Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

We fight and die here

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> After Action Reports >> We fight and die here Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
We fight and die here - 7/1/2010 11:41:24 PM   
Count Sessine

Hi all

I've played the 'We fight and die here' scenario many times now as the Germans. It's the exploitation of 12SS from the Eisenborn Ridge (also a really hard nut to crack, thanks, Simovitch :-)).

I'd like to ask for tips to achieve more than a draw. As the Germans its very difficult.

I have two main courses of action:

a/ I've alternated between sending a blocking force of two battalions (SS and FJ) + the heavy PJ Abt + all the Paks from all units to the town of Oberweywerz. This force will block the 1 US ID from reaching Butgenbach and allow the 12SS reinforcements to assault directly from Bullingen to Butgenbach. Problem here is 1/ the blocking force always get almost completely destroyed in 2-3 days and 2/ the assault from Bullingen is too weak, even with 62 panzers from 12SS.

b/ a direct full on assault from Bullingen with all forces toward Butgenbach. This also mostly fails, heavy casualties and doubtful if we hold on to Butgenbach if we manage reach it.

The US artillery become increasingly powerful and I feel that it is the single most important obstacle to the attack. I wonder if I should send the mechanized SS PzGr on a sweep behind american lines to attack artillery battalions, but I somehow doubt they'll make it as their mobility isn't much better than a Mot unit.

Anyway, suggestions are welcome :-)

Post #: 1
RE: We fight and die here - 7/9/2010 9:22:11 AM   
Count Sessine

Well, I still haven't beaten it, although I have made some progress. My blocking force in Oberweywerz never survives the retreat to Burgenbach and the foothold I can get in Butgenbach from the other directions is always repelled in the end.

(in reply to Count Sessine)
Post #: 2
RE: We fight and die here - 3/6/2011 3:22:32 PM   
Count Sessine

Gents,

I'm obsessing a bit about this scenario. Can anyone offer advice how to beat the allied AI?

I've look over the scenario in the editor and, as usual, the allies experience level seems way to high. All allied troops in this scenario are pretty much 'crack' troops... I know the 1 US was experienced, but come on... :-)

Post #: 3
RE: We fight and die here - 3/6/2011 4:03:01 PM   
OlegHasky

Cs,
Keep in mind, that you are facing Blue Spaders here.

57% exp. +/- fairly do not seem to be at the highest possible level for the troops that was involved straightly from NA, trough Sicilly, Norandy, etc..
In fact, I wouldnt be suprised if those were kicked-up even more with some 20% +. Wouldnt have any objections for it. Were talking about one of the US finests.

As for your struggle. Maybe you could provide some screenshots with your strategies, comments -wich could be the base for further group sex/// ..I ment - analyse, and discussion

Time Elapsed.

Post #: 4
RE: We fight and die here - 3/17/2011 10:13:12 PM   
johndoesecond

Hi all,

I pulled a marginal victory.

I played it 5-6 times as Germans before so I was quite acquainted with what and when to expect things (but never switched to Allies to peep into reinforcement schedules)

I'm attaching the final situation.

First of all, I was probably lucky with the way the Allies AI decided to play.

My strategic interpretation of this scenario is this: it's essential to get Butgenbach ASAP, before main Allies reinforcements arrive and to manage the build up an effective defensive line there.

What I did is quite simple: I've given the Kuhlmann battlegroup (with all its subordinates) the order to move to Butgenbach, attack allowed, no rest, all the rest left default. I only detached the arty unit and deploy it in Bullingen. I ordered Holz group to defend at Schwarzenbuchel hill (afterwards, when Dom Butgenbach was occupied, I used Holz group as defenders.)

With some skirmish, important parts of Kuhlmann group managed to push through during the night and established a direct and more or less open corridor to Butgenbach via Dom Butgenbach. I'd say that that was strategically the most decisive achievement, for it allowed both for supply lines as well as for sending future reinforcements to Butgenbach.

For the rest of the show, I more or less threw everything coming from east to march on Butgenbach and Oberweywertz with attack on (I never managed to actually get Oberweywertz, but sneaking few units near the city somewhat delayed the advance of Allies' reinforcements). I gave orders mostly at regimental levels, except for the units coming in alone (e.g. I ordered singularly the tank destroyer reinforcements to march to Butgenbach).

The FJ reinforcements were a complete disaster, but maybe the fact that the Allies send a couple of Bn further south helped to release the pressure on Butgenbach.

Anyway, I didn't manage to exit anything, so all the points I accumulated were due to getting Butgenbach and Dom Butgenbach soon, and holding them more or less throughout the game.

Cheers.

< Message edited by johndoesecond -- 3/19/2011 1:51:58 PM >

(in reply to OlegHasky)
Post #: 5
RE: We fight and die here - 3/17/2011 10:15:38 PM   
johndoesecond

Error: delete this one

< Message edited by johndoesecond -- 3/17/2011 10:16:43 PM >

(in reply to johndoesecond)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> After Action Reports >> We fight and die here Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI