Matrix Games Forums

Come and see us during the Spieltagen in Essen!New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Rushed retreats also in BFTB?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Rushed retreats also in BFTB? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rushed retreats also in BFTB? - 6/17/2010 8:59:56 PM   
OlegHasky

Yeah.. I want to release a spy here. Spy that had ben sabotaging realistic expierience ever since.

The blatant example is from COTA (First clash at Veve to be precise)
I want to ask BFTB players if this had been improved in new release.

The case is heavy. It was discused by COTA players. But Panter never realy bothered.

You can see the situation below:

[image] [/image]

Eng Unit is on max entrench, at the rear, occupying the fortification.. Looks like a good position.. But afer few rounds of fire (not even arty fire) it is retreating without any suppression, witout losses, without ..any resonabe sense..
It is always realy anoing..

Just want to know. If this also is the issue in BFTB?

Thx
Oleg,

< Message edited by OlegHasky -- 6/17/2010 9:14:53 PM >

Time Elapsed.
Post #: 1
RE: Rushed retreats also in BFTB? - 6/17/2010 10:28:13 PM   
wodin

This is much improved in BftB....much imporved indeed...it does still happen but no where near as bade and they don't got to far....

Case in point I was attacking an entrenched German unit...my coys surrounded the unit and it didn't move from its trench...until it ceased to exist...this wouldn't have haapened in CotA that unit would have been doing some kind of native american death dance.

Like I said it happens but nowhere near as bad...you can pretty much overlook it now...I think Arjuna nearlll has it nailed and I expect it to be pretty damn perfect soon...there are a few niggles that are still there but like this one they aren't as bad nor are they as often.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to OlegHasky)
Post #: 2
RE: Rushed retreats also in BFTB? - 6/17/2010 11:01:21 PM   
emerson

Perhaps the fact that the selected unit is inexperienced, ill-trained, unfit, unaggressive, not very stubborn, has low moral, and possibly poor command ratings has something to do with their willingness to retreat? And they appear to be facing dug-in battalion (+) with gun and mortor support (of motorized SS?) and your engineers are on the extreme right flank with the closest supporting units half a Km away. I personally don't see a retreat in that situation by the example unit as out of the realm of possibility... On the plus side the other units appear to be holding on. Units in BFTB appear to hold as I expect under the circumstances...

< Message edited by emerson -- 6/17/2010 11:09:20 PM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 3
RE: Rushed retreats also in BFTB? - 6/17/2010 11:26:04 PM   
DanO

I do think that often what appears to be illogical or broken makes reasonable sense when you properly analyse what's going on. It happens to me all the time. I think emerson might have nailed the real reasons in this case.

(in reply to emerson)
Post #: 4
RE: Rushed retreats also in BFTB? - 6/17/2010 11:35:45 PM   
simovitch

Panther did rework the terrain defensive benefit algorythms for BFTB to better define the advantages of dug-in vs entrenched in the various terrain types. It applies a lot better now.

simovitch

(in reply to OlegHasky)
Post #: 5
RE: Rushed retreats also in BFTB? - 6/17/2010 11:57:07 PM   
wodin

Thanks Simovitch...I remember asking Arjuna about it just before the release and he said I'd be pleased with the improvements and I do notice a big difference.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 6
RE: Rushed retreats also in BFTB? - 6/18/2010 12:07:14 AM   
Arjuna

I also overhauled the reaction code to make it more likely to hold where the unit is in good defensive terrain.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 7
RE: Rushed retreats also in BFTB? - 6/18/2010 1:01:58 AM   
MarkShot

I am still playing HTTR and COTA as recently as this weekend.

If you study things on the micro level in careful detail, there are things which are a little odd here and there. Still I enjoy them immensely; especially now that these titles are closed and I am just playing for pure fun.

You know when I watch the Science Channel, they tell me that the greatest minds have yet to reconcile Relativity and Quantum Mechanics. Yet every morning I am able to get out of bed, brush my teeth, and take pleasure in the day ... even though something just isn't quite right. Go figure!

< Message edited by MarkShot -- 6/18/2010 1:03:04 AM >

Panther Games (RDOA/HTTR/COTA/BFTB) Beta Tester

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 8
RE: Rushed retreats also in BFTB? - 6/19/2010 2:46:29 AM   
fleischer

The moving back and forth is basically still there, although entrenched and fortified units now hold much longer.

This is indeed one of the oddest aspects of these games...

(in reply to OlegHasky)
Post #: 9
RE: Rushed retreats also in BFTB? - 6/19/2010 5:30:25 AM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

ORIGINAL: fleischer

The moving back and forth is basically still there, although entrenched and fortified units now hold much longer.

This is indeed one of the oddest aspects of these games...

I'm not privy to the internal workings of the game. Like the rest of you, I'm reduced to what's observable, and that can sometimes seem a bit odd.

Then again...

There's a scene in the second or third episode of Band of Brothers where "Easy Company" is subjected to a combined arms attack. Their situation is made all the more dire by the fact that elite airborne companies to their left and right have fallen back in disarray, leaving E Coy to its own devices. In the end, it's not a counterattack from the rest of the battalion that saves them, but the arrival of armor from the Allied Beach-head.

Sound like airborne assault?

If there's really something wrong, bang the drum loudly. But, please, keep an open mind.

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to fleischer)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Rushed retreats also in BFTB? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI