Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Future Directions - Features

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> RE: Future Directions - Features Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Future Directions - Features - 7/13/2013 9:43:24 PM   
Templer

I want an option to stop the time running when a 'flash report' and/or an 'urgent report' message comes up.

(in reply to Templer)
Post #: 391
RE: Future Directions - Features - 7/14/2013 1:36:12 PM   
jimcarravallah

quote:

ORIGINAL: Templer

I want an option to stop the time running when a 'flash report' and/or an 'urgent report' message comes up.

You do.

Click <Pause> on the game speed.

If you go to the Msg window, you can click on the message and see where on the map it originated.

Take care,

jim

(in reply to Templer)
Post #: 392
RE: Future Directions - Features - 7/14/2013 2:58:09 PM   
dazkaz15

quote:

ORIGINAL: jimcarravallah

quote:

You do.

Click <Pause> on the game speed.

If you go to the Msg window, you can click on the message and see where on the map it originated.

Just to add to Jim's post that you can turn the ON Screen messages, which are displayed at the top left of the game window, on with one of the buttons at the bottom of the UI, and also to filter the messages you see there.
Just in case you didn't know this yet.

What you need to do then is just keep an eye out for the yellow or red text, and hit pause as soon as you see it.
It's just a work around until there is an auto pause feature, that hopefully we will see in CO2.

(in reply to jimcarravallah)
Post #: 393
RE: Future Directions - Features - 7/14/2013 3:02:53 PM   
dazkaz15

Auto pause work around.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 394
RE: Future Directions - Features - 7/14/2013 3:39:58 PM   
jimcarravallah

quote:

ORIGINAL: dazkaz15

. . .

Just to add to Jim's post that you can turn the ON Screen messages, which are displayed at the top left of the game window, on with one of the buttons at the bottom of the UI, and also to filter the messages you see there.
Just in case you didn't know this yet.

What you need to do then is just keep an eye out for the yellow or red text, and hit pause as soon as you see it.
It's just a work around until there is an auto pause feature, that hopefully we will see in CO2.

Thanks Dazkaz, I overlooked turning the messages on, as it's SOP in my screen set up.

Back to the original, from my POV, the auto pause, if programmable at no cost to playability, ought to be available as an option rather than a feature.

Feature implies to me one gets it whether they want it or not.

At the level I choose to command operations, my choice is not to react to crisis messages unless I get a number of them in a row over a short period of time because occasional bad news notices are the result of fighting battles, but I'll trust my sub-commanders to address them on their own initiative but a lot of bad news over a short time means something significant has caused a crisis for the plan and there's a need for adjustment.

It's a kind of "you can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs" approach.

Take care,

jim

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 395
RE: Future Directions - Features - 7/14/2013 5:53:23 PM   
dazkaz15

quote:

Thanks Dazkaz, I overlooked turning the messages on, as it's SOP in my screen set up.

Back to the original, from my POV, the auto pause, if programmable at no cost to playability, ought to be available as an option rather than a feature.

Feature implies to me one gets it whether they want it or not.

At the level I choose to command operations, my choice is not to react to crisis messages unless I get a number of them in a row over a short period of time because occasional bad news notices are the result of fighting battles, but I'll trust my sub-commanders to address them on their own initiative but a lot of bad news over a short time means something significant has caused a crisis for the plan and there's a need for adjustment.

It's a kind of "you can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs" approach.

Yes, most definitely optional Jim. I totally agree.

Post #: 396
RE: Future Directions - Features - 7/14/2013 5:54:29 PM   
dazkaz15

In game images

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by dazkaz15 -- 7/14/2013 7:16:32 PM >

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 397
RE: Future Directions - Features - 7/15/2013 2:03:44 AM   
Arjuna

OK I get the hint, you want a bigger picture frame and you're volunteering to get the necessary larger public domain images.

Miquel,

Could you please look into this and Skype me with some options. Thanks.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 398
RE: Future Directions - Features - 7/15/2013 1:31:04 PM   
dazkaz15

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

OK I get the hint, you want a bigger picture frame and you're volunteering to get the necessary larger public domain images.

Well... kind of

I still have a Job, two needy grandkids, a dog, a large garden, and house to maintain, a wife to ...service an Elsenborn Ridge AAR that I hope to finish one day, and I do like to play the game in my spare time as well

But I will most certainly look out for some of the missing pictures for you.
In the mean time the smaller ones will also fit into a larger frame if Miguel packs it out with a green background, yes?
Also you should wait till CO2 interface upgrade, or you will be doing the work for free again
Maybe if you stop support for the very low resolution dispays you will be able to fit more on screen at a time as well?
Is there anyone reading this that still uses the lowest resolution settings?

< Message edited by dazkaz15 -- 7/15/2013 1:42:03 PM >

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 399
RE: Future Directions - Features - 7/15/2013 3:59:11 PM   
jimcarravallah

quote:

ORIGINAL: dazkaz15

quote:

Maybe if you stop support for the very low resolution displays you will be able to fit more on screen at a time as well?
Is there anyone reading this that still uses the lowest resolution settings?

The issue isn't who in this forum uses low resolution, but whether supporting low resolution support is a viable option for expanding the customer base given all the other attributes attractive to someone interested in an operational level battle simulation.

It's anecdotal "evidence", but there were times in the past when I couldn't buy an intriguing title or battle mode offered by a new or updated game engine (primarily of the American Civil War and Napoleonic War eras which were my first great interest in wargaming) because its minimum requirements exceeded the capacity of the computer I owned at that time.

I wasn't going to buy a new computer or graphics card because I wanted to see horses gallop, guns expel smoke, little cannon balls throw up dirt, and infantrymen march on a 3-D battlefield as part of the "enhancement."

But I was willing to pay the price asked because even though 2-D, the game mechanics, maps, and force structures offered me a new battle to explore, or a more intriguing way to explore a battle I already owned.

Many of those titles and companies are no longer around, possibly because they made their computer overhead for those parts not related to the gameplay created a small inside a larger potential market.

It's handy that Command Ops offers the added graphics to satisfy curiosity about a system I wasn't familiar with until encountered as part of an unit Estab. But, unless there's a potential of marketing the game to a broader audience because better quality public domain photos attract more graphics and history aficionados than people who want to explore battles among World War II era forces on custom modelled terrain, I wouldn't arbitrarily cut off the potential market by limiting the systems where the game engine can be used effectively to a subset of systems now considered part of the potential market.

Take care,

jim

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 400
RE: Future Directions - Features - 7/15/2013 6:49:34 PM   
Templer

quote:

I concretises.
Of course, I mean an auto-stop!

Sometimes I'm so absorbed by the game map and the counters, or even distracted, that I did not notice one or more reports.

So please an optional auto - stop.

(in reply to Templer)
Post #: 401
RE: Future Directions - Features - 7/17/2013 2:25:46 AM   
GoodGuy

quote:

.....you want a bigger picture frame and you're volunteering to get the necessary larger public domain images.

As you can see on the screenshot dazkaz15 posted above, you have to quote the German Federal Archive ("Bundesarchiv") as source and add the signature of the picture (identification code i guess, eg. Bild 101I-127-0391-21, where "Bild" means "picture", plus you have to add the name of the photographer (last name is sufficient, if it's known). In theory, reproduction is allowed without permission, if the conditions above are met.

Also, with all the pictures and reels stored in the NARA archives, US governmental institutions are both pretty lax (when it comes to copyrighted material obtained in/from other countries) and pushy (by imposing their views on other countries), if it comes to copyrights of material that's more than 60 years old.
While US institutions boldly declare material that had been either confiscated (eg. in Germany, Japan, and other countries) or collected 60+ years ago to be part of the public domain pool, there still may be companies, institutions, or individuals who are still rightful/legal owners of the respective copyrights, according to European/German/foreign laws.
US companies that are incorporating such material into their products (for commercial use) often don't care about such foreign copyrights if their products are being distributed in the US only.
But since the Slitherine Group is active in the UK, thus inside European legislation, and since copies of Matrix Games are sold to individuals or resellers residing in the European Union, copyright limitations or special licensing (like for Bundesarchiv content) should be

• a) respected,
  • b) researched,

before taking "bigger pictures" from the supposed "public domain" pool and incorporating them into a commercial product.

I still advise to contact the Federal Archive for infos regarding reproduction within a commercial product (like a game).

< Message edited by GoodGuy -- 7/17/2013 2:58:49 AM >

"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 402
RE: Future Directions - Features - 7/17/2013 11:55:39 AM   
Bletchley_Geek

quote:

I concretises.

Sometimes I'm so absorbed by the game map and the counters, or even distracted, that I did not notice one or more reports.

That's quite feasible, Templer and you're not alone requesting something like that :)

Regarding picture frames: I'm trying to wrap my head around some UI redesign. The idea would be to offset image placement in way it gets centered in the picture frame.

(in reply to Templer)
Post #: 403
RE: Future Directions - Features - 7/17/2013 3:41:50 PM   
Perturabo

quote:

quote:

I concretises.

Also, a customizable auto-pause - for example I would be interested almost exclusively in pausing on messages about air strikes.

And while we're at it, ability to customize auto-save (time and amount of files). I can't use the current autosave because it saves the game too often and in too many files.

Without social solidarity manifested in the form of welfare state, people inhabiting one territory are a non-nation of mortal enemies engaged in competition for survival.

(in reply to Templer)
Post #: 404
RE: Future Directions - Features - 7/17/2013 4:46:50 PM   
Brindlebane

Got to agree with an option for variable auto-saves.I can see why it was added after reading through most of the forums.As a very latecomer to the dinner table though,the game seems absolutely stable in it's current form.I've played quite a bit of the game now and crashes are a total rarity.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 405
RE: Future Directions - Features - 7/17/2013 6:20:41 PM   
wodin

I wouldn't want the UI expanded to much..only having a 19inch monitor means real estate is lacking..

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to Brindlebane)
Post #: 406
RE: Future Directions - Features - 7/17/2013 9:33:23 PM   
Templer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

quote:

quote:

I concretises.

Also, a customizable auto-pause - for example I would be interested almost exclusively in pausing on messages about air strikes.

And while we're at it, ability to customize auto-save (time and amount of files). I can't use the current autosave because it saves the game too often and in too many files.

A customizable auto-pause when reinforcements appear!
How many times I have already starve my reinforcements.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 407
RE: Future Directions - Features - 7/18/2013 12:06:29 PM   
Perturabo

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

I wouldn't want the UI expanded to much..only having a 19inch monitor means real estate is lacking..

Games usually do stuff like that in a separate options menu.

Without social solidarity manifested in the form of welfare state, people inhabiting one territory are a non-nation of mortal enemies engaged in competition for survival.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 408
RE: Future Directions - Features - 7/19/2013 1:19:12 PM   
wodin

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

quote:

quote:

I concretises.

A customizable auto-pause when reinforcements appear!
How many times I have already starve my reinforcements.

And auto pause for when you have an air strike...Graviteam Tactics has a substantial amount of options for pausing or slowing down the speed of the game at certain events..something along those lines would be great.

(in reply to Templer)
Post #: 409
RE: Future Directions - Features - 7/20/2013 8:45:59 AM   
ComradeP

I like the unpredictability of how battles will go, but I'd be interested in playing battles that start slightly earlier (by a few hours) than the ones in BftB. The reason is that in the current case, the opening can "feel" more like a puzzle than a battle when you have average quality units. My VG units tend to be a) cut down by the hundreds or b) make a clean penetration of Allied lines. I'm still new to the series in terms of how much time I've invested in it, but the above does seem to be the pattern.

Maybe victory points could also be balanced slightly towards inflicting casualties on the enemy being worth more points. I regularly find myself losing scenarios after destroying the enemy's capability to resist, just because I didn't capture a couple of villages on time (also because the capture system can be somewhat unforgiving as it is based on occupation time and not unit strength, the regimental mascot can theoretically capture a village as quickly as a battalion), villages that in the greater scheme of the Ardennes offensive would mostly be of limited value, whereas weakening the American or German forces could turn the tide in an entire sector.

The objectives themselves are not dynamic, so even though you can say "those were the historical objectives, so they should be captured at time X", keep in mind that the scenarios are not individual operations, but part of a larger offensive. If you destroy an enemy unit, it won't be there to defend objectives beyond those on the current map, so the timetable of the offensive might not be in jeopardy if you capture a village a day late.

Many wargames "forget" that, which leads to gamey last stands at objectives that would be largely irrelevant if you'd play a campaign game for that offensive. That, in turn, means I don't always have the feeling I'm participating in the offensive or the defense against that offensive.

Having slightly more time to position my forces and plan my own strategy would help me. Note that as the player's units would be further away from the enemy line at the start, this wouldn't give him a gamey advantage: the AI also has more time to prepare its defenses.

Just my 2 cents, however. I can see why people are very happy with the current state of the game/simulation, I can only comment on my own experience.

< Message edited by ComradeP -- 7/20/2013 8:47:31 AM >

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 410
RE: Future Directions - Features - 7/23/2013 12:38:31 AM   
Bletchley_Geek

quote:

ORIGINAL: ComradeP

I like the unpredictability of how battles will go, but I'd be interested in playing battles that start slightly earlier (by a few hours) than the ones in BftB. The reason is that in the current case, the opening can "feel" more like a puzzle than a battle when you have average quality units. My VG units tend to be a) cut down by the hundreds or b) make a clean penetration of Allied lines. I'm still new to the series in terms of how much time I've invested in it, but the above does seem to be the pattern.

Maybe victory points could also be balanced slightly towards inflicting casualties on the enemy being worth more points. I regularly find myself losing scenarios after destroying the enemy's capability to resist, just because I didn't capture a couple of villages on time (also because the capture system can be somewhat unforgiving as it is based on occupation time and not unit strength, the regimental mascot can theoretically capture a village as quickly as a battalion), villages that in the greater scheme of the Ardennes offensive would mostly be of limited value, whereas weakening the American or German forces could turn the tide in an entire sector.

The objectives themselves are not dynamic, so even though you can say "those were the historical objectives, so they should be captured at time X", keep in mind that the scenarios are not individual operations, but part of a larger offensive. If you destroy an enemy unit, it won't be there to defend objectives beyond those on the current map, so the timetable of the offensive might not be in jeopardy if you capture a village a day late.

Many wargames "forget" that, which leads to gamey last stands at objectives that would be largely irrelevant if you'd play a campaign game for that offensive. That, in turn, means I don't always have the feeling I'm participating in the offensive or the defense against that offensive.

Having slightly more time to position my forces and plan my own strategy would help me. Note that as the player's units would be further away from the enemy line at the start, this wouldn't give him a gamey advantage: the AI also has more time to prepare its defenses.

Just my 2 cents, however. I can see why people are very happy with the current state of the game/simulation, I can only comment on my own experience.

There's nothing in the engine that prevents you from designing such scenarios, or changing existing scenarios to account for those concerns (which are very valid), ComradeP. I'd suggest you to take a look at the ScenMaker - knowing where you come from - I think you'll find it quite user friendly.

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 411
RE: Future Directions - Features - 7/24/2013 4:28:46 AM   
GoodGuy

It would be desirable to detach long range scout elements as well as to consider radio ranges in the game.

Historically, if a unit had moved out of radio range, it had to return to a position within the radio range boundaries or dispatch a messenger (Krad), in order to get reports about sightings/enemy movement to HQ.

So, if the game engine would consider radio ranges, a unit getting out of radio range (on large maps) would neither be able to contact artillery units to call in arty bombardments, nor would it be able to call in air strikes or report enemy positions to HQ. That would also mean, that such unit would not be able to contribute to the intel, means enemy sightings/positions gathered by such unit would not show up on the map until it returned to the radio range, or until the time needed for a motorcycle-messenger (up to ~95-100 km/h) to get back to player controlled territory had passed.

It would be interesting to have another feature where a deep recon unit would "freeze", means where the commander (player) then would not be able to control the unit anymore, once it would leave the radio range boundaries, so that friendly intel would only report the "last known position". Corresponding to the aggro level (say min.) and route (say avoid enemy), such unit would then have to make it back to friendly lines on its own (using a tiny routine), reporting

• a) spotted enemy units/positions along its route
  • b) back to HQ (which would put it back under the player's control and which would reveal it's actual position )

only AFTER it had returned to player controlled territory or to the radio range boundary

The post, where I outline deployment and use of armored recon vehicles (ARV) and their dedicated long-range radio sub-versions ("Funkwagen") in the German Army, can be found here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3369206#3370214

< Message edited by GoodGuy -- 7/24/2013 5:01:25 AM >

"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006

(in reply to Bletchley_Geek)
Post #: 412
RE: Future Directions - Features - 7/24/2013 8:10:04 AM   
Templer

I would like to see, that you could optionally place the control bar on the right side of the screen.

As a right-handed I feel a command bar on the right side of the screen more comfortable - ergonomically simply more natural.

(in reply to GoodGuy)
Post #: 413
RE: Future Directions - Features - 7/24/2013 2:18:34 PM   
wodin

What would be cool is if someone went through all the requests and then made a poll. That way Dave will know the ones we all really want.

(in reply to Templer)
Post #: 414
RE: Future Directions - Features - 7/24/2013 3:55:44 PM   
DanO

Has anyone mentioned drawing on the map yet? Both freehand and text would be excellent. Throw in some NATO symbols and I'd be one happy staff officer. :)

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 415
RE: Future Directions - Features - 7/24/2013 7:13:52 PM   
dazkaz15

yeah, its my number one requested feature as well.
Take a look at Hearts of Iron web site to see how it can be done.
Dave has mentioned that they are looking into it for Command ops 2, in a previous post somewhere.
Planning graphics and zones of control I think he said.

Edit: The links are here;

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3306175&mpage=1&key=NAI�
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3310918

< Message edited by dazkaz15 -- 7/24/2013 7:23:06 PM >

(in reply to DanO)
Post #: 416
RE: Future Directions - Features - 7/24/2013 8:15:32 PM   
DanO

Thanks for the links!

However, the features listed seem to be mainly about additional layers provided by the engine, i.e. information overlays and graphics related to triggers and the like.

I think we both want to be able to do our own drawing, to draw out our plans on the map as though on a transparency.

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 417
RE: Future Directions - Features - 7/25/2013 12:31:23 AM   
jimcarravallah

quote:

ORIGINAL: DanO

Thanks for the links!

However, the features listed seem to be mainly about additional layers provided by the engine, i.e. information overlays and graphics related to triggers and the like.

I think we both want to be able to do our own drawing, to draw out our plans on the map as though on a transparency.

How about a utility to export the current map situation to an image (BMP, JPG) file that can be exported as a graphic for planning?

Instead of burdening the software with maintaining an "current" and a "planning" cache in real time, the "current" can be exported to a separate program for planning purposes.

It's little different from what goes on in a combat operations center where real time graphics are pinned to a wall and tactical / strategic specialists move pins around on the map to determine the best options for progressing from the last known deployment of friendly and enemy forces.

Take care,

jim

(in reply to DanO)
Post #: 418
RE: Future Directions - Features - 7/25/2013 1:55:06 AM   
Arjuna

It is our intention to head in this direction - ie allowing a free form draw layer. Not sure when we will get there, though.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

Post #: 419
RE: Future Directions - Features - 7/25/2013 9:11:37 AM   
DanO

quote:

How about a utility to export the current map situation to an image (BMP, JPG) file that can be exported as a graphic for planning?

That would also be great. I do sort of do this myself sometimes, via screenshots and a paint program, but it would be great if it was possible to do this in-game.

quote:

Instead of burdening the software with maintaining an "current" and a "planning" cache in real time, the "current" can be exported to a separate program for planning purposes.

It's little different from what goes on in a combat operations center where real time graphics are pinned to a wall and tactical / strategic specialists move pins around on the map to determine the best options for progressing from the last known deployment of friendly and enemy forces.

Hmm, I'm not sure I'm entirely clear as to what you mean here, sorry. Do you mean dynamic planning? I'm only talking about static drawing on a map, preferably with some predefined brushes (arrows, shading areas, NATO symbols) and text. The sort of thing I'd normally do in my head or on a bit of paper. It doesn't need to be anything more complex than that.

Post #: 420
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> RE: Future Directions - Features Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI