I need a Aussie proof-reader

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Feinder

I need a Aussie proof-reader

Post by Feinder »

Somebody from Oz please to pipe up. I need to you proof-read something for me, and edit it so that it's "in Australian" (as opposed to some guy from Florida trying to write a letter like an Australian).

Thanks,
-F-
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

Misconduct

RE: I need a Aussie proof-reader

Post by Misconduct »

Hey now i'm offended mate! er wait...
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

The same thing happened to me, I swear!

[:D]
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Feinder

Somebody from Oz please to pipe up. I need to you proof-read something for me, and edit it so that it's "in Australian" (as opposed to some guy from Florida trying to write a letter like an Australian).

Thanks,
-F-

I did that for a novel I wrote about ten years ago. I had an Aussie friend through Usenet, a reservist in the army. Sent the scenes by e-mail, let him mark them up. Not just slang and idiom, but cultural norms in the Australian Army. I had a book of Aussie slang, but it took a native to get me things like "Corporal Meyer. Not a question, a comment, hey? I grew up a bit north of your op area there. Pop gave it a burl as a cocky, but he never made a crop. No water. The bush there is uglier than a hat full of armpits, pretty rough for a Yank galah."

I have no idea if that works for a native (maybe my helper was pulling my leg . . .), but US readers liked it. Did the same thing for a skydiving scene, some Brit-speak, prison slang, etc.
The Moose
Feinder

Post by Feinder »

That's what I'm trying to accomplish. My AAR is basically a letter home for each day of the AAR, from various persons across the theater. From the letters, readers of the AAR will get glimpses into the events occurring in-game.

I've drafted a letter that will have be written by a RAAF pilot. But I want it to sound authentic. I've written the "American" version of the letter, and I'd like an send it to an Australian to give me an Australian version of it (and I'll end up posting the Australian version).

-F-
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

Knavey

Post by Knavey »

Just write it upside down and you will be fine(der). Hehehe. I am too clever sometimes. [:D]
x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"
jcjordan

Post by jcjordan »

Sorry but the censors would black out many parts of the letter home [:'(][:D]
Wirraway_Ace

Post by Wirraway_Ace »

Sorry, I spend too much time in the US.  I could help with Aussie-Texan or OZTex, but that is a pretty niche field.
Knavey

Post by Knavey »

Try sending a pm to Raverdave. Pretty sure he is from down under.
x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
jazman

Post by jazman »

We can get drunk in America, too, you know.
BS, MS, PhD, WitP:AE, WitE, WitW
aspqrz02

Post by aspqrz02 »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

Thanks,
-F-

I did that for a novel I wrote about ten years ago. I had an Aussie friend through Usenet, a reservist in the army. Sent the scenes by e-mail, let him mark them up. Not just slang and idiom, but cultural norms in the Australian Army. I had a book of Aussie slang, but it took a native to get me things like "Corporal Meyer. Not a question, a comment, hey? I grew up a bit north of your op area there. Pop gave it a burl as a cocky, but he never made a crop. No water. The bush there is uglier than a hat full of armpits, pretty rough for a Yank galah."

I have no idea if that works for a native (maybe my helper was pulling my leg . . .), but US readers liked it. Did the same thing for a skydiving scene, some Brit-speak, prison slang, etc.

No-one really speaks like that ... you might use *one* of the phrases, but some of them are pretty obscure. "Burl", "Cocky", "Bush" and "Galah" are the most likely ...

Of course, in an extended conversation you might see all of them used, but, seriously, even then its unlikely ... Australian Standard English is really not all that colourful in actual use ... certainly in the big cities and, unusually, Australia has always been demographically dominated by the big city populations, especially Sydney and Melbourne.

You're much likelier to get things like the diminutive "-zzies" or "-ssies" ... so "prezzies" for "presents" or "cossies" for "swimming costumes" ("budgie smuggler" is known, but, really, almost never used except as a sort of joke) ... and always pronounce "Aussie" as "Ozzie" rather than "Ossie" ... nothing annoys us more [X(]

Apart from that, the sorts of things that are really different are mainstream idiom rather than slang ... so, for example ...

Footpath not Sidewalk
Ground Floor not First Floor
Chips rather than French Fries
Biscuits rather than Cookies
Toilet rather than Bathroom
Hung rather than Hanged
Boot rather than Trunk (car)
Bonnet rather than Hood (car)

... and more. Note: Some of these are in the process of change, mostly due to the influence of US TV shows on local television, but the differences were accurate for WW2.

There are some regional idioms as well, but, again, relatively few ... the only one I can recall offhand is that in NSW and Queensland, and, I think, Victoria, what you may call "Lunch meat" in the US is "Devon", yet in South Australia (lotsa German settlement there in the Barossa in the late 19th century) it was "Fritz" ...

Unlike the US and UK (as I understand it) there is almost no regional variations in pronunciation ... though there are a few ... for example, in Sydney we call the town to the north (Newcastle) "Newcarssle" while in Queensland it was often (and may still be, haven't been there for a while) "Newcassle" ... unless you're Prof. Enry Iggins II you would find it impossible to tell where an Aussie is from, specifically, by their pronunciation.

Phil

Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon; Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)
----------------------------------------------
Email: aspqrz@tpg.com.au
jrcar

Post by jrcar »

And WW2 written Australian, in particular by an officer, would be very "English".

I'm happy to give it a look over though if you PM it to me.

Cheers

Rob
AE BETA Breaker
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

If jrcar cant stalk strine proper send me a pm.

If you want to do it all yourself, look at the Australian War Memorial site where they have personal diaries online

http://www.awm.gov.au/search/collections/
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
erstad

Post by erstad »

ORIGINAL: Knavey

Just write it upside down and you will be fine(der). Hehehe. I am too clever sometimes.
Out of curiosity, did Steve ever drop you on your head as a child? Just asking... [:D]
Wirraway_Ace

Post by Wirraway_Ace »

ORIGINAL: JeffK

If jrcar cant stalk strine proper send me a pm.

If you want to do it all yourself, look at the Australian War Memorial site where they have personal diaries online

http://www.awm.gov.au/search/collections/

Nice source material! Anybody have any good examples of RAN, RN or USN operations orders of the era.
Knavey

Post by Knavey »

ORIGINAL: erstad
ORIGINAL: Knavey

Just write it upside down and you will be fine(der). Hehehe. I am too clever sometimes.
Out of curiosity, did Steve ever drop you on your head as a child? Just asking... [:D]
.?

Hehehe, I've always been older and bigger than him. He's smarter though...sometimes.
x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
Feinder

Post by Feinder »

Thanks for the feed-back guys. Now to get caught-up with the AAR... (should be cauht up by end of weekend).

-F-

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”