Matrix Games Forums

Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer Corps
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Is it worth the price?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> RE: Is it worth the price? Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Is it worth the price? - 6/12/2010 1:13:04 PM   
cmurphy625

Game Looks outstanding...

Price is too high

Singing to the Rolling Stones Song of the same name "I'm just sitting on a fence"

Should be a poll to see how many Fence Sitters still up there.. out of curiosity, the temptation is just too strong I guess..

BTW since this game came out I bought HOI III Semper Fi.. 20 bucks.. guitar Pro 5 50 bucks.. War in the Pacific AE 50 buckes (ebay)... it's that magic number..

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 601
RE: Is it worth the price? - 6/12/2010 1:16:06 PM   
Adam Parker

I've taken abhorrence at the poster from day 1.

And I've seen a poster named Bill (same guy? Who knows? Probably not) contribute to the closure of the entire forums at Computer Games Online years and years and years ago. Dead. Gone. Once the best forums around.

I do take notice of people's political opinions on forums I visit. I do look for trolling too. And I do look for good forum administration. Erik's been pretty good up till now.

Yeah I took personal offense at the guy's post here and I've never forgotten that post prior either.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 602
RE: Is it worth the price? - 6/12/2010 1:28:40 PM   
daft

quote:

ORIGINAL: billyjj

Wodin.. you are right, this forum would be full of "I feel ripped off" threads, I still find it odd that not a single person has anything negative to say about the game. 

I think I might know why. First, it really is a bloody brilliant game. Hands down one of the best I've played. Secondly, the price is steep, or at least above what most mainstream games sell for these days. I had access to the game since I was involved in beta testing it, yet I decided to fork up up for the retail version for two reasons. I knew it was good since I had done some testing, but I felt it was not fair to play this game for free since I didn't contribute as much to the testing process as some of the other tester did. So I happily paid because I knew it was a good game. I think that with the price where it is, people are taking more responsibility in doing some research before they fork up. Instead of going on impulse, they read, watch the published tutorial movies and listen to what other users and reviewers have to say about the game. That is the chief reason why you don't see much complaining about value for money and such. The majority of buyers have taken responsibility for their spending and actually made informed decisions when they finally buckled and bought it. It's not denial, it is just a case of doing more research for this title compared to a random impulse buy of a game that looks "kinda cool" and sell for a lower price.

(in reply to billyjj)
Post #: 603
RE: Is it worth the price? - 6/12/2010 2:40:04 PM   
Treale

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker

quote:

Why is it happening with this game? Well because they all know they paid too much for the game and not a single one of them has the BALLS to say they think it wasn't worth the money.

This from the guy who wrote in the thread "Whose to Blame for Starting WW1?:

quote:

The Jews started WW1 in order to financially ruin Europe so that they could grab control, the plan pretty much worked and this is what pissed of the Germans and gave rise to Hitler, the so called "stab in the back" at the peace negotiations. Sorry if this sounds like anti-semitism but its the truth.

Why don't you take your balls to another website?

Do what I did. I pushed the "Green" button. Bye Bye Billyjj!!!

Tony

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 604
RE: Is it worth the price? - 6/12/2010 4:13:43 PM   
Ron

The polemics are staggering lol! I guess some have an issue with even contemplating apples=apples and prefer apples= Nike shoes or concerts or dinner instead. :) For the record I stated CotA was too expensive for the incremental improvements - all imo of course, however I did buy it, like every other from Panther, to support the developer and the engine. Not now, not at $80, and if I stand alone so be it, for me it is a question of principle and price/value.

< Message edited by Ron -- 6/12/2010 4:14:16 PM >

(in reply to Treale)
Post #: 605
RE: Is it worth the price? - 6/12/2010 5:41:12 PM   
christophers

Well, now that I'm in, I'm in.

I don't understand all of the whining about the price. Panther and Matrix obviously have decided that this game is "special" and the quality and work put into to it deserve a "special" price. I am surprised by the level of immaturity/whining about a game from a game designer and a company which has rarely served us wrong.

The game is worth what it is because that's what it's worth. There is no disparity between value and price because the game is worth it, more than worth it. Quite honestly, I would have paid more.

< Message edited by christophers -- 6/12/2010 5:42:57 PM >

(in reply to Ron)
Post #: 606
RE: Is it worth the price? - 6/12/2010 7:19:41 PM   
Treale

quote:

ORIGINAL: christophers

Well, now that I'm in, I'm in.

I don't understand all of the whining about the price. Panther and Matrix obviously have decided that this game is "special" and the quality and work put into to it deserve a "special" price. I am surprised by the level of immaturity/whining about a game from a game designer and a company which has rarely served us wrong.

The game is worth what it is because that's what it's worth. There is no disparity between value and price because the game is worth it, more than worth it. Quite honestly, I would have paid more.

Now let's not get carried away!

How long did it take you to download it? I'm getting ready to pull the "Trigger"!!!

Tony

(in reply to christophers)
Post #: 607
RE: Is it worth the price? - 6/12/2010 7:26:18 PM   
Jevhaddah

I have HTTR and COTA and have had lots of pleasure from both... but I just can't afford this game at this price...

Cheers

Jev

I am really quite mad yoo know!

(in reply to Treale)
Post #: 608
RE: Is it worth the price? - 6/12/2010 8:14:08 PM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jevhaddah

I have HTTR and COTA and have had lots of pleasure from both... but I just can't afford this game at this price...

Cheers

Jev

I can understand this....but it really is worth either 1. Don't buy those next two games over however long that would be and save the money to buy this or 2. Ask for it for an Xmas present.

I would rather play this than anyother wargame in my collection at the moment (CMSF with its modules are joint top though and you add them up it comes to about the same price). Especially any operational wargame....this is giving more far more fun than any other operational wargame I've played.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to Jevhaddah)
Post #: 609
RE: Is it worth the price? - 6/12/2010 8:17:56 PM   
bretg80

Come on guys, let's start a new thread. This thread is old news. It's a good and game and price shouldn't be an issue anymore. If we're going to take pot shots at each other, let's create a pot shots thread and go at it.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 610
RE: Is it worth the price? - 6/12/2010 10:08:11 PM   
MajFrankBurns

It would be better if we just passed around the pot and then we'd all get mellow and Wodin could start a round of Kum by yah my lord Kum by yah. lmao

(in reply to bretg80)
Post #: 611
RE: Is it worth the price? - 6/12/2010 10:12:41 PM   
blastpop

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jevhaddah

Cheers

Jev

I've been playing COTA and having a good bit of fun with it. So that is the current low cost alternative- already paid for.

(in reply to Jevhaddah)
Post #: 612
RE: Is it worth the price? - 6/13/2010 12:28:41 AM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: MajFrankBurns

It would be better if we just passed around the pot and then we'd all get mellow and Wodin could start a round of Kum by yah my lord Kum by yah. lmao

Take a drag or two thats what you do...

yeah man....lets get groovy and all...

(in reply to MajFrankBurns)
Post #: 613
RE: Is it worth the price? - 6/13/2010 1:54:15 AM   
billyjj

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treale

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker

quote:

Why is it happening with this game? Well because they all know they paid too much for the game and not a single one of them has the BALLS to say they think it wasn't worth the money.

This from the guy who wrote in the thread "Whose to Blame for Starting WW1?:

quote:

The Jews started WW1 in order to financially ruin Europe so that they could grab control, the plan pretty much worked and this is what pissed of the Germans and gave rise to Hitler, the so called "stab in the back" at the peace negotiations. Sorry if this sounds like anti-semitism but its the truth.

Why don't you take your balls to another website?

Do what I did. I pushed the "Green" button. Bye Bye Billyjj!!!

For someone that has been ignoring me for weeks you are really spending a lot of time reading through old threads.... Guess what no one cares, I could create a new account and make you my best friend but why bother, get a life you loser. This is a price thread about battle of the bulge not some personal gripe.

(in reply to Treale)
Post #: 614
RE: Is it worth the price? - 6/13/2010 11:17:04 AM   
MajFrankBurns

Has the price changed yet?

(in reply to billyjj)
Post #: 615
RE: Is it worth the price? - 6/13/2010 11:39:43 AM   
JudgeDredd

I'm pretty sure Dave said in a post that the price wasn't coming down

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to MajFrankBurns)
Post #: 616
RE: Is it worth the price? - 6/13/2010 12:22:14 PM   
wodin

Major is taking the mick I believe JD....

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 617
RE: Price? - 6/13/2010 5:15:22 PM   
kipanderson

Hi,

I have not posted before about price but now I have had the game for some days and got to know it I thought I would have my say.

My first reaction on seeing the price was for my jaw to drop.... near £70 for a wargame is new territory. I did hold off buying it for some days as a result but then jumped in.

Now I have played the game, read the four long detailed manuals, built some scenarios I do think it is worth the money when compared to what you get from other wargames. Compared to what you get from all other wargames, and I have played all the serious or semi serious ones, it is very good value. Still a huge amount of money, but you get a huge amount for your money.

In my view, and each to their own, only Combat Mission and Scourge of War can hold their own with BftB. And those two can hold their own, but only those two.

When you think what you pay £30 for in wargames, for BftB at £70 you get twice, three times as much pound for pound.

All the best,
Kip.

(in reply to Punk Reaper)
Post #: 618
RE: Price? - 6/13/2010 8:06:16 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: kipanderson

Hi,

I have not posted before about price but now I have had the game for some days and got to know it I thought I would have my say.

My first reaction on seeing the price was for my jaw to drop.... near £70 for a wargame is new territory. I did hold off buying it for some days as a result but then jumped in.

Now I have played the game, read the four long detailed manuals, built some scenarios I do think it is worth the money when compared to what you get from other wargames. Compared to what you get from all other wargames, and I have played all the serious or semi serious ones, it is very good value. Still a huge amount of money, but you get a huge amount for your money.

In my view, and each to their own, only Combat Mission and Scourge of War can hold their own with BftB. And those two can hold their own, but only those two.

When you think what you pay £30 for in wargames, for BftB at £70 you get twice, three times as much pound for pound.

All the best,
Kip.

I know

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to kipanderson)
Post #: 619
RE: Price? - 6/13/2010 9:51:26 PM   
Tophat1812

Just made the purchase,now I need to get through the family visits so i can return home to download it.Must say this is a good thread as a  motivator to buy.It irks me that so many want to tell others how to run a business and failing that have to go through mental gymnastics to denigrate a fine work to influence other people.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 620
RE: Price? - 6/14/2010 2:02:12 AM   
Nick Schieben

I bought a $20 game a few months ago that I managed to squeeze about 10 minutes of enjoyment out of before I shelved it. Kind of like the $50 wonder I got a couple of years ago which almost killed me through boredom. That was a bad gamble. I got BFTB without any reservations because I really enjoyed the previous ones and knew I wouldn't be disappointed. I'm not, and I'm already getting great mileage out of it. It's all relative.

(in reply to Tophat1812)
Post #: 621
RE: Price? - 6/14/2010 2:32:21 AM   
V22 Osprey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nick Schieben

I bought a $20 game a few months ago that I managed to squeeze about 10 minutes of enjoyment out of before I shelved it. Kind of like the $50 wonder I got a couple of years ago which almost killed me through boredom. That was a bad gamble. I got BFTB without any reservations because I really enjoyed the previous ones and knew I wouldn't be disappointed. I'm not, and I'm already getting great mileage out of it. It's all relative.

But that's you. I(and I'm sure plenty of other members on this forums) have had plenty of games 20 bucks and under that have given hundreds of gameplay hours. Price has nothing to do with quality and how fun it is.(well, sometimes price does, but NOT when it comes to fun factor) Higher price doesn't mean it will give you more enjoyment...it's just a higher price. I'm not complaining about the price of this game, your argument just didn't make any sense.

< Message edited by V22 Osprey -- 6/14/2010 2:34:24 AM >

Art by rogueusmc.

(in reply to Nick Schieben)
Post #: 622
RE: Price? - 6/14/2010 5:01:49 AM   
Nick Schieben

Eh - what argument is that? I thought I was just commenting about some of the crap (IMHO) I've had the misfortune of wasting my time and money on within the context of some of the rhetoric I've seen in this thread. People are whingeing about the price without even trying BFTB so I'm curious as to what the point of reference is for them. If you're happy haunting the bargain bins or just finding these amazing budget-priced but oodles-of-fun gems more power to you, and any of the "plenty of other members" who make these lucky finds. Like I paraphrased - it's all relative. Just curious - do you have BFTB?

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 623
RE: Price? - 6/14/2010 5:13:56 AM   
V22 Osprey

I don't have BftB, I was just making a point that yea you have picked up bad games for $20, but I was making a point that there are PLENTY of games under $20 that will offer just as much(or even more) enjoyment as BftB. I was just merely pointing out the fact the Price doesn't mean how much fun you will have. Sorry for the misunderstanding, it's just that in your post you made it seem like that BftB's price tag is what made it automatically a good game, and that a $20 game can't have just as much enjoyment and fun factor as s $100 game.

Art by rogueusmc.

(in reply to Nick Schieben)
Post #: 624
RE: Price? - 6/14/2010 7:33:06 AM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey
I don't have BftB, I was just making a point that yea you have picked up bad games for $20, but I was making a point that there are PLENTY of games under $20 that will offer just as much(or even more) enjoyment as BftB.

That rather depends on what you enjoy.

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 625
RE: Price? - 6/14/2010 7:47:25 AM   
NavalNewZ

Price is relevant and comment worthy, in the same way that bugs, and game features are. In this case, the game in question is more expensive than the vast majority of comparable games out there. As such, it requires justification. Please don't disparage this thread simply because you bought the game and decided that it is 'ok'. I would suggest that the best solution to this issue is for people to explain why they think the game is good, rather than label some posters here as whingers. The publishers have suggested that they won't 'fix' this problem (price), so it remains to be seen if its worth purchasing...

< Message edited by NavalNewZ -- 6/14/2010 7:48:07 AM >

..there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 626
RE: Price? - 6/14/2010 8:13:19 AM   
wodin

I was shocked at the price...I have since got the game like a few who where out at the begining and like them I do feel the game is worth the outlay IF you enjoy wargames...

See my holey moley thread for an outburst by myself on the game...

(in reply to NavalNewZ)
Post #: 627
RE: Price? - 6/14/2010 3:00:33 PM   
Steely Glint

quote:

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey

But that's you. I(and I'm sure plenty of other members on this forums) have had plenty of games 20 bucks and under that have given hundreds of gameplay hours. Price has nothing to do with quality and how fun it is.(well, sometimes price does, but NOT when it comes to fun factor) Higher price doesn't mean it will give you more enjoyment...it's just a higher price.

Just to pick one example, I paid 20 bucks for Arsenal of Democracy and it has given me hundreds of hours of fun gameplay.

I have never said that I think this game is a bad game. I just find it way overpriced and accordingly will not buy it. Bear in mind that when you pay this much for a game, a light goes off in the game company's head about how much more they can get away with now when pricing games. Do you really want to be supporting higher prices in a time of economic crisis and downturn? You shouldn't. It's really not in your self-interest.

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 628
RE: Price? - You get what you pay for!! - 6/14/2010 3:03:29 PM   
Steely Glint

quote:

ORIGINAL: bretg80

What if you were one of the developers. How would you feel?

I'd read this thread and then say "Damn, we seriously overpriced the game."

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

(in reply to bretg80)
Post #: 629
RE: Price? - 6/14/2010 3:28:55 PM   
DanO

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steely Glint
I have never said that I think this game is a bad game. I just find it way overpriced and accordingly will not buy it.

Fair enough. I don't find it overpriced and bought it.

quote:

Bear in mind that when you pay this much for a game, a light goes off in the game company's head about how much more they can get away with now when pricing games. Do you really want to be supporting higher prices in a time of economic crisis and downturn? You shouldn't. It's really not in your self-interest.

They priced their game to what they think it is worth and what they need to charge to recoup their costs. I evaluated that price and decided I'd pay it; it didn't seem unreasonable for a game system that is light years ahead - in my opinion - than any other system I've played. £65 is really not a lot of money for the amount of enjoyment I get back. I couldn't care less if they now price all their games this way; if they're good enough I'll pay the price again.

You're correct in that most games wouldn't be worth £65. This one is to me. Not all games need be priced the same.

(in reply to Steely Glint)
Post #: 630
Page:   <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> RE: Is it worth the price? Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI