Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Happy Memorial Day!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Happy Memorial Day! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Happy Memorial Day! - 5/29/2010 4:10:00 PM   
JohnDillworth

Already this morning a B-17F has flown by my house and a P-51D keeps buzzing the harbor at about 1,000 feet. Yes, it is memorial day and the airshow is in town! That p-51 really moves and is loud. Must be burning a ton of gas but that must be fun!

Art comforts the disturbed and disturbs the comfortable.
Post #: 1
RE: Happy Memorial Day! - 5/29/2010 6:41:08 PM   
Chickenboy

Happy Memorial Day to you too, John. Enjoy the respite and remember those who served.

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 2
RE: Happy Memorial Day! - 5/29/2010 6:58:19 PM   
Kitakami

Remembering those who defended freedom and paid for it with their lives. Also remembering those who still do so, and are much maligned and misunderstood by the very ones they protect.

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3
RE: Happy Memorial Day! - 5/29/2010 7:20:05 PM   
Bullwinkle58

This week:

"SAN DIEGO (AP) — Retired Navy Lt. John Finn, the oldest Medal of Honor recipient from World War II, died Thursday at his southern California ranch. He was 100. Finn was the first man to receive the nation's highest military award for heroism during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941. He was the oldest of 97 Medal of Honor recipients still living.

Despite head wounds and other injuries, Finn, the chief of ordnance for an air squadron, continuously fired a .50-caliber machine gun from an exposed position as bullets and bombs pounded the base at Kaneohe Bay in Oahu. He then supervised the rearming of returning American planes.

"Here they're paying you for doing your duty, and that's what I did," Finn told The Associated Press before his 100th birthday. "I never intended to be a hero. But on Dec. 7, by God, we're in a war."

Finn received the Medal of Honor on Sept. 15, 1942, from then-President Franklin D. Roosevelt.

He retired from the Navy in 1947, but continued to help young sailors, Lt. Aaron Kakiel said.

"He's been a real inspiration to a number of our aviation ordnance men and an example for the entire Navy," he said.

Born July 23, 1909, in Los Angeles, Finn lived for 50 years on his ranch near Live Oak Springs, outside San Diego.

He will be buried with full military honors. Kakiel said the Navy was still working with his family members on the details.

Copyright © 2010 The Associated Press"

The Moose

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 4
RE: Happy Memorial Day! - 5/29/2010 7:24:06 PM   
Bullwinkle58

And this. War never changes.

"Theresa Flannery, Iraq War veteran and former beauty queen, dies at 32
By JIM WARREN - McClatchy Newspapers

LEXINGTON, Ky. -- Theresa Flannery went to Iraq in 2004 and walked into one of the hottest firefights of the war.

She and other U.S. soldiers were trapped on the roof of a government compound at Najaf, dodging rifle fire and rocket-propelled grenades from renegade militiamen. Flannery traded gunfire with enemy snipers, shattering bones in her wrist diving for cover. A photo of Flannery, taken during the two-hour fight, circulated around the world, and the former Miss Madison County was recommended for a Bronze Star.

Back home in Kentucky, Flannery got a hero's welcome. But only family members and close friends knew of the price she paid, and her struggles with post traumatic stress disorder.

Last Thursday, Flannery, 32, died while on a visit in Lexington, N.C. She apparently died in her sleep.

Preliminary autopsy results were inconclusive. But her father, David Flannery, said he has no doubt that her death was related to the physical and emotional scars she carried from her experiences in Iraq.

"That's my gut feeling," he said. "Theresa had been dealing with some horrible problems from PTSD. She was being treated for that, and they kept changing the medication she was taking. She was on 85 percent disability from the Army. She had lost a lot of weight."

Flannery leaves behind a son, Nicholas Flannery, 5.

By all accounts, she lived life to the fullest and threw herself into everything she undertook, whether it was playing sports or soldiering. Her mother, Maggie Flannery, used to call her "a 5-foot-3 fireball."

Flannery grew up in Richmond, and she was crowned Miss Teen Madison County at age 13. She was runner-up for Miss Madison County at age 18, and she assumed the title when the winner couldn't complete her reign. She ran cross country at Madison Southern High School, graduating in 1997.

Service was expected in the Flannery family. Her father and both her brothers served the Lexington Police Department. Her brothers also served in the military, one earning a Bronze Star in Iraq. Flannery joined the Army after high school, served overseas, then joined the Army Reserve when her enlistment ended. She returned to active duty in late 2003.

In Iraq, she was assigned to the 350th Civil Affairs Command, a unit that didn't normally go into combat. But in late March 2004, Flannery volunteered for a potentially dangerous mission, accompanying military observers at Najaf, where millions of Shiite Muslims were making an annual religious pilgrimage. A guerrilla attack was feared.

It came on the morning of April 2, 2004, when snipers opened fire on the government compound where she and her companions were on duty. A bullet meant for her struck one of her companions. She helped to care for the wounded, and their blood soaked her clothing.

She attained the rank of sergeant and ultimately received the Army Commendation Medal with Combat Distinguishing Device, and the Purple Heart. When she came home on leave in June 2004, Sgt. Flannery helped arrange for the Lexington Police Department to send 50 pieces of Kevlar body armor for soldiers to use in Iraq.

But David Flannery says his daughter's problems began soon after her Iraq tour ended at the close of 2004. She had nightmares, he said, and she went through periods of deep depression. Memories of Iraq could send her into tears. Her father said she was invited to speak at a military memorial event in Richmond, Ky., a few years ago, but she became too emotional to finish her speech.

"There were a lot of ups and downs," he said. "They would put her on some drug for a few months and it would help. Then, it would stop working and they would switch to another drug. It was really hard for her, particularly trying to raise her son."

Nevertheless, Flannery kept moving forward, trying to help others.

In recent years, she had been living in Lexington, working at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center.

She completed a bachelor's degree from Lindsey Wilson College and was working on a master's, her father said.

He said she had hoped to become a counselor, helping other veterans.

Read more: http://www.thesunnews.com/2010/05/25/1494995/theresa-flannery-iraq-war-veteran.html?storylink=mirelated#ixzz0pLNzSTwH"

The Moose

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 5
RE: Happy Memorial Day! - 5/29/2010 7:35:56 PM   
JWE

Good Memorial Day to you too, John. I'm there with Chickenboy and Kitakami; a fun 3-day weekend with good friends, but we always make special time for 'absent companions'.

Post #: 6
RE: Happy Memorial Day! - 5/29/2010 7:43:13 PM   
usersatch

That's a sad story Bullwinkle. I live about 30 min from Lexington and didnt hear anything in the news about it.

I have no doubt that many women can serve in combat units as well as men, but do you think they are more susceptible to PTSD and it's effects than men?

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 7
RE: Happy Memorial Day! - 5/29/2010 8:10:41 PM   
Feinder

Honest question - Do you say "Happy" Memorial Day?
It's not really "happy", you know what I mean?

It's about remembering and paying respect to those who have fallen protecting us.
I dunno. I feel a little odd saying "Happy" Memorial Day.

I guess I'm asking someobody who served and actually lost friend(s).
How would ~you~ feel is the respectful address of Memorial Day?
I know it's just semantics, but semantics can be important sometimes.

I took the boys and their Grandfather to the Armed Forces Museum on Largo this morning (which is very good if anyone is in the Tampa area FYI). Actually, fair to say, Grampa took us, because he insisted on paying. But I got a pair of lapel flags for the boys to wear for the weekend. After all, it seems like most everybody else thinks it about BBQs and mall sales.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to usersatch)
Post #: 8
RE: Happy Memorial Day! - 5/30/2010 12:30:49 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: usersatch

That's a sad story Bullwinkle. I live about 30 min from Lexington and didnt hear anything in the news about it.

I have no doubt that many women can serve in combat units as well as men, but do you think they are more susceptible to PTSD and it's effects than men?

It was in my paper today (Saturday) in the obits "Elsewhere" section. I think the paper subscribes to a national service for those.

I don't know any stats about women and PTSD, but I'd venture that they might have an easier cultural time asking for help, so perhaps they don't go as far down before getting help. That's just a supposition. In this case, it appears she did get help, but it wasn't enough.

The Moose

(in reply to usersatch)
Post #: 9
RE: Happy Memorial Day! - 5/30/2010 3:55:03 PM   
Grit

Here is a link to a very good video of photographs taken around the world. The pictures were contributed by people interested in photography. So they tend to be very good. I contributed a photo I took of the National Cemetery in New Bern, North Carolina.

Memorial Day

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 10
RE: Happy Memorial Day! - 5/30/2010 5:00:16 PM   
LST Express

Happy Memorial day! Would there be any other American holidays to celebrate if it wasn't for what this one represents.

(in reply to Grit)
Post #: 11
RE: Happy Memorial Day! - 5/30/2010 7:40:45 PM   
Whisper

Sunday parade this morning in dress. Full unit. Filled the grinder deep and wide. CO showed and talked about who we were and why and then he read the names, a long long list of names with all their honors and just our unit back till back when. Took a long time.

(in reply to LST Express)
Post #: 12
RE: Happy Memorial Day! - 5/30/2010 7:49:26 PM   
tocaff

Happy Memorial Day to all.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Whisper)
Post #: 13
RE: Happy Memorial Day! - 5/30/2010 10:15:03 PM   
Cuttlefish

I wrote the following for my "Small Ship, Big War" WITP AAR a little over two years ago. I thought of the passage today and decided it might be worth posting again in honor of Memorial Day.

---

Wars end, though war goes on. The guns fall silent. And when the echoes of their thunder die away what remains are the quiet places, the hallowed places, the places where the dead are buried.

Stand at Arlington while the bugler plays “taps” and listen as the last notes echo and fade among the endless rows of headstones. Walk at Flanders Fields amid the neat rows of white crosses, where the poppies still blow. Stand at Groesbeek, at Brookwood, any place where the fallen are honored. There are such places in every nation. Wars end. But the dead remain.

The dead, perhaps, are beyond caring. They have given everything they were, or might have been, in service to their country and passed on. It is given to those of us who remain to honor them, to tend their graves, and to remember who they were and why they died.

We may judge the cause for which they fought, debate the wisdom of their leaders, and argue about the course of the battles in which they fell. But we should never forget. For in forgetting we diminish not only who they were and why they died, we diminish ourselves. When service and courage and honor are neglected the soul is left threadbare. If there is ever to be a time when we no longer have to dig fresh graves to receive the broken bodies of those who die in war, we should never forget.

Post #: 14
RE: Happy Memorial Day! - 5/30/2010 11:53:11 PM   
captskillet

Here's to the ones who gave it all in service to their country!

"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

Post #: 15
RE: Happy Memorial Day! - 5/31/2010 1:15:13 AM   
BrucePowers

I am remembering friends and family who served (and all who served).

< Message edited by BrucePowers -- 5/31/2010 1:16:24 AM >

(in reply to captskillet)
Post #: 16
RE: Happy Memorial Day! - 5/31/2010 8:07:02 AM   
JeffroK

ditto to Feinder's comment.

Happy ANZAC Day doesnt work either.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 17
RE: Happy Memorial Day! - 5/31/2010 8:11:45 AM   
comte

It is now the moment when by common consent we pause to become conscious of our national life and to rejoice in it, to recall what our country has done for each of us, and to ask ourselves what we can do for the country in return.

"In Our Youth Our Hearts Were Touched With Fire", address delivered on Memorial Day, May 30, 1884, at Keene, NH, before John Sedgwick Post No. 4, Grand Army of the Republic.

-Oliver Wendell Holmes-

But when Territories are acquired in regions where there are differences in language, customs, and laws then great good fortune and much hard work are required to hold them.

-Machiavelli, Il Principe, Book III-

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 18
RE: Happy Memorial Day! - 5/31/2010 2:09:53 PM   
Bearcat2

Remebering my uncle; HF Forbes, USS Cyclops and all his shipmates

< Message edited by Termite2 -- 5/31/2010 2:11:22 PM >

"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 19
RE: Happy Memorial Day! - 5/31/2010 3:27:28 PM   
Knavey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Termite2

Remebering my uncle; HF Forbes, USS Cyclops and all his shipmates

A very interesting read about this is linked below.

http://www.bermuda-triangle.org/html/u_s_s__cyclops.html

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"

(in reply to Bearcat2)
Post #: 20
RE: Happy Memorial Day! - 5/31/2010 6:37:54 PM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

It's about remembering and paying respect to those who have fallen protecting us.

-F-

In a sense Feinder, it is 'happy'. It is a time when we can celebrate the freedom to enjoy friends, eat barbeque, drink beer; celebrate just what we got - know what I mean. And we wouldn't be here without that long, long, line of absent companions. I know if I got whacked, I would expect my friends to have a rip-snorting wake on my death day and not be glum and solemn, and that's what we were fighting for, yeah?.

IMHO, it is enough to remember them; to put out that empty glass, and to enjoy, for their sakes, the life they gave us, but never forgetting that faint image of that long, long, line that got us here. Some remember by being happy with what was given. Some remember by being solemn about what was lost. Both are valid, so long as we remember.

Sorry for the philosophical bs, but yeah, 'Happy' Memorial Day doesn't resonate badly with me.

Ciao. John

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 21
RE: Happy Memorial Day! - 6/1/2010 9:58:11 PM   
Kwik E Mart

Interesting bit of history. I just learned this was not a National Holiday until 1971.

From History.com

Memorial Day was originally known as Decoration Day because it was a time set aside to honor the nation's Civil War dead by decorating their graves. It was first widely observed on May 30, 1868, to commemorate the sacrifices of Civil War soldiers, by proclamation of General John A. Logan of the Grand Army of the Republic, an organization of former sailors and soldiers. On May 5, 1868, Logan declared in General Order No. 11 that:

"The 30th of May, 1868, is designated for the purpose of strewing with flowers, or otherwise decorating the graves of comrades who died in defense of their country during the late rebellion, and whose bodies now lie in almost every city, village, and hamlet churchyard in the land. In this observance no form of ceremony is prescribed, but posts and comrades will in their own way arrange such fitting services and testimonials of respect as circumstances may permit."

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 22
RE: Happy Memorial Day! - 6/1/2010 10:02:20 PM   
Kwik E Mart

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

I took the boys and their Grandfather to the Armed Forces Museum on Largo this morning (which is very good if anyone is in the Tampa area FYI). Actually, fair to say, Grampa took us, because he insisted on paying. But I got a pair of lapel flags for the boys to wear for the weekend. After all, it seems like most everybody else thinks it about BBQs and mall sales.

-F-

guess i fit that category...i was offered "Happy Memorial Day" a couple of times yesterday and took no offense...besides, i'm not sure how else we would acknowledge it to each other...

< Message edited by Kwik E Mart -- 6/1/2010 10:06:06 PM >

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 23
RE: Happy Memorial Day! - 6/1/2010 11:22:16 PM   
Misconduct

I don't celebrate at all, simply have a few beers and toast to those not coming home.

ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7

(in reply to Kwik E Mart)
Post #: 24
RE: Happy Memorial Day! - 6/2/2010 7:40:25 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

Already this morning a B-17F has flown by my house and a P-51D keeps buzzing the harbor at about 1,000 feet ...

Connecticut saw the return of the state bird, the Corsair; a few fly home to Stratford every time this year, like swallows to some other town I can't spell.

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Happy Memorial Day! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI