Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

COTA Tuturial Mission 1 for BFTB

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> COTA Tuturial Mission 1 for BFTB Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
COTA Tuturial Mission 1 for BFTB - 5/30/2010 4:31:36 PM   
Chief Rudiger

Hi,

I have recreated the COTA tuturial in BFTB. It involves an Australian Bde attacking a reinforced German Battalion accross a river. I recreated this scenario to spot the differences between the two engines, and because i think it is a nice little scenario.

I am planning to create the second scenario, which sees a German reinforcements (Tank Bn, Remaing Infantry and Armoured Infantry) force counter attack the exhausted Australians and Greeks, from the North, and then a few days later, a UK Armd Bde reinforcement from the South. The objectives in the second scenario is to hold the river yourself, then push the Germans back to the city of Lamia, and exit Armd forces to the North. If you've played the COTA scenario you'll know the scenario grows quite a bit, so i might be busy for a while.

The zip, linked to below, includes the files necessary to play the scenario. Simply copy the contents from each of the zip's sub folders over to the corresponding folder with your BFTB directory. These will not overwrite any BFTB files.

The COTA maps graphics are not include, as these files would add an additional 5Mb to the DL. You can find compatible map graphics through Matrix's COTA download page, such as "Back to Coloured Paper", which are just as good or even better.

To use the COTA maps graphics you must copy and paste the MapPatA, MapKey and MapPat.bmp files from the Graphics\Map folder in COTA into the Graphics\Map\Default\Normal of BFTB. TThe screenshot shows the default COTA graphics, i.e. the above COTA files, placed in the BFTB following folder.

If you want to alter the map graphics you should back up the original contents of the Graphics\Map\Default\Normal folder so you don't have to reinstall BFTB if you want to change back. The weather for the particular scenario is set as good, as default, but i'm not sure if BFTB Mud graphics will display if it rains....

Other than that i have tried to recreate the COTA scenario as faithfully as possible, aside from making the village at the big bridge a little bigger to make it easier for the Germans to resist on the opposite slope of the small river valley amd to stand a better chance of blowing the bridge. I have omitted several Greek/British specified vehicles and equipment where i thought existing estab entries were satisfactory substitutes, such as Quad Artillery Tractors or Greek Weapons. This was done for simplicity, for now and i will add them in due course.

I have added no new items to the estabs other than the Vickers' Light Tks, which modded Dingo Scout Cars but with some armour and speed values taken from COTA, and obviously different weapons. I don't think they act any differently than the units in COTA, but i hope to eventually fine tune the details.

I would appreciate any comments on my porting of the scenario. If you find any bugs, please let me know.

Download Link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I2P0PDC3

Ryan

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Chief Rudiger -- 5/31/2010 9:00:37 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: COTA Tuturial Mission 1 for BFTB - 5/30/2010 6:11:22 PM   
Bamilus

Great job! As someone who has never played COTA I look forward to play these scenarios!

Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee

(in reply to Chief Rudiger)
Post #: 2
RE: COTA Tuturial Mission 1 for BFTB - 6/28/2010 12:26:17 PM   
planetbrain

Chief,
Thanks for the conversion. I look forward to giving it a run. Did make a separate dedicated COTA graphics folder though to avoid changing back & forth. Pointed the MM to this Dir for this map.

'Mostly harmless'

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 3
RE: COTA Tuturial Mission 1 for BFTB - 6/28/2010 1:22:28 PM   
zanekin

you haven't fix the Kar98 reliability issue...

(in reply to planetbrain)
Post #: 4
RE: COTA Tuturial Mission 1 for BFTB - 6/29/2010 10:08:55 AM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: zanekin

you haven't fix the Kar98 reliability issue...

Easy to change in the editor...I have...just change the amounts and click reompile and save I upped the high rate of fire for the MG42 aswell....you only want to set high rate in emergency now as your ammo drops rapidly....

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to zanekin)
Post #: 5
RE: COTA Tuturial Mission 1 for BFTB - 7/4/2010 7:48:23 PM   
Chief Rudiger

Well spotted. Did you play it?

Here is the second part, for anyone who cares to play an unfinished scenario...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DNCHQBNI

The estabs for the units are fairly complete, apart from the German Recon Bn whose plethora of Armd Cars i didn't care to model, and the UK Amrd Bde ... so the scenario doesn't reach the same levels of all arms complexity as COTA. In fact, come to think of it i didn't even give the Aussies Boyes AT Rifles... oh dear, bit of a half arsed job!

Still, the German Pz, Inf and Mot Inf estabs are roughed out if anyone cares to reuse the Estab then go ahead. The Australian Inf Division is complete, i think, apart from the AT Rifles.

Fundamentally i've lost interest in trying to recreate the scenario seeing as i don't intend to re-use any of the units i'd have to recreate to complete it. It plays interestingly enough, perhaps, but there are too many errors and bugs that would need ironed out to make it a good un. As i say, the work is there if anyone cares to complete it.

(in reply to zanekin)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> COTA Tuturial Mission 1 for BFTB Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI