Matrix Games Forums

A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pointe Du Hoc

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Pointe Du Hoc Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pointe Du Hoc - 7/3/2010 12:34:37 PM   
Bill Durrant

Just came back from a cycling trip around the Normandy Beaches and my friend asked me a question I didn't know the answer to:

Why did troops scale the cliffs at Pointe Du Hoc to assault the battery rather than use paratroops and glider troops as they did elsewhere?

My only thought was the geography with the battery being too close to the sea/cliffs but I'm not sure that is valid.

Any takers?

Sunk by 35cm/45 1YT Gun - Near Singapore
Post #: 1
RE: Pointe Du Hoc - 7/3/2010 2:41:59 PM   
Grim.Reaper

I've always kind of wondered this myself. Wasn't there any other way to take this position?

(in reply to Bill Durrant)
Post #: 2
RE: Pointe Du Hoc - 7/3/2010 3:22:06 PM   
7th Somersets

My guess is resources - lack of additonal paratroopers and aircraft.

For the same reason a parachute drop immediately behind the attacked beaches would have been a massive help to the men on the landing craft.

(in reply to Grim.Reaper)
Post #: 3
RE: Pointe Du Hoc - 7/3/2010 4:11:11 PM   
Yogi the Great

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Durrant

Why did troops scale the cliffs at Pointe Du Hoc to assault the battery rather than use paratroops and glider troops as they did elsewhere?

I'm certainly no expert - I think most of the paratroopers and glider troops were dropped further inland, not near the beaches (and cliffs) to directly assault beach defenses. They were to potentially capture bridges, road junctions and delay reinforcements to the beaches.

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg

Post #: 4
RE: Pointe Du Hoc - 7/3/2010 5:14:55 PM   
Twotribes

In WW2 Airborne were not precision drop troops. There is no way in 1944 they could have been sure paratroops would have landed near enough the guns and survived to be effective. Airborne on the allied side were not dropped into hot Landing zones. When the Germans did that at Crete they suffered something like 70 percent casualties.

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 5
RE: Pointe Du Hoc - 7/3/2010 7:56:04 PM   
Jim D Burns

Mostly it was due to the limits of technology of the day, precision drops back then were pathfinding Para troops dropped in a few hours ahead that would try and locate a suitable landing site and set up a small spotlight for the later arriving planes and gliders to use as a homing beacon. Many/most of the pathfinders that dropped that night were scattered far and wide, so it’s probably safe to assume a pathfinder team at Point du Hoc would have been miles off target had they tried to use one.

Just finding Point du Hoc at night from the air would have been all but impossible due to a lack of any significant landmarks visible from the air at night. The Orne River Bridges (the only precision air assault made on D-Day) were easy to find because the glider pilots could simply follow the river to the bridges. But as this picture shows:

http://www.atlantikwall.org.uk/point%20du%20hoc%2002a.jpg

Point du Hoc was a tiny bump in a pretty jagged coastline that would be very hard to see in daylight. Forget finding it at night from the air, it was simply not possible back then. Even assuming a pathfinder team had been able to somehow Para drop close to the target, the surrounding terrain made glider landings difficult at best.

They needed a 100% way to assure the guns would be attacked. A Para drop or glider landing was very iffy, so my guess is, it wasn’t even seriously considered when planning ideas were presented for taking out the target.

Jim

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 6
RE: Pointe Du Hoc - 7/3/2010 10:34:52 PM   
Carl Myers

If the Allies had the aircraft available, they would have air landed the 327th Glider Infantry Regiment near Carentan instead of having the regiment come ashore at Utah. Finding troops and aircraft to air land at Ponte du Hoc would have been difficult.

Post #: 7
RE: Pointe Du Hoc - 7/4/2010 4:00:16 AM   
ilovestrategy

I remember reading about that battle. The commanding officer said he visited that site ten years later and asked, "How the hell did we get up there?" 

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Carl Myers)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Pointe Du Hoc Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote