Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser TrailerDeal of the Week Alea Jacta Est
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to proceed after the wake-up order?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> How to proceed after the wake-up order? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to proceed after the wake-up order? - 6/30/2010 4:31:38 AM   
Templer

How to proceed after the wake-up order?

After I waked up my units do I have to give them (unit by unit) new orders again?

Is there a way my units will follow the orders given before the rest order without my intervention?
Post #: 1
RE: How to proceed after the wake-up order? - 6/30/2010 9:13:54 AM   
Haiku

What exactly do you mean by "wake up" your unit ? How do you do that ?

If you give a rest order to a unit, it will rest until you give it another order.

Also note that you could set the rest level of each task. Maybe it's what you need ?

(in reply to Templer)
Post #: 2
RE: How to proceed after the wake-up order? - 6/30/2010 9:36:42 AM   
Templer

The game manual page 109

Rest and Wake-up Your Units
To have your units wake up from resting:
-Order them to do anything other than Rest.

So at nighttime usally I order my units to Rest.

But at mornig I have to wake them manually.
Otherwise it would be fatal.

I didn´t now the units awake by itself.
For this I have nothing found in the manual.
Perhaps I have overlooked that.

I wanted to now ist there a way just to wake the up and they will continous their orders from the day before by self without giving new orders, i. e. Attack, again.

(in reply to Haiku)
Post #: 3
RE: How to proceed after the wake-up order? - 6/30/2010 9:47:58 AM   
Haiku

I don't understand why you order them to rest "manually" ? It should be rare exception in my opinion.

By default at nighttime each unit will auto-rest if the situation allows it. For instance a unit defending a rear non-threaten village will rest. In the other hand, a unit assaulting a position won't rest in the middle of the battlefield.

Usually I find the automatic behavior good. And you could still adjust a unit auto rest level manually (and dynamically) if needed. For instance, you need to choose "rest:none" to force a night march on a unit.

(in reply to Templer)
Post #: 4
RE: How to proceed after the wake-up order? - 6/30/2010 9:59:03 AM   
Franklin Nimitz

yes, don't order them to rest manually. Give them whatever multiday task- say a long move, and when they get tired they'll rest, and around 0430-0500 they'll wake up on their own and continue.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Templer

The game manual page 109

Rest and Wake-up Your Units
To have your units wake up from resting:
-Order them to do anything other than Rest.

So at nighttime usally I order my units to Rest.

But at mornig I have to wake them manually.
Otherwise it would be fatal.

I didn´t now the units awake by itself.
For this I have nothing found in the manual.
Perhaps I have overlooked that.

I wanted to now ist there a way just to wake the up and they will continous their orders from the day before by self without giving new orders, i. e. Attack, again.

(in reply to Templer)
Post #: 5
RE: How to proceed after the wake-up order? - 6/30/2010 10:01:22 AM   
Templer

I usally rest them at nighttime because there is less of fighting and I want to use this time of silence to reduce some fatigue.

Is this a bad idea?

Otherwise, won´t my troops fall into sleep at daytime, middle of the battlefield because they are completely exhausted?

(in reply to Haiku)
Post #: 6
RE: How to proceed after the wake-up order? - 6/30/2010 10:47:28 AM   
Pergite!

quote:

I usally rest them at nighttime because there is less of fighting and I want to use this time of silence to reduce some fatigue.

Is this a bad idea?

Otherwise, won´t my troops fall into sleep at daytime, middle of the battlefield because they are completely exhausted?

You can set the unit rest allowance to either None, Min, Norm and Max when giving them a task. This will give your sub-commander his opportunities to rest his troops. When it gets dark a unit wit Norm or Max will bunker down and begin to rest to restore their fatigue. This means that you do not have to order anything manually.

If you howevert hink the status of your troops comes secondary to the objectives, then order them to None or Min rest levels. Then they will conduct their tasks until they basically fall asleep.

I only use the manual rest order one occasion and that is if I want to conduct a night attack. In that case there might be a need to rest your troops during the day if they are fatigued.

(in reply to Templer)
Post #: 7
RE: How to proceed after the wake-up order? - 6/30/2010 11:11:21 AM   
Templer

Ah, I begin to understand - as I think.

OK. My units defending a city, village, spot, whatever.
No enemy in sight.
So. It gets dark my units with Norm or Max will begin to rest to restore their fatigue.
Suddenly, a surprisingly attack in the night.
Then I am in trouble. Right?
How to deal with it?

(in reply to Templer)
Post #: 8
RE: How to proceed after the wake-up order? - 6/30/2010 11:23:47 AM   
Pergite!

quote:

Ah, I begin to understand - as I think.

OK. My units defending a city, village, spot, whatever.
No enemy in sight.
So. It gets dark my units with Norm or Max will begin to rest to restore their fatigue.
Suddenly, a surprisingly attack in the night.
Then I am in trouble. Right?
How to deal with it?

The unit interrupts their rest and man their defences. You do not have to do anything.

When a company rests there will always be sentries and defensive positions manned, so the unit is never undefended. Its not like the whole company tuck each other in and goes to sleep.

If you however want to give a unit efficient rest, then pull it off the front-lines so it can continue with its rest task.

(in reply to Templer)
Post #: 9
RE: How to proceed after the wake-up order? - 6/30/2010 1:11:04 PM   
simovitch

quote:

Is this a bad idea?

I do this too, manually order some units to rest. But that will cancel the previous order of course. If they rest during another order they will continue when they wake up without a delay.

simovitch

(in reply to Templer)
Post #: 10
RE: How to proceed after the wake-up order? - 6/30/2010 1:37:49 PM   
PirateJock

quote:

Its not like the whole company tuck each other in and goes to sleep.

- but it does conjure up a lovely picture.

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 11
RE: How to proceed after the wake-up order? - 7/1/2010 9:52:07 PM   
hank

Whadyamean, don't manually tell your guys to rest?
I do it occassionally with overworked units when they're all dark brown tired as heck ... fatigued out to the max.  I also try to get them to go to a small town with hotels and running water to rest.

Those little guys like you better if you order them to rest instead of just letting them fall out waiting for the AI to let them rest.  They can feel your compassion for their suffering when you treat 'em good.

< Message edited by hank -- 7/1/2010 9:55:15 PM >

(in reply to PirateJock)
Post #: 12
RE: How to proceed after the wake-up order? - 7/1/2010 10:23:08 PM   
Pergite!

quote:

ORIGINAL: hank

I do it occassionally with overworked units when they're all dark brown tired as heck ... fatigued out to the max.  I also try to get them to go to a small town with hotels and running water to rest.

Those little guys like you better if you order them to rest instead of just letting them fall out waiting for the AI to let them rest.  They can feel your compassion for their suffering when you treat 'em good.

There are running water in the half frozen streams in the forests as well. I don´t want my men to get all soft and squishy on me. Besides, the best way to keep warm is to just keep moving, that will also prevent them to fall asleep so easily.

(in reply to hank)
Post #: 13
RE: How to proceed after the wake-up order? - 7/2/2010 1:45:45 AM   
hank

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pergite!

quote:

ORIGINAL: hank

There are running water in the half frozen streams in the forests as well. I don´t want my men to get all soft and squishy on me. Besides, the best way to keep warm is to just keep moving, that will also prevent them to fall asleep so easily.

Stream side camping is good. I'd take it. In fact I really like camping by a stream. Just be careful of the flash flooding.

(in reply to Pergite!)
Post #: 14
RE: How to proceed after the wake-up order? - 7/2/2010 2:00:06 AM   
bairdlander

Would it be better to have units sleep in daytime and attack at night?If the ai rests at night wouldnt this tactic make them very fatigued?

(in reply to hank)
Post #: 15
RE: How to proceed after the wake-up order? - 7/2/2010 2:06:50 AM   
Joe 98

quote:

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

Would it be better to have units sleep in daytime and attack at night?

If the ai rests at night wouldnt this tactic make them very fatigued?

This sounds like a good idea - and very gamey!

-

(in reply to bairdlander)
Post #: 16
RE: How to proceed after the wake-up order? - 7/2/2010 2:40:51 AM   
Franklin Nimitz

How are night attacks gamey? Someone should have told Monty El Alamein was a gamey ploy. That cheater!
quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

quote:

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

Would it be better to have units sleep in daytime and attack at night?

If the ai rests at night wouldnt this tactic make them very fatigued?

This sounds like a good idea - and very gamey!

-

(in reply to Joe 98)
Post #: 17
RE: How to proceed after the wake-up order? - 7/2/2010 2:49:51 AM   
simovitch

This tactic may backfire on you because I believe you fatigue faster at night and recover slower during the day.

simovitch

(in reply to Franklin Nimitz)
Post #: 18
RE: How to proceed after the wake-up order? - 7/2/2010 3:35:28 AM   
bairdlander

quote:

ORIGINAL: simovitch

This tactic may backfire on you because I believe you fatigue faster at night and recover slower during the day.

Is that official?Is there a reason why fatigue is faster at night,even if unit has rested,not been attacked all day?

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 19
RE: How to proceed after the wake-up order? - 7/2/2010 4:47:43 AM   
Arjuna

Yes units fatigue faster at night. The simple reason being poor visibility makes you focus harder, slows movement but increases the amount of terrain covered due to units heading in the wrong direction and then backtracking - not to mention that most peoples body clocks naturally wind down when its dark. Further units recover slower during the day because well its bright, the body click things again prefers to rest at night and work during the day, nearby enemy can harass you etc. There have been many studies confirming this.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

Post #: 20
RE: How to proceed after the wake-up order? - 7/3/2010 1:53:01 AM   
bairdlander

I understand.I guess I am thinking as a former infanteer,we would be in the field for 5 days at a stretch,getting maybe half hour sleep every 24 hours.If that.I guess units had a lot different sop's back in WW2 compared to the 90's.We also learned how to navigate at night,use of a compass etc.And of course we had nod's.Many times we would be ordered to attack at night,or have the "eneamy" attack us at night during exercises.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 21
RE: How to proceed after the wake-up order? - 7/3/2010 2:09:27 AM   
Arjuna

Well I recall doing likewise in the 70s, but that was invariably at the patrol level rather than the unit level. I do recall the incredible stuff ups when trying to move a whole battalion at night.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> How to proceed after the wake-up order? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI