Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!Distant Worlds: Universe gets a new updateDeal of the Week: Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich Advanced Tactics Gold is coming to SteamMatrix Games now speaks German!A little bit of history with To End All WarsBattle Academy 2 gets a release date!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

ship upgrade question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> ship upgrade question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ship upgrade question - 6/8/2010 12:03:39 AM   
jcjordan

I've got 2 BB's sitting in Darwin (NC & WA) that are due for the 3/43 upgrade that says it needs no size shipyard nor creates damage & ship will be avail in 7 days but they won't upgrade . I've had this happen a few times before in a similar upgrade for a ship but couldn't figure out why but I just sent the ship (mostly transports that I really could do w/o for the time) to a rear shipyard but would really like to keep the BB's in Darwin for bombardments for invasions I'm ready for. Darwin is lvl 5 or 6 port (I don't have game loaded up right now as I'm at work so forget exactly what it is) plus 40k supply & an undamaged AR in port. What am I missing on an upgrade that needs no shipyard nor creates damage to the ship that would need to be repaired?
Post #: 1
RE: ship upgrade question - 6/8/2010 12:58:25 AM   
Don Bowen

A level 5 port an AR, no shipyard, and no naval support can only upgrade ships up to 18,800 tons. To upgrade bigger ships you need bigger ports or more facilities.

(in reply to jcjordan)
Post #: 2
RE: ship upgrade question - 6/8/2010 1:08:05 AM   
Sredni

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

A level 5 port an AR, no shipyard, and no naval support can only upgrade ships up to 18,800 tons. To upgrade bigger ships you need bigger ports or more facilities.

Is there a formula somewhere for this? I glanced through the manual and didn't see anything.

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 3
RE: ship upgrade question - 6/8/2010 1:09:31 AM   
Don Bowen

There is a formula but I do not think it is published. Might be, I just don't know. If it ain't, I can't.

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 4
RE: ship upgrade question - 6/8/2010 1:28:50 AM   
Rainer

The shipyard size needed for a specific upgrade can be obtained by clicking on "Upgrade on <date>" (lower right corner) of the ship in question.
This will show you several pieces of information, like Damage caused by the upgrade, Minimum Upgrade Delay in days, and lastly the Minimum Shipyard Size.

How the Minimum Shipyard Size is adjusted (if at all) by Naval Support or other means I do not know.

WitP/AE Devs Fan Boy
1.7.11.23x10 beta
Data base changes by Andy Mac October 16, 2012
Scen #1 Allied vs AI Level Hard Daily Turns
Art Mods by TomLabel and Reg
Topo Map by chemkid

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 5
RE: ship upgrade question - 6/8/2010 2:12:49 AM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rainer

How the Minimum Shipyard Size is adjusted (if at all) by Naval Support or other means I do not know.

It's not. If a minimum shipyard size is specified, it must be present. No ifs, ands, or buts.

If a minimum shipyard size is NOT specified, the accumulated capacity of the port (by size), shipyards, repair ships, tenders (if appropriate) and naval support must offset the size of the ship.

If appropriate means the right kind of ships for the tenders. Subs/Sub Tenders, etc.

Capacity means a calculated value based on port size, shipyard size, amount of naval support, presence of repair ship(s) and tender(s). The exact formula used may not be in the manual and I am not authorized to publish it.

(in reply to Rainer)
Post #: 6
RE: ship upgrade question - 6/8/2010 2:15:46 AM   
cap_and_gown

I believe Tracker can provide info on the minimum port size needed.

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 7
RE: ship upgrade question - 6/8/2010 3:21:19 AM   
jcjordan

I'll see if Tracker can shed any more light on it (I'm still learning more about the things it shows) but will look around the manual for more hints but there was no Naval support though I've got a RAN naval base on the move to there so I can xfer the RAAF base to the rear for a TOE upgrade. I did have a couple of other tenders there - AO, AKE, AG & AD specifically for fueling/rearming the surface ships when Darwin was a smaller port.

Rainer - I had checked on that & all it said was 7 days for the refit to take place & 0 for everything else so I thought it'd work in Darwin but will see about Don's info which I'm thinking it might be the lack of naval support being the cause.

(in reply to cap_and_gown)
Post #: 8
RE: ship upgrade question - 6/8/2010 6:55:41 AM   
Mistmatz

http://hc-strategy.com/ae/wiki/index.php?title=Upgrade

If you gained knowledge through the forum, why not putting it into the AE wiki?

http://witp-ae.wikia.com/wiki/War_in_the_Pacific:_Admiral%27s_Edition_Wiki

(in reply to jcjordan)
Post #: 9
RE: ship upgrade question - 6/8/2010 11:30:11 PM   
jcjordan

I'll check that but since it's just add some AA & radar switch w/ no damage to ship in the upgrade & having an AR in port (since an AR could repair the damaged devices if they were damaged in combat), I'd think it should happen there even if the ship was too large. No real biggie but just trying to figure it all out & learn something new

I was reading in the manual in the Upgrade section & it talks about the port's "ability" & that more info is in the "Port Section below" but I didn't really find that section unless it was talking about the chart of the port size required to rearm a ship device.

Meanwhile I went ahead & sent the ships to Brisbane/Sydney as I think they'll upgrade & be back to Darwin quicker than if I waited for the RAN base w/ naval support to finish marching from Alice Springs to check things out further.

(in reply to Mistmatz)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> ship upgrade question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI