Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Price? - You get what you pay for!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> RE: Price? - You get what you pay for!! Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Price? - You get what you pay for!! - 6/6/2010 5:57:50 PM   
DanO

I didn't say anyone disliked the game.

OK, maybe wrong is the incorrect term. I'm more just bored with the "I can get more for less with X" or "X has bigger scope", when that's all very well and all, but I happen to think X is a bit rubbish and not at all the sort of game I like, never mind the fact those comparisons are entirely missing the point, but I don't bother going into X's forum and moaning about it, especially when I don't own the game!

Maybe I'm imagining all the pointless negativity. I don't know. I can't be bothered to trawl through 500 posts to try and find some examples.

Oh and £65 isn't a lot of money. There, I said it.

< Message edited by DanO -- 6/6/2010 5:58:25 PM >

(in reply to Knavery)
Post #: 511
RE: Price? - You get what you pay for!! - 6/6/2010 6:40:04 PM   
Treale

I just bought two ink cartridges for my printer. $84.01!!!!!

Tony

(in reply to DanO)
Post #: 512
RE: Price? - You get what you pay for!! - 6/6/2010 6:46:52 PM   
cmurphy625

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treale

NOW THAT'S A REAL RIP OFF!!!... I bought a Laser printer for the wife (she's school teacher), she wanted to know why I was wasting money on another printer.. In the end we save a lot of money.... Ink Cartridges are the companies cash cow.. they'd give you the printer for free, if they can guarantee you'll waste the money on the cartridges!

(in reply to Treale)
Post #: 513
RE: Price? - You get what you pay for!! - 6/6/2010 7:00:05 PM   
Treale

quote:

ORIGINAL: cmurphy625

quote:

NOW THAT'S A REAL RIP OFF!!!... I bought a Laser printer for the wife (she's school teacher), she wanted to know why I was wasting money on another printer.. In the end we save a lot of money.... Ink Cartridges are the companies cash cow.. they'd give you the printer for free, if they can guarantee you'll waste the money on the cartridges!

Now that argument makes sense

Tony

(in reply to cmurphy625)
Post #: 514
RE: Price? - You get what you pay for!! - 6/6/2010 7:32:18 PM   
AndrewKurtz

IMHO, a focus should be on making the manuals highly usable on ereaders. If I can read the manually easily on my Nook, I'd never want to print it. But, for example, the WWI manual ends up with tables that don't format properly etc, heading out of place etc, meaning I need to refer to another method of reading them to be able to completely use them.

(in reply to Treale)
Post #: 515
RE: Price? - You get what you pay for!! - 6/6/2010 10:31:44 PM   
IDontThinkSo

Geez, this thread still going on?

Anyway, it might help looking at this as a software first, simulation second, and game third, if at all. (As already someone more or less implied.)

The sole purpose of games is to provide entertainment. In simulations, however, the situation is different. I expect more than entertainment from this game, and judging from HTTR, this delivers. I don't view this as a game, but as a hobby - an investment to investigate a particular aspect in this wonderful field. From that standpoint, even those 75 euros on a virtually zero student budget is justified, as the game will not only provide strategic and tactical joy, but also teach me about history and military in that particular period of time, and even let me experience what a commander goes through, in a very unique manner.

Producing games and simulations is very different. In games, you generally care about the gameplay and try to make it so that the game provides an enjoyable experience.  In simulations, you aim for a sufficiently accurate representation of some aspect of reality. Software that is both a game and simulation has to balance these two out, and is therefore more difficult to produce. Especially when the expected buying force is small.

I can perfectly understand if people won't buy this simply because the theater does not interest them. However, refusing to buy the software solely because it is priced $20 more than a new game tastes of apples and oranges to me. And I'm saying this as a student on a practically zero budget (who will still buy the game).

< Message edited by IDontThinkSo -- 6/6/2010 10:54:59 PM >

(in reply to AndrewKurtz)
Post #: 516
RE: Price? - You get what you pay for!! - 6/7/2010 12:33:13 AM   
BASB

I thought lots of political talk got a thread locked, what do we have to do to get this thread locked. Ah the game is grossly overpriced and junk junk junk junk junk junk junk junk, the AI is smarter than me and doesn't cheat, I'm not getting my monies worth as the game was shipped incomplete, where are my bugs If I'm a gonna pay $90  for a game I want my obligatory bugs that come with most games, come on where my monies worth. And what else have u done you seduce me into buying this near bugless game by producing a six videos that actually show me the the new features, game mechanics, how to play the game and basic tactics, thats a bit rough where's the glitzy vids showing beautiful cut scenes, the endless same shots of the UI and some dude rambling and mumbling through the game's features. And how dare u force me to watch tutorial demos longer than some games keep my playing interest, and finally u guys should gaoled for spending hundreds of hours just to get the AI to work responsibly and then charging customers like for your efforts shame shame shame ( Thanks Daryn for letting me use your line). 

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to IDontThinkSo)
Post #: 517
RE: Price? - You get what you pay for!! - 6/7/2010 12:59:55 AM   
Treale

I have only one question: What is gaoled ????

Tony

(in reply to BASB)
Post #: 518
RE: Price? - You get what you pay for!! - 6/7/2010 1:01:38 AM   
Arnir

The concept works both ways folks.  People who don't want to be in this thread don't have to come here.  Lots of folks seem to be trolling lately, but trying to get a thread locked because you don't like it doesn't seem to be much different.  If this one gets locked you just know others will spawn, so what not just keep it contained here?

Used to be that personal attacks and silly nationalistic stuff got one a knuckle rapping around here but not lately.  Times are a changing.

On topic:  time will tell if the price is too high for Matrix or not.  If it is, it will come down.  If it isn't, it won't.  Not rocket science.  Complaining about it won't help, but allow people to discuss it works as a relief valve.  Discuss does not equal insults.

(in reply to BASB)
Post #: 519
RE: Price? - You get what you pay for!! - 6/7/2010 1:03:12 AM   
Arnir

quote:

I have only one question: What is gaoled ????

I think that means jailed.

(in reply to Treale)
Post #: 520
RE: Price? - You get what you pay for!! - 6/7/2010 1:03:28 AM   
RViener

You can buy Distant Worlds for $39 an be a beta tester for 3 months.

(in reply to Arnir)
Post #: 521
RE: Price? - You get what you pay for!! - 6/7/2010 1:07:20 AM   
Arnir

quote:

ORIGINAL: RViener

You can buy Distant Worlds for $39 an be a beta tester for 3 months.

I did.

(in reply to RViener)
Post #: 522
RE: Price? - You get what you pay for!! - 6/7/2010 1:34:44 AM   
BASB

Yes jail is correct and Arnir no not really trying to get the the thread locked up just being a little silly, don't take my comment too seriously.

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to Arnir)
Post #: 523
RE: Price? - You get what you pay for!! - 6/7/2010 1:44:22 AM   
Arnir

quote:

ORIGINAL: BASB

Yes jail is correct and Arnir no not really trying to get the the thread locked up just being a little silly, don't take my comment too seriously.

(in reply to BASB)
Post #: 524
RE: Price? - You get what you pay for!! - 6/7/2010 1:59:10 AM   
jomni

OT: I have not been using any printers from 5 years already.  Can always borrow a printer when needed (company, services).

My Blog
Random Wargame Name Generator

(in reply to Arnir)
Post #: 525
RE: Price? - You get what you pay for!! - 6/7/2010 5:35:07 AM   
Sheytan

Complaining about it wont help? Perhaps in your opinion. Seems to me this thread is split on buy/will not buy. IF nothing else Panther gets some feedback. How you view the comments by others isnt material.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arnir

The concept works both ways folks.  People who don't want to be in this thread don't have to come here.  Lots of folks seem to be trolling lately, but trying to get a thread locked because you don't like it doesn't seem to be much different.  If this one gets locked you just know others will spawn, so what not just keep it contained here?

Used to be that personal attacks and silly nationalistic stuff got one a knuckle rapping around here but not lately.  Times are a changing.

On topic:  time will tell if the price is too high for Matrix or not.  If it is, it will come down.  If it isn't, it won't.  Not rocket science.  Complaining about it won't help, but allow people to discuss it works as a relief valve.  Discuss does not equal insults.

(in reply to Arnir)
Post #: 526
RE: Price? - You get what you pay for!! - 6/7/2010 7:38:16 AM   
billyjj

"complaining" about the price is not what is going on, its just people voicing their opinions... They won't lower their price at this point because the rest of the forum that did buy it would feel cheated. I'm sure they wont admit it but the 80 dollar price tag was a mistake that they can no longer undo without refunding those that did buy it. Do us all a favor and don't buy overpriced games you are killing it for the rest of us that don't feel like overpaying, just send them something extra if you are such a fanboy, give them 10 percent of your paycheck every month while you're at it

(in reply to Sheytan)
Post #: 527
RE: Price? - You get what you pay for!! - 6/7/2010 7:57:58 AM   
BASB

quote:

ORIGINAL: billyjj

"complaining" about the price is not what is going on, its just people voicing their opinions... They won't lower their price at this point because the rest of the forum that did buy it would feel cheated. I'm sure they wont admit it but the 80 dollar price tag was a mistake that they can no longer undo without refunding those that did buy it.

I'm voicing my opinion by buying the game, if you don't want to pay for it that's fine as well, but don't tell me and others how to voice our opinion.

"Do us all a favor and don't buy overpriced games you are killing it for the rest of us that don't feel like overpaying, just send them something extra if you are such a fanboy, give them 10 percent of your paycheck every month while you're at it"

" In my humble opinion the above quote is dumbest in this thread so far." Most of my posts on this thread were tongue in cheek, however for the record this one isn't.
Ron

< Message edited by BASB -- 6/7/2010 9:40:05 AM >

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to billyjj)
Post #: 528
RE: Price? - You get what you pay for!! - 6/7/2010 8:17:41 AM   
Hertston

quote:

Spelt properly in English. Or, indeed, Australian.

(in reply to Arnir)
Post #: 529
RE: Price? - You get what you pay for!! - 6/7/2010 9:02:49 AM   
flipperwasirish

quote:

"complaining" about the price is not what is going on, its just people voicing their opinions... They won't lower their price at this point because the rest of the forum that did buy it would feel cheated. I'm sure they wont admit it but the 80 dollar price tag was a mistake that they can no longer undo without refunding those that did buy it. Do us all a favor and don't buy overpriced games you are killing it for the rest of us that don't feel like overpaying, just send them something extra if you are such a fanboy, give them 10 percent of your paycheck every month while you're at it

You start by saying "complaining" about the price is not what is going on, its just people voicing their opinions..." then proceed to do just that.

Expressing your opinion is fine, but that is all it is. People will make judgements on if they think yours are valid or not. Asking people to not buy a game because you think they are over-paying and believe that hurts you is a weak argument. I understand you don't want to pay the price for a high-quality game, that also is fine.

But expecting such games as BftB to cost "what you think is fair" is not very realistic. That other people see value in BftB at the current price is a personal choice. Not a choice made to hurt you, but a choice for their entertainment dollar. I believe you are right and in the future a certain % of top-of-the-line games will cost more than they used to, perhaps more than you want to spend. The only way this doesn't happen is if most top-of-the-line games no longer get made. And instead companies keep putting out $40.00-50.00 games that are worthless to many players. Cheaper is not a bad thing, but nor is it always better. I do not object to paying for quality.

There is room in the industry for games that you find are of value, and there is room for games you don't. We are all different and have different views on value. So no, I will not stop buying games that I want and feel provide value to me.

Flipper

(in reply to billyjj)
Post #: 530
RE: Price? - You get what you pay for!! - 6/7/2010 9:37:14 AM   
BASB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

quote:

Spelt properly in English. Or, indeed, Australian.

He He, I think I had this discussion about the queen's english on another forum. Funny these non English/Australian online dictionaries can't spell harbour, metre or cheque, but it had no problem with gaol, Hmm except the spell checker on this forum.

Ron

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 531
RE: Price? - You get what you pay for!! - 6/7/2010 12:44:35 PM   
SuluSea

quote:

The majority of your posts as a member here are spent whining about the price of this game and attacking others for buying it, a few posts is an opinion but at some point it becomes straight up whining.

< Message edited by SuluSea -- 6/7/2010 12:46:11 PM >

”How strangely will the Tools of a Tyrant pervert the plain Meaning of Words!” ~ Samuel Adams

(in reply to billyjj)
Post #: 532
RE: Price? - You get what you pay for!! - 6/7/2010 4:15:20 PM   
Treale

quote:

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

quote:

The majority of your posts as a member here are spent whining about the price of this game and attacking others for buying it, a few posts is an opinion but at some point it becomes straight up whining.

I think that the poster (billyjj) is just a bored 12 year old troll!!!

The biggest reason I haven't bought yet is I'm not sure that my old desktop will run it properly. And yes it is a lot of money, but I've paid as much or more for some monster board games that I've never played. Also as I mentioned on here somewhere I bought two ink cartridges yesterday for $80!!!

Tony

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 533
RE: Price? - You get what you pay for!! - 6/7/2010 6:17:04 PM   
gts2096

Will there be a Demo to entice ppl like me who are still sticker shocked.......it might be the push i need to buy this game

(in reply to Treale)
Post #: 534
RE: Price? - You get what you pay for!! - 6/7/2010 6:24:57 PM   
billyjj

quote:

Well I been a member since feb. of this year, since you been a member since 2006 that makes your opinion more valid? I read a lot of comments here of people trying to justify their purchase.. this thread only exists because the price of the game is too high. If the price was 49.99 you would not see this thread and you would not have people says "well I put 60 dollars gas in my car a week so whats another 80 for a game LOL", that is the mind of a sucker. Same reason a gambler says "Well I make 2000 my rent is only 1000 so that leaves me a 1000 dollars to piss off at the casino, I can afford it so what is the big deal". You guys PAID TOO MUCH for the game and that is that. Its not a personal attack against anyone, but you just drove the price of matrix games up for good.

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 535
RE: Price? - You get what you pay for!! - 6/7/2010 6:29:39 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: gts2096

Will there be a Demo to entice ppl like me who are still sticker shocked.......it might be the push i need to buy this game

The official word is there will be a demo and it's a few weeks away.

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to gts2096)
Post #: 536
RE: Price? - You get what you pay for!! - 6/7/2010 7:41:34 PM   
SuluSea

quote:

quote:

Well I been a member since feb. of this year, since you been a member since 2006 that makes your opinion more valid? I read a lot of comments here of people trying to justify their purchase.. this thread only exists because the price of the game is too high. If the price was 49.99 you would not see this thread and you would not have people says "well I put 60 dollars gas in my car a week so whats another 80 for a game LOL", that is the mind of a sucker. Same reason a gambler says "Well I make 2000 my rent is only 1000 so that leaves me a 1000 dollars to piss off at the casino, I can afford it so what is the big deal". You guys PAID TOO MUCH for the game and that is that. Its not a personal attack against anyone, but you just drove the price of matrix games up for good.

I'll copy and paste my last post in this thread-

quote:

It's tough to figure how you came to the conclusion my opinion is more valid than yours because I've been a member at this site longer. I certainly never stated that. It must be some kind of grade school mentality. The total cost of the game for me SHIPPING INCLUDED was $73 USD, I made the purchase at NWS. Just judging what people who have the game say If the game is as good as I think its going to be then the $73 is a small fee. Like AE if I wasn't a new comer to the series I'd glady pay the asking price. I was prepared to pay double for AE because that's the only game I play, the current asking price for AE ($89.99 physical shipment) is a steal IMO. I have enough time for a second game , the better BFTB is the more it will cut into AE time and the longer I'll wait to make my WITE purchase.

You don't have the game so you can't make an honest and fair judgement on what the game is worth. As indicated by the majority of your posts at this site you're just here to whine about it. It's obvious you have bigger issues than the cost of this game.

< Message edited by SuluSea -- 6/7/2010 8:03:17 PM >

”How strangely will the Tools of a Tyrant pervert the plain Meaning of Words!” ~ Samuel Adams

(in reply to billyjj)
Post #: 537
RE: Price? - You get what you pay for!! - 6/7/2010 8:28:46 PM   
Treale

Thank goodness for the green ignore button. Billyjj just got the hook from me! I don't appreciate him telling me I'm stupid for buying a game that he can't afford... At least I'll buy it when I know for sure that it will work on my machine...

Tony

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 538
RE: Price? - You get what you pay for!! - 6/7/2010 8:41:03 PM   
Badjayhawk

quote:

I read a lot of comments here of people trying to justify their purchase.. this thread only exists because the price of the game is too high. If the price was 49.99 you would not see this thread and you would not have people says "well I put 60 dollars gas in my car a week so whats another 80 for a game LOL", that is the mind of a sucker. Same reason a gambler says "Well I make 2000 my rent is only 1000 so that leaves me a 1000 dollars to piss off at the casino, I can afford it so what is the big deal". You guys PAID TOO MUCH for the game and that is that. Its not a personal attack against anyone, but you just drove the price of matrix games up for good.

The fallacy of this argument is that people seem to be saying on the one hand that the price was such a painfully obvious mistake that it will undoubtedly kill sales as evidenced by the number of posts complaining about it, yet at the same time claiming that if others choose to buy the game they are effectively capitulating and encouraging higher prices.   Can't have it both ways.  If the price is as monumentally an unsound business decision as some contend, it follows that the few fools such as myself who "pay too much" cannot effect the forces of the free market.

(in reply to Treale)
Post #: 539
RE: Price? - You get what you pay for!! - 6/7/2010 9:03:50 PM   
Hertston

quote:

... this thread only exists because the price of the game is too high.

No, it only exists because some people think the price is too high. The difference is actually quite important, whether you happen to be one of those people or not.

< Message edited by Hertston -- 6/7/2010 9:04:19 PM >

(in reply to billyjj)
Post #: 540
Page:   <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> RE: Price? - You get what you pay for!! Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI