Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Future Directions - Data Content

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> RE: Future Directions - Data Content Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Future Directions - Data Content - 6/13/2010 11:30:12 AM   
Howard Mitchell

quote:

ORIGINAL: Franklin Nimitz

North Africa- already started with Cota, so there's some leg work already done.

Low unit density (in most cases), lots of mobile warfare, both sides get to attack and defend, relative parity. It's a good candidate.

+1

Also there is a considerable variety of nationalities involved - German and Italian, British, Commonwealth, with American and Vichy France if you cover Tunisia.

While the battles the British fight may differ in the widest possible ways, they invariably have two common characteristics – they are always fought uphill and always at the junction of two or more map sheets.

General Sir William Slim

(in reply to Franklin Nimitz)
Post #: 61
RE: Future Directions - Data Content - 6/13/2010 9:43:17 PM   
christophers

East Front or North Africa!

(in reply to Howard Mitchell)
Post #: 62
RE: Future Directions - Data Content - 6/13/2010 11:02:02 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Howard Mitchell

Also there is a considerable variety of nationalities involved - German and Italian, British, Commonwealth, with American and Vichy France if you cover Tunisia.

Testify, Howard, testify!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Prince of Eckmühl -- 6/13/2010 11:04:49 PM >

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to Howard Mitchell)
Post #: 63
RE: Future Directions - Data Content - 6/14/2010 2:43:27 AM   
hank

Since MG is getting attention, my next choice would be eastern front

With the limitations of the engine, could Kursk be subdivided into managable scenarios?
The three areas in particular I would like to see is on the south front of Kursk at 1) the 1st SS Pz Korp's drive to Prokhorovka as one scenario ... 2) the area east of Belgorod as another and 3) the area around Grossdeutchland Div ... (excuse lack of specifics I'm going from memory). A similar breakdown could be made on the North front but IMHO the most interesting action was in the south.

Kharkhov would be a nice place to build scenarios since one map set could be used for many battles spanning a couple of years. Actually maps for the regions around Kursk south through Belgorod, Kharkhov, and Izyum could get a lot of action.

Also the areas around Vitebsk, Orsha, Mogelev, Smolensk could be good maps for scnearios.

My 2 pennies

< Message edited by hank -- 6/14/2010 2:44:24 AM >

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 64
RE: Future Directions - Data Content - 6/14/2010 9:53:59 AM   
wodin

East Front really is a must for the next title...like I've said before many times

Two tiles one covering an operation at the begining of the war another covering an operation from 43 onwards...then we have the right combat doctrines as the russians would need one for the first two years and another for the last two....after that us lot can do the rest as user made scenarios..

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to hank)
Post #: 65
RE: Future Directions - Data Content - 6/15/2010 9:04:05 AM   
Agent S

@Prince of Eckmühl: How great to see that box top again.
I'm hoping your modding this!

"Great men are forged in fire, it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flame. Whatever the cost." -Dr. Who (#1)

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 66
RE: Future Directions - Data Content - 6/16/2010 10:15:46 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Agent S

@Prince of Eckmühl: How great to see that box top again.
I'm hoping your modding this!

I'd love to update my work to the BftB standard because I could correct all matter of issues using the estab editor. However, in the absence of the pre-existing estabs for the 1941 Axis and Allies, I'm not sure it's doable. I'm not sure that I've got that kind of mileage left on me.

(in reply to Agent S)
Post #: 67
RE: Future Directions - Data Content - 6/16/2010 11:31:40 PM   
Tophat1812

Establishment for french forces 1944-45 so various southern France and 6th Army group scenarios can be made.Knock 1944-45 in the west out since you have the base engine and BftB already here. if you start down the eastern front highway we won't hear from you for another year or two.

Post #: 68
RE: Future Directions - Data Content - 6/17/2010 4:43:11 AM   
Arjuna

PoE,

So if we did a COTA expansion pack, you'd be happy then?

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Tophat1812)
Post #: 69
RE: Future Directions - Data Content - 6/17/2010 6:01:27 AM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

PoE,

So if we did a COTA expansion pack, you'd be happy then?

Yeah, but I don't know about anyone else. Is a "COTA expansion pack" a straight port of the COTA data over to the new game? I'd be mighty pleased with that as it would allow me to do my crazed-panzer-on-the-loose-now-thwart-them routine all operation long. Seriously, there's very little wrong with the COTA estabs, as is, that I can't fix with a proper editor. But, other folks may want more. They may want you to flesh-out the estabs with additional nationalities and equipment, France and/or Russia, for instance. As you are no doubt aware, that's where the heavy-lifting comes in.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 70
RE: Future Directions - Data Content - 6/17/2010 7:16:27 AM   
wodin

I'd pay for the HTTR scenarios but I wouldn't buy the CotA ones...I find the upgrades since HTTR make it viable but maybe not so much with CotA...for me the UI improvements going from HTTR to CotA really helped me play the game.

If your going to upgrade previous scenarios HTTR has my vote.

by the way PoE....I apologise...strange days

Post #: 71
RE: Future Directions - Data Content - 6/17/2010 10:55:50 AM   
Arjuna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prince of Eckmühl
Yeah, but I don't know about anyone else. Is a "COTA expansion pack" a straight port of the COTA data over to the new game? I'd be mighty pleased with that as it would allow me to do my crazed-panzer-on-the-loose-now-thwart-them routine all operation long. Seriously, there's very little wrong with the COTA estabs, as is, that I can't fix with a proper editor. But, other folks may want more. They may want you to flesh-out the estabs with additional nationalities and equipment, France and/or Russia, for instance. As you are no doubt aware, that's where the heavy-lifting comes in.

I'm not sure how much work is involved yet. I need to take a closer look. One thing for sure is that the data structures have changed but the differences are no where as great as from HTTR to BFTB. I'm hoping we can write a conversion for the estabs even if the scenarios have to redone from scratch like with HTTR.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

Post #: 72
RE: Future Directions - Data Content - 6/17/2010 11:08:31 AM   
koontz

Would Love to see this engine on the Israel - Arab conflict.

Amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics.

"All warfare is based on deception. There is no place where espionage is not used. Offer the enemy bait to lure him."

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 73
RE: Future Directions - Data Content - 6/17/2010 11:48:57 AM   
Foolio

Number one for me would be the HTTR game with the BftB engine ; followed by North Afrikan campaign.

(in reply to Greup)
Post #: 74
RE: Future Directions - Data Content - 6/17/2010 1:57:01 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

I'm not sure how much work is involved yet. I need to take a closer look. One thing for sure is that the data structures have changed but the differences are no where as great as from HTTR to BFTB. I'm hoping we can write a conversion for the estabs even if the scenarios have to redone from scratch like with HTTR.

I'd deeply appreciate anything that you can do in this regard. And I'd note that its more than I ever would have expected for a game that was released a while back.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 75
RE: Future Directions - Data Content - 6/17/2010 3:46:18 PM   
GoodGuy

quote:

ORIGINAL: hank

The three areas in particular I would like to see is on the south front of Kursk at.....

You mean the southern pincer (<- attempt) of Operation Zitadelle. That's an interesting battleground for this engine, indeed, especially since the southern units managed to gain quite some ground, as the (massive) soviet air (to ground) attacks were widely unsuccessful, unlike the German Luftwaffe, which kept coordinating with their ground forces. This level of air support was missing in the North, and, in turn, the number of Russian air sorties in the North was astounding (they expected the bulk of the German armor to come from the North.

In the South, the German's massed artillery missions and experience of the line units were also notable contributing factors. I'd like to see this covered, too, but the engine needs to be tuned to handle tank warfare more accurately, imho.

quote:

Also the areas around Vitebsk, Orsha, Mogelev, Smolensk could be good maps for scnearios.

The Russian landings at Kerch/Theodosia (Crimea campaign -> Sevastopol) would also be interesting. The initial setup was like 6 Russian divisions (plus the Marines at Theodosia) which were met by 1 German division and a couple of smaller units (Rumanians?), that were tasked with securing the coast lines, initially, before German tank units were able to intervene.

< Message edited by GoodGuy -- 6/17/2010 3:53:09 PM >

"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006

(in reply to hank)
Post #: 76
RE: Future Directions - Data Content - 6/17/2010 5:28:28 PM   
hank

" ... but the engine needs to be tuned to handle tank warfare more accurately, imho. ... "

Yes I agree, the armored combat engines really need work.  There's a whole thread on this so enough said here except I hope they give it a good thorough rework.  When large groups off armor confront each other I want the results to be realistic.

(in reply to GoodGuy)
Post #: 77
RE: Future Directions - Data Content - 6/19/2010 3:13:19 AM   
SGT Rice

Any coverage of the East Front would be a winner; I'd certainly buy it. However, for something a little outside the box ...

... the BftB engine and scale would be a good match for Dien Bien Phu; one of the most fascinating battles in history. There's never been a great wargame treatment of the French vs the Viet Minh; I think you guys have the tools to be the first.

GG A World Divided Playtester

(in reply to hank)
Post #: 78
RE: Future Directions - Data Content - 6/19/2010 2:55:47 PM   
Swamp_Yankee

Same timeframe as the first two V4V games, D-Day Utah Beach and Gold Juno Sword would be awesome. After that the Ostfront.

< Message edited by Swamp_Yankee -- 6/19/2010 2:56:15 PM >

"The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me!"

(in reply to kipanderson)
Post #: 79
RE: Future Directions - Data Content - 6/19/2010 4:56:18 PM   
Nick Schieben

With a COTA expansion pack I would think several other nationalities and estabs for the 1940-42 timeframe would be opened up and could be used as add-ons and by keen scenario builders. That definitely gets my vote, I'd buy it in a pinch and it is probably the shortest path to getting a refresh of something tried and true into the BFTB system while hopefully opening the floodgates to some new ideas.

(in reply to Swamp_Yankee)
Post #: 80
RE: Future Directions - Data Content - 6/21/2010 1:31:36 PM   
wodin

How about releasing OOB's for a few pounds a piece....anyone think this would sell? Or OOB's and map packs?

(in reply to Nick Schieben)
Post #: 81
RE: Future Directions - Data Content - 6/26/2010 1:00:45 AM   
Nikolaj

I'm very interested in an expansion pack with HTTR scenarios. I'd be interested in COTA scenarios, too.

After that, I'd like something involving Fall Gelb or North Africa.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 82
RE: Future Directions - Data Content - 6/26/2010 11:07:59 AM   
Count Sessine

Definitely Eastern Front... I'd like to see the battle for Velikiye Luki, and many others, recreated in this engine.

No more COTA, please, been there, done that :-)

(in reply to Nikolaj)
Post #: 83
RE: Future Directions - Data Content - 6/30/2010 12:53:25 AM   
hank

I'm not sure this is the right thread but I noticed the E&S information for Tank units does not have main gun performance. (ie. muzzle velocity, trajectory, penetration characteristics, Range, etc.) ... This is critical information for a tank. Its available on-line in many places. It would be nice to compare the difference between a Tiger or Panther's main armament specs vs a Sherman Firefly (or 76mm) to determine whether you have the numbers to go head to head.

(in reply to Count Sessine)
Post #: 84
RE: Future Directions - Data Content - 7/1/2010 8:27:07 PM   
kipanderson

Hi,

quote:

“No more COTA, please, been there, done that :-)”

And that really goes for the entire Western Front....

Time for the Eastern Front for sure....

All the best,
Kip.

(in reply to Greup)
Post #: 85
RE: Future Directions - Data Content - 7/13/2010 1:06:56 PM   
Templer

I am glad to hear that the scenarios from HTTR will be soon available for BftB.
The scenarios of HTTR are the ones that I am interest the most.

If other scenarios are offered for the East Front, I really hope that they will be numerous.
I will never do, and I never did, playing on the side of the Russians.

(in reply to kipanderson)
Post #: 86
RE: Future Directions - Data Content - 7/29/2010 4:35:07 AM   
Templer

How about a "race to Berlin" scenario?

That would be a fresh scenario. One that isn´t often designed by game developers.

Would that be an option?
Would that be feasible?

(in reply to Templer)
Post #: 87
RE: Future Directions - Data Content - 7/29/2010 7:42:28 AM   
Arjuna

We couldn't handle a three sided version - ie Germans, Soviets and the Western Allies - as the engine only supports two sides at the moment. That would need multiple commands and sides to implement. As a hypothetical scenario, it might be interesting though.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Templer)
Post #: 88
RE: Future Directions - Data Content - 7/29/2010 8:08:18 PM   
Templer

This is really very sad.

The more I think about it, the better a Berlin scenario would please me.
Even on a hypothetical scenario, I would look forward to.

Quote from a German officer, May 1945:
"Berlin as frontier city is immensely practical.
You may move from the eastern front directly on the western Front by subway. "

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 89
RE: Future Directions - Data Content - 7/30/2010 2:33:30 AM   
simovitch

I wouldn't say it isn't practical at all, you just couldn't have a 3 player team at the same time.

Just add the Russian estabs to the British and US estabs and go for it!

simovitch

(in reply to Templer)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> RE: Future Directions - Data Content Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI