Panzer Corps: Allied Corps
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Split deploy - bug or feature?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem >> Split deploy - bug or feature? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Split deploy - bug or feature? - 7/29/2010 10:20:54 PM   
xe5

7A_Woulf described an interesting deploy situation that can be replicated.

Turn 1: BG X moves from Oss to Grave. Battle is fought, map remains contested.

Turn 2: BG Z attacks from Overasselt to Grave. BG X supports with a sniper.

Sometimes the BG X sniper will start deployed south of the river in the area where the sniper's BG had map control after turn 1. The player can reposition the sniper anywhere in that deploy area, or, north of the river in the "to Overasselt" deploy area.

Teams from BG Z always start deployed in the "to Overasselt" deploy area. The game doesnt let these be repositioned to the BG X deploy area south of the river.

Sometimes the BG X sniper will start deployed with the BG Z units north of the river. When this happens the game doesnt let the sniper be repositioned to the BG X deploy area south of the river.

7A's point is that support BG teams should be confined to either the support BGs deploy zone, or the area the support BG controlled prior to another BG taking over the attack. Conversely, the new attacking BG gets confined to the deploy area around its map entry VL.

< Message edited by xe5 -- 7/29/2010 10:21:54 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Split deploy - bug or feature? - 7/29/2010 11:02:40 PM   
xe5

A related "split deploy" feature' is shown below. An US BG attacks onto Best from Son. The previous US BG contesting for Best stays in support but lends no troops. the bridge was blown several turns ago.

Some of the attacking BG's teams are considered to have entered Best using the 'to Son North' VL. These start deployed on the north bank. The player has the option to reposition them to the anywhere available on the north or south banks.

The remainder of the attacking BGs teams are considered to have entered Best using the 'to Son South' VL. These start deployed on the south bank but cannot be redeployed to the north bank.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to xe5)
Post #: 2
RE: Split deploy - bug or feature? - 7/29/2010 11:18:12 PM   
DasHoff

when my friend and i were playing the GC, i attacked best with a british group from the south; the bridge was blown so i couldnt get most of my troops over. i could however get a stuart over and like 3 squads. it was enough. was i suppose to have the stuart on the opposite side of the blown bridge? i couldnt even get most of my squads over

(in reply to xe5)
Post #: 3
RE: Split deploy - bug or feature? - 7/29/2010 11:41:06 PM   
xe5

Did your Brit BG attack from Eindhoven or Son? Does "couldnt get most of my troops over" mean you could not deploy most troops on the north side of the river?

(in reply to DasHoff)
Post #: 4
RE: Split deploy - bug or feature? - 7/30/2010 1:34:26 AM   
xe5

LSA has yet another new trick (at least to me)

On Best I control the 'to Son N&S' and 'to Eindhoven' VLs.
The top (attacking) BG in Best came from Son a couple turns ago but can only move to Eindhoven.
The bottom (supporting) BG started the GC on Best, won complete control of the map when the bridge was blown, but can move to Eindhoven and Son.

My theory is that because the supporting BG once had control of all exit VLs, it can now move via all the exit VLs currently controlled.

And because the attacking BG came from Son, and has never had total control of the map, it can now only move thru the VL it entered.

Of course the scribbles on a cocktail napkin called a game manual shed no light on the matter.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to xe5)
Post #: 5
RE: Split deploy - bug or feature? - 7/30/2010 3:17:51 AM   
Andrew Williams

quote:

Of course the scribbles on a cocktail napkin called a game manual shed no light on the matter.

Somee of the worlds greatest ideas beagn life on a cocktail napkin

(in reply to xe5)
Post #: 6
RE: Split deploy - bug or feature? - 7/30/2010 4:02:28 AM   
TheReal_Pak40

SI$@#$,

If you guys are playing with the beta patch then I guess I'm gonna wait until patch #2 comes out.

(in reply to Andrew Williams)
Post #: 7
RE: Split deploy - bug or feature? - 7/30/2010 4:09:18 AM   
DasHoff

quote:

ORIGINAL: xe5

Did your Brit BG attack from Eindhoven or Son? Does "couldnt get most of my troops over" mean you could not deploy most troops on the north side of the river?

it was from the map directly below best. and i started the map with 4 squads and my stuart deployed on his side of the river. when i moved one squad back to my side, i couldnt place it on his side again. so basically i had to keep most of my stuff on my side of the river, and start the game with the stuart and 2-3 squads which started on his side 'as is', i.e i couldnt move them from their default starting positions

also, i already had some american paratroopers on his side from previous battles

< Message edited by DasHoff -- 7/30/2010 4:10:05 AM >

(in reply to xe5)
Post #: 8
RE: Split deploy - bug or feature? - 7/30/2010 5:30:13 AM   
xe5

LOL. This feature is the improvised minor river crossing, but not even close to how it is described in the manual on p.66:
quote:

Infantry, Airborne, and Engineer BGs can improvise a crossing of a minor river or canal, even when the bridge is out, and thus can leave the map with the blown bridge in any direction. Armored, Armored Infantry, and Recon BGs cannot do this.

If a Battle Group improvises a crossing of a destroyed minor bridge, they will lose all guns and vehicles in their active team slots (they’re returned to the Forcepool) and will not be able to field any guns or vehicles from their Forcepool until they are able to achieve a supply line equal to what they had before they made the crossing (or at least a supply line to a minor supply depot).

The way the improvised minor river crossing really works:

When you enter an enemy occupied map with a blown minor bridge, some of your teams are assumed to have improvised a water crossing. These teams first start deployed on the other side of the river from where the BG entered. These teams on the "far" bank cant be repositioned elsewhere on the far bank but can be repositioned to the near bank. Teams that first start deployed on the near bank can only be repositioned elsewhere on the near bank, not to the far bank.

No vehicles or guns are lost from the active roster, nor is there a penalty against choosing vehicles/guns until the previous level of supply is re-established. As seen below, some vehicles from an armor BG start deployed on the far bank and some on the near bank, both with the restrictions stated above. If this BG is on this map at the start of the next battle, it can deploy anywhere it has control on the map.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by xe5 -- 7/30/2010 5:31:28 AM >

(in reply to DasHoff)
Post #: 9
RE: Split deploy - bug or feature? - 7/30/2010 2:37:06 PM   
xe5

Image above shows a "tactical" improvised minor river crossing. A "strategic" improvised minor river crossing works like so...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to xe5)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem >> Split deploy - bug or feature? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI