Matrix Games Forums

A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: BFTB Service Pack 1 - Progress

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Tech Support >> RE: BFTB Service Pack 1 - Progress Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: BFTB Service Pack 1 - Progress - 6/21/2010 10:02:57 PM   
Chief Rudiger

If a parent unit has orders to rest but is given a move command with a delayed start date, say dawn, its subordinates instantly form road columns in situ and their status says "moving". The units do not actually move but their routes are planned and their state obviously changes because units gains fatigue, lose cohesion and only "rests" during the default night rest period. If the move order rest level is set at "none" the units do not rest during the standard night hours. As moving/assaulting infantry units in particular fatigue quickly I and I assume most other players probably tend to set orders with rest set to "none", so as they don't just sit down and give up after assaulting but before automatically consolidating. This bug really nerfs the delayed start feature as it fatigues units unnecessarily.

Edit: This isn't in reply to Wodin.... ---> Lie

< Message edited by Chief Rudiger -- 6/21/2010 10:25:44 PM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 31
RE: BFTB Service Pack 1 - Progress - 6/22/2010 12:09:23 AM   
Deathtreader

+ 2 for the Beta patch.

< Message edited by Deathtreader -- 6/22/2010 12:10:43 AM >

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

(in reply to bretg80)
Post #: 32
RE: BFTB Service Pack 1 - Progress - 6/22/2010 7:17:44 AM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief Rudiger

If a parent unit has orders to rest but is given a move command with a delayed start date, say dawn, its subordinates instantly form road columns in situ and their status says "moving". The units do not actually move but their routes are planned and their state obviously changes because units gains fatigue, lose cohesion and only "rests" during the default night rest period. If the move order rest level is set at "none" the units do not rest during the standard night hours. As moving/assaulting infantry units in particular fatigue quickly I and I assume most other players probably tend to set orders with rest set to "none", so as they don't just sit down and give up after assaulting but before automatically consolidating. This bug really nerfs the delayed start feature as it fatigues units unnecessarily.

Edit: This isn't in reply to Wodin.... ---> Lie

I set rest to none if I need my troops to go all out all night...if you give an order at nighttime and don't set it to none they just stay asleep...caught me out a few times.

It's the units staying in attack order after they have finished and not going into defense and resting that gets me.....your fatigue level just stays sky high even though the troops are just sitting there.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to Chief Rudiger)
Post #: 33
RE: BFTB Service Pack 1 - Progress - 6/28/2010 2:45:46 AM   
Johnnie

Any update on the patch or "service pack?"

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 34
RE: BFTB Service Pack 1 - Progress - 6/28/2010 3:32:47 AM   
Panther Paul

Hi,

Have just finished including the CTD bug fixes into the Demo which has been uploaded to MAtrix so they can build an installer for it. Once we test the installer the Demo can be released.

Now back to solving issues. Dave is back later this week and then we will be able to work out a time frame.

Paul Scobell
Panther Games Pty Ltd

(in reply to Johnnie)
Post #: 35
RE: BFTB Service Pack 1 - Progress - 6/28/2010 12:36:50 PM   
PirateJock

Just to confirm ... will there be a separate patch for game owners or do existing owners download the Demo and use that - dragging and dropping files from their initial install?

(in reply to Panther Paul)
Post #: 36
RE: BFTB Service Pack 1 - Progress - 6/28/2010 2:46:52 PM   
Panther Paul

A seperate patch.

The Demo code wont play release scenarios.

Paul Scobell
Panther Games Pty Ltd

(in reply to PirateJock)
Post #: 37
RE: BFTB Service Pack 1 - Progress - 6/28/2010 4:26:50 PM   
PirateJock

Will the game patch come out the same time as the Demo? If not do you know when it'll be?

Cheers

Post #: 38
RE: BFTB Service Pack 1 - Progress - 6/28/2010 7:27:17 PM   
Arjuna

The Demo will get released once I have had a chance to lok at it. I am currently on my way back to Australia. So I reckon it will be sometime in the next week or so.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to PirateJock)
Post #: 39
RE: BFTB Service Pack 1 - Progress - 6/28/2010 8:03:40 PM   
john688

Why is the demo getting priority over the patch ?

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 40
RE: BFTB Service Pack 1 - Progress - 6/28/2010 8:24:24 PM   
christophers

@john688

I suppose because it is more feasible to get new customers than to satisfy those who have already paid. Unfortunate, but it seems that is the case.

(in reply to john688)
Post #: 41
RE: BFTB Service Pack 1 - Progress - 6/28/2010 8:32:20 PM   
simovitch

quote:

ORIGINAL: john688

Why is the demo getting priority over the patch ?

The demo is ready, the patch is not. The patch will have several data content fixes and probably a few more bug fixes and additional testing that were not needed for the demo.

simovitch

(in reply to john688)
Post #: 42
RE: BFTB Service Pack 1 - Progress - 6/28/2010 8:40:01 PM   
john688

So no quick fix for CTDs.

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 43
RE: BFTB Service Pack 1 - Progress - 6/28/2010 10:26:08 PM   
Arjuna

AFAIK Paul has fixed all the CTDs. The Patch is waiting my return to Autralia as well as the demo. They'll both get priority over all other business. My aim will be to release them asap after my return.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to john688)
Post #: 44
RE: BFTB Service Pack 1 - Progress - 6/29/2010 12:02:58 AM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arjuna
The Patch is waiting my return to Autralia as well as the demo.

There's a rumor going around that President Obama believes that Autralian is a language.

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 45
RE: BFTB Service Pack 1 - Progress - 6/29/2010 8:52:04 AM   
PirateJock

Thanks for the info.

Cheers

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 46
RE: BFTB Service Pack 1 - Progress - 7/1/2010 9:35:18 PM   
redmarkus4

It happens all the time (meaning very often) so it should be easy to reproduce. I sent a save game a few weeks ago on another thread (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2487125) that showed an example with HQ movement.

There's a similar issue with mortar units which was reported and acknowledged, but I don't see it mentioned in the list of fixes.

Maybe the AI is too clever and HQ/mortar/support units should just be coded to always stay behind the infantry and to run from the enemy when spotted by any subordinate unit? I understand that having the HQ do its own check to determine whether it moves onto the objective is good for the purposes of realism, but how many HQ staffs actually wandered into the enemy's lines historically. Surely not so many that hard-coding more sensible behaviour would spoil the game experience...

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 47
RE: BFTB Service Pack 1 - Progress - 7/2/2010 4:18:25 PM   
GBS

Rredmarcus said - I understand that having the HQ do its own check to determine whether it moves onto the objective is good for the purposes of realism, but how many HQ staffs actually wandered into the enemy's lines historically.

Stonewall Jackson is the only one I can think of.......gulp....

(in reply to Chief Rudiger)
Post #: 48
RE: BFTB Service Pack 1 - Progress - 7/8/2010 4:12:45 AM   
Johnnie

So, any news on when? If the CTD's are fixed, I think an interim patch should be issued now.

(in reply to GBS)
Post #: 49
RE: BFTB Service Pack 1 - Progress - 7/8/2010 4:51:16 AM   
bretg80

It appears that our request for a beta patch has fallen on deaf ears. Dave has purposely avoided discussing a beta patch and has completely avoided discussing what happened and why the quality was so poor. I think he took his eye off the ball while he was in the US at Origins and unfortunately, the game was not in a good place while he was away. Be that as it may, Dave has indicated that we may see a patch in the next week, so let's keep our fingers crossed that they will be successful with this first patch and we'll have the fixes we need soon.

(in reply to Johnnie)
Post #: 50
RE: BFTB Service Pack 1 - Progress - 7/8/2010 12:50:13 PM   
PirateJock

For the sake of a few days (hopefully ) I can't see any benefit of a beta patch for general release - it's a short-term, interim measure taking up time better spent finishing off the real thing. In the grand scheme I'm not sure how Dave being in the US has any significant impact on the game. From the amount of travelling and gaming done I'm not sure if his eyes would even be open

(in reply to bretg80)
Post #: 51
RE: BFTB Service Pack 1 - Progress - 7/8/2010 1:24:20 PM   
Deerslayer

quote:

ORIGINAL: bretg80

It appears that our request for a beta patch has fallen on deaf ears. Dave has purposely avoided discussing a beta patch and has completely avoided discussing what happened and why the quality was so poor. I think he took his eye off the ball while he was in the US at Origins and unfortunately, the game was not in a good place while he was away. Be that as it may, Dave has indicated that we may see a patch in the next week, so let's keep our fingers crossed that they will be successful with this first patch and we'll have the fixes we need soon.

I ran into this same CTD show stopper issue with COTA and was unable to play for a long time. Main reason I am holding off on this one as didn't want to go through this again.

(in reply to bretg80)
Post #: 52
RE: BFTB Service Pack 1 - Progress - 7/8/2010 3:07:12 PM   
killkess

quote:

ORIGINAL: PirateJock
it's a short-term, interim measure taking up time better spent finishing off the real thing.

The time for finishing the real thing was before releasing this beta-state product. This convinces me again that I should not buy any software before trying them directly on my computer before.

(in reply to PirateJock)
Post #: 53
RE: BFTB Service Pack 1 - Progress - 7/8/2010 3:14:25 PM   
sharper

quote:

ORIGINAL: killkess

quote:

ORIGINAL: PirateJock
it's a short-term, interim measure taking up time better spent finishing off the real thing.

The time for finishing the real thing was before releasing this beta-state product. This convinces me again that I should not buy any software before trying them directly on my computer before.

How are you going to do this I wonder?

All the best
Stephen

(in reply to killkess)
Post #: 54
RE: BFTB Service Pack 1 - Progress - 7/8/2010 3:35:27 PM   
Ron

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharper

D-E-M-O....

Duh.

(in reply to sharper)
Post #: 55
RE: BFTB Service Pack 1 - Progress - 7/8/2010 3:59:13 PM   
sharper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharper

D-E-M-O....

Duh.

Demo's can be much older than the most up to date patch for many games.

All the best
Stephen

(in reply to Ron)
Post #: 56
RE: BFTB Service Pack 1 - Progress - 7/8/2010 5:15:00 PM   
PirateJock

By real thing I mean gold build patch. And rather unusually in this case the demo will be the patched version .. hey having to wait for the demo has worked out to the good in the end ... if only the rest of life was so serendipitous.

(in reply to sharper)
Post #: 57
RE: BFTB Service Pack 1 - Progress - 7/8/2010 5:46:01 PM   
bretg80

At this point I agree, a beta patch is not much good if they release the patch this week. However, we were asking for a beta patch weeks ago. We'll see if we are still asking for a patch in a few weeks.

Bret

(in reply to PirateJock)
Post #: 58
RE: BFTB Service Pack 1 - Progress - 7/12/2010 2:16:04 PM   
GBS

I lost KG Gutman HQ this morning in Race to Bastogne because it ran off by itself ahead of it's line units. This must be an imposible behavier to fix as it seems to be one of the oldest issues with the series. Heres wishing Arjuna figures something out...at last.

Post #: 59
RE: BFTB Service Pack 1 - Progress - 7/18/2010 1:58:58 PM   
killkess

What are the news about the patch?

At least keep us informed.... its already annoying enough not to be able to play.

(in reply to GBS)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Tech Support >> RE: BFTB Service Pack 1 - Progress Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI