Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!Distant Worlds: Universe gets a new updateDeal of the Week: Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich Advanced Tactics Gold is coming to SteamMatrix Games now speaks German!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Future Directions - Features

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> RE: Future Directions - Features Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Future Directions - Features - 6/8/2010 1:10:05 AM   
moberly

I am not sure how reasonable the possibility is, but I'd love for there to be a 'replay' feature, where I could watch the battle from the start from either side (or have FOW turned off and be able to see all the units on both sides). And it would be very cool to be able to download replays from other players, so it would be possible to watch games played by the experts. Combat Missions was a great game for a lot of reasons, but being able to play through games by great players just by downloading their turn files was an awesome feature.

(in reply to GoodGuy)
Post #: 91
RE: Future Directions - Features - 6/8/2010 1:33:01 PM   
CptWasp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Haiku
* Lessen the efficiency of weak scattered units lost behind enemy lines. Unless commando units, they should have very low morale, very higher order delay or even stay in route status until the situation improves for them. IMO, they are too much pain (both for me or for the AI) than they historically should have.

* Replay.

* Option to relocate HQ without affecting subordinates.

I totally agree with you on these points.

I add: more realistic artillery usage, I hate those "squares"! I want to specify the affected area, and maybe the pattern (linear and advancing, for barrages, circular...)

Cpt.Wasp

Member of the NWI staff (http://www.netwargamingitalia.net/)
Proud co-founder of Balena Ludens
(http://www.balenaludens.it/)

(in reply to Haiku)
Post #: 92
RE: Future Directions - Features - 6/9/2010 12:52:10 PM   
Arimus

There are times when I would like to move just the HQ company, and not the entire force that it commands. Currently to do this you have to detach all the units under its command and reattach them when finished.

(in reply to CptWasp)
Post #: 93
RE: Future Directions - Features - 6/9/2010 1:10:25 PM   
CriticalMass

I guess this dettach/attach may simulate the SOP of the time: "you guys are own your own, do as you are told until we contact you again oh and by the way...you (points to Btn leader) are in charge until then".

But, I agree there should be a single "task" to do that. 

I decided to ignore my orders and to take command at the front with my own hands as soon as possible
- Lieutenant General Erwin Rommel

(in reply to Arimus)
Post #: 94
RE: Future Directions - Features - 6/9/2010 2:49:25 PM   
Arimus

meh, its more like "I'm moving the HQ company, don't follow me!"

(in reply to CriticalMass)
Post #: 95
RE: Future Directions - Features - 6/9/2010 3:36:20 PM   
jnpoint

Is all this feature-talking just something we are dreaming about, or will someone use it for anything. And if 'yes', will it then come out as a patch or add-on? just curious.

(in reply to Arimus)
Post #: 96
RE: Future Directions - Features - 6/9/2010 10:49:50 PM   
DanO

Paths: When checking paths with the pathing tools it would be great to be able to hold shift and set waypoints.

jnpoint: See the first post in the thread, but this is for Panther Games to gather what future features users would like to see and so determine what they'll be working on next. I'm not sure if that means patches or add-ons or the next game - probably a bit of each. :)

< Message edited by DanO -- 6/9/2010 10:51:53 PM >

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 97
RE: Future Directions - Features - 6/10/2010 3:06:14 AM   
Joe 98

1. Use the pathing tools to choose the preferred path.

2. The line of the path is drawn on the map.

3. At the same time (say) 10 waypoints are provided.

4. The player can then grab any way point and move it a bit to make the path more precise.

-

(in reply to DanO)
Post #: 98
RE: Future Directions - Features - 6/10/2010 10:07:22 AM   
Arimus

There are two formations I would like to see added. A Screen formation and a Patrol formation. The screen would be like the line formation with a larger spacing per man and automatically be set to low aggro.
The patrol formation would probable take some programming but patrolling is a big part of military operations. With these two formations and the ability to stretch an individual unit we could probable consolidate platoons into companiesin the scenario OOB's. Infantry platoons and recon platoons are a pain. They are very fragile, have little combat power, can't be recombined into a company, and create alot of work for the player that takes away from the focus of the game. A corps or division commander should be giving orders to battalions and companies.

(in reply to Joe 98)
Post #: 99
RE: Future Directions - Features - 6/10/2010 10:55:57 AM   
jomni

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arimus

There are two formations I would like to see added. A Screen formation and a Patrol formation. The screen would be like the line formation with a larger spacing per man and automatically be set to low aggro.
The patrol formation would probable take some programming but patrolling is a big part of military operations. With these two formations and the ability to stretch an individual unit we could probable consolidate platoons into companiesin the scenario OOB's. Infantry platoons and recon platoons are a pain. They are very fragile, have little combat power, can't be recombined into a company, and create alot of work for the player that takes away from the focus of the game. A corps or division commander should be giving orders to battalions and companies.

Can't you do the screen yourself. I think the probe command is sufficient.

Best leave partrolling to the computer. It's probably implied in the unit's detection range already.

My Blog
Random Wargame Name Generator

(in reply to Arimus)
Post #: 100
RE: Future Directions - Features - 6/10/2010 1:55:29 PM   
Arimus

You can't screen with an individual unit. The frontage on a unit is fixed, only the AI can stretch that.

I would leave patrolling to the computer. I would just like to set up the AO and the frequency, like any commander would, like my squadron commander did with me.

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 101
RE: Future Directions - Features - 6/10/2010 10:08:14 PM   
kipanderson

More smaller scenarios please :).

Hi,

Having looked at the scenario analysis my vote would go for more smaller scenarios. Each to their own but they are my favourite.

I think that the analysis shows there are two or three small scenarios with around 79 units, I would like to see half a dozen with no more than 50 units each.

But I agree.... each to their own... ;)

All the best,
Kip.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 102
RE: Future Directions - Features - 6/11/2010 1:50:49 AM   
Heva

I'd like to see a replay of the whole battle, with all units shown (no intel or bad reports) and what they are doing at any given time. Be a great tool to help develop our skills.

(in reply to kipanderson)
Post #: 103
RE: Future Directions - Features - 6/11/2010 2:09:29 AM   
jomni

quote:

You can't screen with an individual unit. The frontage on a unit is fixed, only the AI can stretch that.

Ahh I now see where your getting at. I thought it was for the whole battalion.

My Blog
Random Wargame Name Generator

(in reply to Arimus)
Post #: 104
RE: Future Directions - Features - 6/11/2010 4:34:40 AM   
GoodGuy

quote:

...The frontage on a unit is fixed, only the AI can stretch that.

Unless this option didn't make into BFTB and unless it's a dummy function (that doesn't work) only, you can set the frontage (360°), its depth and width (worked in COTA at least).

< Message edited by GoodGuy -- 6/11/2010 4:35:28 AM >

"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006

(in reply to Arimus)
Post #: 105
RE: Future Directions - Features - 6/11/2010 12:59:22 PM   
Arimus

I don't have a link to the post, but I remember reading that Dave said you can set the frontage of an individual unit, but it doesn't do anything.
Then I noticed that the AI did change the frontage of an individual unit when I gave that formation a very long front. So I guess we can indirectly...

Edit:
You bring up a good point though, is a screen a formation or a mission. It is probable a mission with a very long line formation. Actually, the line formation could become a string OP's with patrols inbetween. It could even be a mission restricted to say cavalry or motorized infantry.

< Message edited by Arimus -- 6/11/2010 1:03:03 PM >

(in reply to GoodGuy)
Post #: 106
RE: Future Directions - Features - 6/11/2010 1:53:10 PM   
Arjuna

Traditionally a screen can be used either offensively or defensively. In the western desert both sides would use their armoured car/recon units to form a screen well forward of the MLR. In the case of the side on the offense they would attempt to probe and find weakspots to exploit. In the case of the defensive side they would attempt to detect hostile movement and deny the enemy recon entre towards the MLR. Both of these really require their own doctrine to model the behaviours correctly. Currently BFTB doesn't have such doctrine.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Arimus)
Post #: 107
RE: Future Directions - Features - 6/12/2010 1:18:07 PM   
wodin

I'd like it that there where active links in the scenario briefing....so if you read you have to cross the river at Roth then head towards Bradenburg it would be good if you could click the word Bradenburg and the map would scroll there...this would help when trying to formulate your plan...at the moment I can spend awhile searching the map trying to find the places mentioned in the scenario briefing.

Also someone mentioned this...when you issue a defend task it would be great if you where able to state a fallback postion aswell.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 108
RE: Future Directions - Features - 6/12/2010 1:23:17 PM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: jnpoint

Is all this feature-talking just something we are dreaming about, or will someone use it for anything. And if 'yes', will it then come out as a patch or add-on? just curious.

Features are added to new games in the series...the ones most asked for will be the ones in future games...unless it's a very small feature it might make it into a patch...major features will be new games...

Dave does take all these down and they get added to a big list....many things asked for here have been asked for before so are already on the magic list..

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 109
RE: Future Directions - Features - 6/14/2010 12:09:07 AM   
Prince of Eckmühl

I've got an idea, but its going to be hard for me to explain, without using my hands, so please be patient!

Would it be possible, without wrecking all that which you have thus far created, to allow maps to morph from day-to-day (or week-to-week)?

The base-map, elevations and the like, would remain the same, but, as designated by the designer, a different map would take the place of the original when its summoned forth.

While similar, the new map(s) would reflect changes in topography that take place because of events which are not modeled in the game.

For instance, an air-raid could turn a town to rubble, or a partisan raid could destroy a bridge.

Or some paths could appear in a nasty old minefield!

Obviously, such a feature would require the designer to create additional maps to support the function.

Oh, and could you make the map selection random, not in terms of time, discreet/indiscreet, but which map-morph actually displays when the game calls it forth?

This may be something that you want to sleep on.

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 110
RE: Future Directions - Features - 6/14/2010 1:30:09 AM   
Arjuna

I'm sleeping!

What you are after is dynamic terrain. We already have a limited version of this with the crossings. And yes it is very limited. I also suspect that you are after this data driven feature as an easy fix for what should be a set of new features - eg minefield clearance, bombing towns etc. The trouble with dynamic terrain as we currently employ it is that you need to recalc the underlying movement and terrain maps to reflect the change. At the moment this necissitates a complete recalc for the entire map and this can take up to a minute. Hence why you get the pause when we build or blow a crossing. There are ways around this - ie to implement seemless dynamic terrain - and these are on the wish list.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 111
RE: Future Directions - Features - 6/14/2010 9:17:16 AM   
wodin

I never knew you couldn't se the frontage\depth of an individual unit....seems odd....any reason for this and if not can it be changed?

Prince,

You ask for the world my son I remember the time it took Dave todo the bridge recalcs so I imagine its a massive commitment..also how slow would the game go...though if it could be done then I'm all for it.

< Message edited by wodin -- 6/14/2010 9:18:42 AM >

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 112
RE: Future Directions - Features - 6/15/2010 11:40:33 AM   
zanekin

Sorry if I've missed some post responding to my questions but I need some clarification about missing (and possibly future) features.

Could you confirm that:

1. There's no minefield or terrain elements increasing disorder (as barbed wire for instance) but only slowing units. I wonder if static units with fort position can handle properly bunker or other pillbox...

2. There's no conditionnal orders or mixed order. A breakthrough (attack then exploit) would be a major improvement.

3. There's non AA fire. So AA units are purely combat and medium range support units.

4. Motorised infantry can't dismount nor embark (on tank for instance). So their vehicules are always unrealistically exposed in combat.

5. There's no friendly fog of war.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 113
RE: Future Directions - Features - 6/15/2010 12:30:07 PM   
Arjuna

There is flak or AAA fire against incoming air strikes within range. This was added to BFTB.

But yes all the other features are still on the wish list. Your number two is typically referred to as sequential tasking and triggers. Mot/Mech Inf units do dismount and remount but the vehicles are not relocated away. When dismounted the vehicles are not as vulnerable.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to zanekin)
Post #: 114
RE: Future Directions - Features - 6/15/2010 12:52:15 PM   
zanekin

Thanks a lot for this quick answer.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 115
RE: Future Directions - Features - 6/15/2010 1:52:19 PM   
Gobicz

I would love to see plastic terrain, exactly as you can see it in Google Earth, when you go down. I always check terrain by Google Earth before battle, so it will be great to see terrain during a battle, see units go up to hills or down to valley. I know, graphic is not important in this game, but it looks terribly old.

(in reply to zanekin)
Post #: 116
RE: Future Directions - Features - 6/15/2010 3:46:02 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

I never knew you couldn't se the frontage\depth of an individual unit....seems odd....any reason for this and if not can it be changed?

Prince,

You ask for the world my son I remember the time it took Dave todo the bridge recalcs so I imagine its a massive commitment..also how slow would the game go...though if it could be done then I'm all for it.

Hi Wodin,

It's really just a workaround of sorts. I suspect that all it would require is for the game to call up a different map. As Dave indicates, this would cause the game to cough and sputter for a bit, but it might be worth the inconvenience. The bigger issue might be including the extra maps. That would be some heavy lifting and make the game a LOT more demanding of disk-space. Anyway, it was just an idea.

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 117
RE: Future Directions - Features - 6/15/2010 10:55:49 PM   
hank

After a couple of complete games and a week of playing, here's my list (if some of these have already been posted, and I know they have, please forgive):

Add a HALT order with a feedback message after compliance indicating all units under the unit receiving the Halt order have indeed stopped and are ready for a new order

Added air asset features:
Air recon for behind line intelligence including reporting for downed air recon units (losses result in score deducts)
Air strike data: specifically lost aircraft stats which are deducted from score; there should be scoring consequences for calling in air strikes if they go bad
Carpet bombing; areas of high density bombardment and resulting terrain affects (rubble and its hinderance on movement)

Mine fields (already mentioned); add mine field clearing capabilities to the appropriate engineering units; obvious loss of men and equipment if crossed without clearing

Engineers being highlighted when priming or bridge construction is complete (flashing highlight possibly) ... I know a message is sent but some graphical indication is nice

Overall Campaign Map function at the scenario selection screen (already mentioned) (similar to the map in the Game Manual listing all the scenarios and their location)

Fill out the Unit History tab for at least division level up. (including commander info or at least a hisorical listing of its commanders)

Map graphics for entrenchments and bunkers; map graphics for severe rubble resulting from continuous bombardment and air strikes with resulting reduction of movement

(some of these terrain features would require map recalculations; simply pop a message box describing the delay to the User warning of a recalc of movement factors - possibly use this as a warning before the event causing the recalc)

That's if for now.

great game ...

< Message edited by hank -- 6/15/2010 11:00:54 PM >

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 118
RE: Future Directions - Features - 6/18/2010 9:06:15 PM   
Chief Rudiger

Could we have a Gantt chart showing Reinforcement times? each arrivals bar would start at the earliest possible arrival time and end at the latest possible arrival time. The x-axis would show time and be coloured to show day/night time. This would help orientate the player (who liked Gantt charts) quicker at the start of every scenario. Right now i have to spend nearly a whole evening gaming session making a plan for execution the next time i get time to play!

I remeber when i used to play Silent Hunter and sat for ages with a protractor and compass working out what course i would have to steer for how long at what speed to get ahead of a convoy which i was shadowing in order to turn in for a night attack at. It was war, but not so much "glorious".

(in reply to hank)
Post #: 119
RE: Future Directions - Features - 6/19/2010 3:23:46 AM   
Arjuna

CR,

I like it. Though as far as the UI is concerned it might be better to have the Y axis for time and then we can include this on the sidebar and scroll it vertically. The other option is to open up a separate window, which I am not attracted too. So far we have avoided doing that with the UI. That way there is no clutter. And we don't like clutter!

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Chief Rudiger)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> RE: Future Directions - Features Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI