Matrix Games Forums

New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Best way to use self-propelled artillery units ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Best way to use self-propelled artillery units ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Best way to use self-propelled artillery units ? - 6/29/2010 8:10:14 PM   
Repsol

Hello

What is the best way to use self-propelled artillery units ?

Hummel, Grille, Wespe...

- Will they do a good jobb as direct-fire support weapons ? (during assults on a willage...)
- Or should i keep them safe further back and use them only as bombarding units ?

I guess this depends to a large degree on what enemy units are likely to be in the area..but
i don´t know if its worth the risk to bring them forward or keep the in the rear and only bombard..

Grateful for any tips, Thanks

Post #: 1
RE: Best way to use self-propelled artillery units ? - 6/29/2010 10:16:08 PM   
Franklin Nimitz

I keep them back. They're open topped, and thinly armored.

(in reply to Repsol)
Post #: 2
RE: Best way to use self-propelled artillery units ? - 6/29/2010 11:15:50 PM   
Pergite!

If you need indirect fire, then use them as that. If you need direct support then use them in that role instead. They where designed to offer the flexibility as well as mobility to be where they where needed.

When used as direct support, be sure to check the effective range for their guns and then keep them at that distance. Choose terrain that gives good cover for them, as well as clear lines of sight toward their target. They are powerful weapons and are needed to be aimed at the enemy as much as possible. Do however check their ammo count frequently because they tend to carry quite a limited amount of ordnance. 

(in reply to Franklin Nimitz)
Post #: 3
RE: Best way to use self-propelled artillery units ? - 6/30/2010 6:13:30 PM   
Repsol

Hi, guys !
I have until now only used them as bombarding units and like Franklin Nimitz kept them in
the rear to avoid detection from enemy troops...I guess this works fine...They do a good job
bombarding...I will however try to bring them forward in the way Pergite described but what
i don't know is if the game differentiates (unsure about the spelling, uuh ) between bombarding
and direct fire...and if so if the killing-power of direct fire is greater than that of bombarding...
I feel that it would be easier,quicker and more precise to target enemy strongpoints from a hull down possition with good line of sight
to the target using direct fire than to have someone up front radio in a bombardrequest against a target the gun unit
can not se...
If the killing-power from direct-fire is greater then it might be worth the risk to bring them forward but if it´s not then i don't se any
reason to risk losing thoose units by brining them forward...

The question i have now:
Is it in the game ? will i get greater killing-power with direct fire ?

Franklin Nimitz, Pergite, THANKS for your reply

(in reply to Pergite!)
Post #: 4
RE: Best way to use self-propelled artillery units ? - 7/1/2010 4:00:39 AM   
Franklin Nimitz

Since its the same HE round, the gun should be lethal either way. Look at the range and accuracy data for those guns in the E&S tab to see what the effective range is.

Once they get into range, use the fire command to direct their fire to the desired target(s)- give them plenty of firing time, but keep an eye on ammo as Pergite said. Also, they will want to revert back to on-call bombardment missions when you are not giving them fire commands. Remember that they can do this just as well out of sight, so I wouldn't let them linger.

As the US in the Race for Bastogne scenario, one of my M-7 Priest units did a fantastic job in the direct fire role defensively one time, blocking a forested road that a large portion of the Panzer Lehr wanted to use for over 24 hours before being destroyed, so they can be very effective in direct fire roles.

(in reply to Repsol)
Post #: 5
RE: Best way to use self-propelled artillery units ? - 7/1/2010 7:59:45 PM   
Repsol

Hi !
I´m currently playing the 'battle of the roadblocks' scenario as the germans...
Among my forces i have som self-propelled batteries and gun platoons...
I will try to put them to good use in the direct-fire role from max range while the enemy
is engaged in combat with my armour and infantry...Hopefully they will not get targeted
right away atleast...
Good point about the FIRE command...I did not think of that
Intresting to hear about that M-7 unit...

Thanks for your help !

(in reply to Franklin Nimitz)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Best way to use self-propelled artillery units ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI