What's next for CC?

Close Combat – Last Stand Arnhem is a highly enhanced new release of Close Combat, using the latest Close Combat engine with many additional improvements. Its design is based on the critically acclaimed Close Combat – A Bridge Too Far, originally developed by Atomic Games, as well as the more recent Close Combat: The Longest Day. This is the most ambitious and most improved of the new Close Combat releases, but along with all the enhancements it retains the same addicting tactical action found in the original titles! Close Combat – Last Stand Arnhem comes with expanded force pools, reserve & static battlegroups, a troop point buying system, ferry and assault crossings, destructible bridges, static forces and much more! Also included in this rebuild are 60+ battles, operations and campaigns including a new enhanced Grand Campaign!
D.Ilse

What's next for CC?

Post by D.Ilse »

I still love the top down graphics vs modern 3d stuff.

from COI to LSA, the game has evolved quite a bit..a good number of features are included(or returned to) the game in LSA..like the points system. Thank god that killed the tank rushes of CC4 and CC5 I've had to deal with.

What could be the next CC Battlefield? We could go East or West, pre-Kursk or post

Italy has never been done(nor Sicily) which could be a excellect slug match using alot of existing CC4/CC5 unit data(German, Brit and Commonwealth and American)

I don't know, but CloseCombat: The Road to Rome, sounds good for a title.
Anzio, Salerno, Sicily,

Or return to Normandy for Operation Epsom or The Battle of St.Lo, the hell of the Bocage.

RD Oddball

RE: What's next for CC?

Post by RD Oddball »

Some great ideas D.Ilse.
jomni

Post by jomni »

Pacific theater.  The new AI behavior of charghing to the flags looks very much like a Banzai charge.
TAIL GUNNER

Post by TAIL GUNNER »

Or return to Normandy for Operation Epsom or The Battle of St.Lo, the hell of the Bocage.

Well CC1 is the last to be updated....so St. Lo it may be...

My vote goes for France and the Low Countries, 1940.

Chad
"If you want peace, prepare for war."
Reboot

Post by Reboot »

Italia! (Especially Monte Cassino)
CCNUT
Dundradal

Post by Dundradal »

ORIGINAL: jomni

Pacific theater. 

Seconded.
"To you, we are deeply grateful, and release what little hold we might, as Durandal, have had on your soul.
Go."
- Final Terminal Message Marathon Infinity
LitFuel

Post by LitFuel »

ORIGINAL: Dundradal

ORIGINAL: jomni

Pacific theater. 

Seconded.

Thirded...Island hopping would be a nice change. If not Pacific then Italy would be my second choice.
Bradley62

Post by Bradley62 »

Top down is essential if it ever evolves to new engine. Meantime how 'bout something for Stalingrad!
Dundradal

Post by Dundradal »

The reconquest of Marianas or Philippines would be very interesting. I actually think one based on the liberation of Luzon might be interesting. Or the China-India-Burma theater.
"To you, we are deeply grateful, and release what little hold we might, as Durandal, have had on your soul.
Go."
- Final Terminal Message Marathon Infinity
Peterk1

Post by Peterk1 »

Hmmmm...Crete might be fun. More paratroopers. Bridge battles.
Otherwise Stalingrad, but you know, everything on here sounds good so far!

squadleader_id

Post by squadleader_id »

Stalingrad (summer and winter campaigns) mods are available for CC5...so they just need to be converted/ported to the new CC builds.
There's also a great Kreta mod for CC4...just waiting to be ported.
SkyStrike

Post by SkyStrike »

Finnish front or war around Burma. If not, then something Pacific or Russia.
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

Stalingrad could be very neat combining summer and winter....

Edit:
2nd would be Italy

I have enjoyed the couple mods between the Fins and Russians
sol_invictus

Post by sol_invictus »

Cassino, Stalingrad, or Pacific would be just fine.
"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero
D.Ilse

Post by D.Ilse »

I'd buy a game on St.Lo or Italy def..the PTO I don't know..no interest there really.
DasHoff

Post by DasHoff »

they need to update the graphics for the 21st century. CC with coh graphics would be joy
7A_Woulf

Post by 7A_Woulf »

Sicily could be fun; -The grand landing as a starter (both airborne and amphibious), multiple amphibious assaults as you advance around the island, small airborne and Commando operations and a mix of both Italian and elite German defenders.

Cassino to Rome including Anzio, thought of that when I saw a documentary about Cassino the other day.
Operation 'Nordwind', the sequel to the Battle of the Bulge.
Pacific, too little Marines in CC! [8D]

-And some work on the AI of course! [:'(]
chiroho

Post by chiroho »

The last CC game under development by Matrix, before they were acquired by Destineer Games in 2005, was Close Combat - Red Phoenix. This was a more modern scenario loosely based on the novel by Larry Bond in which the US fights with it's South Korean allies against attacks by North Korea and Russia. That's a scenario which I'd be very interested in seeing.

If the next game is a WW2 based game, I'd really like to see a theatre which hasn't previously been covered. Something like North Africa, perhaps Italy, the Balkans in 1941, or somewhere in the Far East. The only issue I see with anything in the Far East is that could end up spending a lot of time micromanaging your tanks through tiny jungle paths, and making frontal assaults on heavily defended entrenched positions in a lot of scenarios, and that doesn't seem as much fun as a freer flowing, more open location.
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

For me after play many CC5 mods the best choice is something where infantry rule and armor only play a marginal role as support units, an important role but not in huge numbers think that now you can merge units and you can have independent armor companies with... 10-15 tanks you can use then to reinforce pure infantry units with a limit for example 1 tank per 4 units with a maximun of 3 in a battle of 15 units.

I think that Pacific has interesting campaigns like Guadalcanal, Okinawa (one of the best mods for CC5 have armor but maps are full of armor traps) or Peleliu, in Europe good choices for me are Kreta or one of the battle in Italy for the east front well, Stalingrad is the obvious one and you can add others.

Of course if we have a new CC it could be out of WW2 are very good mods like Battle of the Ebro that have a pure infantry battle like in WW1 but with more flexible maps no excesive trench warfare.

But one think that they need is a new scale, for me BG need represent small unit from companies to btl not regiments or brigades, CC is a tactical game and operational level need be in proportion... i allways love the Bloody Omaha desing in campaign map [&o]
Andrew Williams

Post by Andrew Williams »

I have all the Red Phoenix work saved - 3D working models, an engine,  a bunch of research etc.

try not to mention it or someone might start it up again.
ImageImage

Return to “Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem”