Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Price?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> RE: Price? Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Price? - 5/31/2010 12:29:17 AM   
Terl

Wow. I held off buying COTA because I did not like the theater of operations. I figured I would wait for this one as I figured the price would be similar. Boy was I wrong. Add to the fact their are never really any sales to speak of and this one is a "no buy" for me. I saw others saying they would wait for the Christmas sale, I'll be surprised if this is even on that sale. Just too tight these days for this much on a game no matter how good it may be.

(in reply to Howard7x)
Post #: 391
RE: Price? - 5/31/2010 1:44:49 AM   
**budd**

Hello

Long time lurker [since steel panthers was about the only thing to read about here] and after the intial sticker shock, if the demo plays on my computer i will be buyng. I fall into that catagory of always buying more games then i have time to play [8 matrix titles last year, 3 of those at NWS and 5 during the holiday sale]. Guess how many i've put any serious time with .................2 and i always swear every year not this year, i'm going play what i have, well that's been a lie for several years running. I guess what i'm saying is my gaming budget is a yearly thing and this one will coming out of the budget and i will buy less titles this year. I loved HTTR and i have no doubt about the quality of this title and frankly i want to see this engine evolve, to me the possibilities of this engine are exciting. It's different then anything out there that i play. I was as shocked by the price as anybody and i had digest before making an opinion, because like alot of people here i have to justify the expense in my own mind because of real world obligations. So if it runs on my computer[ another thing i've been trying to justify..... new computer] i'm in. Rock on Panther . Hope others get on board.

budd

(in reply to Terl)
Post #: 392
RE: Price? - 5/31/2010 1:56:28 AM   
jomni

This release has resparked my interest in HTTR.  Reinstalled and playing a few scenarios now.  Really fun.  Eventually I'll forget about the price and buy BftB because the game engine is really good.

The most expesive PC game I've bought is still Steel Beasts Pro.

< Message edited by jomni -- 5/31/2010 2:29:49 AM >

My Blog
Random Wargame Name Generator

(in reply to **budd**)
Post #: 393
RE: Price? - 5/31/2010 2:54:44 AM   
sliver_bullet

Poor Sales ?? This is just a initial shock reaction to the price , it will pass as times goes by

When more good comments from those few who bought the game , the sale will pick up

Many Panther Games fans now I believe are reinstalling the older title in the series and the more they play , the sooner they will realize this is a game that they cannot afford to miss

A solid game engine plus excellent support from the developer will able to withstand any setback

Even at this moment I believe that there are already some change of hearts from the initial " so expensive , I will never buy this " , at least I am one of them

< Message edited by sliver_bullet -- 5/31/2010 3:02:17 AM >

(in reply to Howard7x)
Post #: 394
RE: Price? - 5/31/2010 6:00:03 AM   
dsawan

I doubt it. People are on a budget plain and simple. Doesnt matter how many hours you did to make a good quality game. Most people will wait till it goes down and then buy either via time or a seasonal sale. At least thats what I am cou nting on.

(in reply to sliver_bullet)
Post #: 395
RE: Price? - 5/31/2010 6:35:00 AM   
ceyan

quote:

ORIGINAL: dsawan

I doubt it. People are on a budget plain and simple. Doesnt matter how many hours you did to make a good quality game. Most people will wait till it goes down and then buy either via time or a seasonal sale. At least thats what I am cou nting on.

People are remarkably weak to resist temptation when it comes to spending money. If people (at least in the US) were really cost conscious you wouldn't end up with people who get a new phone every year, the iPad wouldn't have sold over a million units in a month, and if people were really going to ditch a game over the price they wouldn't keep coming back to the game's forum and keep discussing it...

(in reply to dsawan)
Post #: 396
RE: Price? - 5/31/2010 9:17:18 AM   
Foolio

I haven't had time to ream the the whole post, so sorry if I'm repeating...but this is my view as newbie to wargaming/milsim (or whatever it's called) and veteral of all other types of PC games since day 1.

Looking for my first wargame I stumbled across the RDoA demo and loved it straight away. Seeing that CotA was the latest incarnation of the series I wanted to go for that thinking that it would have the latest engine etc, and then I saw the price of ~£40 for a game that's arounf 5 years old. For someone not aware of how these types of games are priced/marketed it's a real shock.

BftB is more high profile and the links/adverts/reviews will bring in more peope like myself who want something more from games than mindless FPS or RTS, and who are new to this type of game. That price is really going to scare off an awful number of casual games or people new to AA series. I can't help feel that Matrix (who whoever sets the pricing) is shooting themselves in the foot. If you have hardened Matrix fans thinking twice then you've go no hope of hooking the average non-wargamer.

I'm just glad that I only just convinced myself to buy CotA last week, because there is no way I could consider paying the price for BftB at the moment. God only know what my wife would say if she'd found out I'd spent £70 on a game.

I just hope that by the time I've got my fill from CotA, that BftB is a more sensible price.

(in reply to ceyan)
Post #: 397
RE: Price? - 5/31/2010 9:30:48 AM   
Arjuna

quote:

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

I've had a few days to think this over after the initial shock of the price.

First of all I'd like to thank the staff here for allowing the people to have their feelings heard. Before a game comes out if I'm interested I try to guage the price of what I'm willing to pay considering how much free time I have and how much time I have invested in other games are always a consideration. I figured I was willing to go $65 plus shipping top end, so NWS isn't that far off but I think I'll wait for the demo to see if this is up my alley considering the price and also I've never played any games in the series. Thanks Erik , Dave and the rest of the developers and sorry about any bad feelings I've caused in my complaints.

Have a great & safe  Memorial Day for those in the United States.

Thanks for your post SulaSea...most appreciated.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 398
RE: Price? - 5/31/2010 10:05:52 AM   
MikeBrough

quote:

ORIGINAL: Foolio

I just hope that by the time I've got my fill from CotA, that BftB is a more sensible price.

I wouldn't count on it, Foolio. In 5 years time, just as inflation makes the price look more reasonable, Matrix/PG MIGHT just increase the price again to help cover the costs of the next iteration.

Your post though make sense to me - this price will scare off any new starts and, yet, it's the ideal game to get them roped in - much better than 1000-counters-to-move-indivdually type of game. I suspect PG may be preaching to a rapidly dimishing choir with little chance of adding to their numbers.

I have a sneaking suspicion that I might yet break down and buy this at some point but I'll have to save for it which means no impulse buys in the meantime - so Matrix will lose out overall.

Mike Brough
Proud to be an Arab

Be sceptical of the things you believe are false; be very sceptical of the things you believe are true.

(in reply to Foolio)
Post #: 399
RE: Price? - 5/31/2010 2:58:03 PM   
Treale

I'm with Sulu. I've not played the other games in the series and I'm not sure that this one will run on my six year old desktop! I'll wait for the Demo.....

If I'm going to spend $80, I want to make sure that it is a "Good" buy...

Tony

(in reply to MikeBrough)
Post #: 400
RE: Price? - 5/31/2010 4:27:03 PM   
Mark Weston

I've been looking forward to BftB for a long time, and this price was a major shock. Before release I had always assumed that I'd buy it automatically as soon as it was out. Now it's off my immediate agenda. Maybe I'll come back to it in six months or a year, maybe it's a permanently lost sale. I'm pretty frustrated and I think Matrix and Panther are making a bad choice.

Look, like nearly everyone who is complaining about the price, I'm well aware that if I really made the effort I could find the money from somewhere. But that actually isn't the point. For me, and I'm sure for most people, any purchase expensive enough that you have to think about needs to pass the "am I being ripped off?" test. Right now, BftB fails. It's priced well above the average for PC games, and well above the average for earlier games in the same series. And it's not even a new game, it's a refinement of an existing engine. It's hard to shake the feeling that Matrix and/or Panther have decided that their market is a small hard-core group of wargamers who need their fix and don't care how much it costs. Well possibly you're right about us collectively, but you're wrong about me.

Another problem I have is that to me, the only way to enjoy these games long term is against another player. Panther's achievement has been to create an AI that does a competent and convincing job as a battalion or brigade HQ, but only because we give it narrowly focused and short-term objectives. The overall operational AI is well short of providing human-equivalent opposition (and I don't mean any insult or even criticism of Panther by saying that, I don't think anyone has managed to create a human-equivalent opponent for any wargame; it's a non-trivial problem!) My point being, to enjoy this game long-term I need to convince friends to buy it too. Now I'm quite happy to go into my regular spiel about this series being the future of wargaming, attempting levels of realism and providing a gaming experience that nothing else gets near. But at some point my spiel will have to mention that the game costs £70, and at that point I'm sure I'll be laughed out of the room.

And finally, I can't help responding to the justification of the price by "the fifty man years of work" put into the series as a whole. The thing is, I've already paid for Red Devils, HTTR and COTA. By purchasing BftB am I supposed to be paying for them twice?

< Message edited by Mark Weston -- 6/2/2010 12:14:55 AM >

(in reply to Treale)
Post #: 401
RE: Price? - 5/31/2010 11:49:19 PM   
Steely Glint

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Weston

Look, like nearly everyone who is complaining about the price, I'm well aware that if I really made the effort I could find the money from somewhere. But that actually isn't the point. For me, and I'm sure for most people, and purchase expensive enough that you have to think about needs to pass the "am I being ripped off" test. Right now, BftB fails. It's priced will above the average for PC games, and well above the average for earlier games in the same series. And it's not even a new game, it's a refinement of an existing engine. It's hard to shake the feeling that Matrix and/or Panther have decided that their market is a small hard-core group of wargamers who need their fix and don't care how much it costs. Well possibly you're right about us collectively, but you're wrong about me.

They're wrong about more wargamers than just you, Mark.

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

(in reply to Mark Weston)
Post #: 402
RE: Price? - 5/31/2010 11:58:23 PM   
Sheytan

Great post!

quote:

I've been looking forward to BftB for a long time, and this price was a major shock. Before release I had always assumed that I'd buy it automatically as soon as it was out. Now it's off my immediate agenda. Maybe I'll come back to it in six months or a year, maybe it's a permanently lost sale. I'm pretty frustrated and I think Matrix and Panther are making a bad choice.

Look, like nearly everyone who is complaining about the price, I'm well aware that if I really made the effort I could find the money from somewhere. But that actually isn't the point. For me, and I'm sure for most people, and purchase expensive enough that you have to think about needs to pass the "am I being ripped off" test. Right now, BftB fails. It's priced will above the average for PC games, and well above the average for earlier games in the same series. And it's not even a new game, it's a refinement of an existing engine. It's hard to shake the feeling that Matrix and/or Panther have decided that their market is a small hard-core group of wargamers who need their fix and don't care how much it costs. Well possibly you're right about us collectively, but you're wrong about me.

Another problem I have is that to me, the only way to enjoy these games long term is against another player. Panther's achievement has been to create an AI that does a competent and convincing job as a battalion or brigade HQ, but only because we give it narrowly focused and short-term objectives. The overall operational AI is well short of providing human-equivalent opposition (and I don't mean any insult or even criticism of Panther by saying that, I don't think anyone has managed to create a human-equivalent opponent for any wargame; it's a non-trivial problem!) My point being, to enjoy this game long-term I need to convince friends to buy it too. Now I'm quite happy to go into my regular spiel about this series being the future of wargaming, attempting levels of realism and providing a gaming experience that nothing else gets near. But at some point my spiel will have to mention that the game costs £70, and at that point I'm sure I'll be laughed out of the room.

And finally, I can't help responding to the justification of the price by "the fifty man years of work" put into the series as a whole.. The thing is, I've already paid for Red Devils, HTTR and COTA. By purchasing BftB am I supposed to be paying for them twice?

Post #: 403
RE: Price? - 6/1/2010 1:00:21 AM   
BASB

Wow over 15500 views on this topic in few days, perhaps it adds weight to the old adage, "any publicity is good publicity"
Ron

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to Sheytan)
Post #: 404
RE: Price? - 6/1/2010 2:40:41 AM   
jomni

quote:

Another problem I have is that to me, the only way to enjoy these games long term is against another player.

I prefer turn based multiplayer so we can take our time.
Real time is a problem as you both have to sit in the session at the same time and no time acceleration(?). And I'm from Asia so it's hard to find players willing to play at the same time.

My Blog
Random Wargame Name Generator

Post #: 405
RE: Price? - 6/1/2010 3:48:43 AM   
Arjuna

In multiplayer, you can acelerate the time the game runs at just the same as you can in single player mode.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 406
RE: Price? - 6/1/2010 5:22:40 AM   
Larac

Another point not stated is the Price was kept under wraps until release.

No Doubt done because of the reaction that would occur.

A major price change after adding 10 to the older games to pay for this, seems to be a bit much for many folks.

Good Luck with it one day I may look at it again.

But I fear this is the tip of a slope that will be painful to all.

Please do look at Steams model, no extras for keeping data access that you do anyway, (even when paid for it does not work), and how much money can be made by right price.

But I think your digging a hole, the next game will be what 150 or 200?

Lee

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 407
RE: Price? - 6/1/2010 5:42:40 AM   
Joe 98

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larac

But I think your digging a hole, the next game will be what 150 or 200?

No, because as I have said umpteen times on these forums, I have a suspician that the price is based the the FX rate against the AUD and the AUD is strong at the moment.

When War in the East is released, the good news for all, is that the developer is an American making it cheaper for everybody!

-

(in reply to Larac)
Post #: 408
RE: Price? - 6/1/2010 6:12:48 AM   
flipperwasirish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

When War in the East is released, the good news for all, is that the developer is an American making it cheaper for everybody!

I think both of your assumptions are incorrect. It would be very suprising if WITE is cheaper than this, though I would be pleased if it winds up so. I expect WITE and MWIF to be close to the same price for each, and have no realistic hope of it being cheaper than BftB.

Flipper

(in reply to Joe 98)
Post #: 409
RE: Price? - 6/1/2010 7:59:14 AM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: flipperwasirish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

I think both of your assumptions are incorrect. It would be very suprising if WITE is cheaper than this, though I would be pleased if it winds up so. I expect WITE and MWIF to be close to the same price for each, and have no realistic hope of it being cheaper than BftB.

I agree. If you think WitE is going to be cheaper your going to get a shock I reckon.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to flipperwasirish)
Post #: 410
RE: Price? - 6/1/2010 8:07:50 AM   
wodin

Just like to say that Elemental a game by stardock is being advertised (for the collectors edition) $79.99. This has me thinking that quality non console ports pc games are going to go up in price. The shrinking PC market may have something to do with it...I have a feeling that not only wargames but all PC games will be a niche market. The only cheap games I imagine will be online browser games.

Also something I forgot about was that new console games can cost £59.99. A price I balk at and made me happy I owend a PC, especially considering £59.99 for the latest FPS\Racing\Beat em up was and is a joke to me....(though I do want Red Dead)...how many FPS\Racing\Beat em ups do you need at £59.99 anyway. PC games have usually so much more to them and if it means buying less games, forgoing those not top of my list then so be it as I really don't want to see quality PC games die a death.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 411
RE: Price? - 6/1/2010 12:57:39 PM   
Foolio

At the end of the the day this is a PC game, so it will be measured again other PC games. In that respect it is way overpriced, especially when you compare it how Steam operates. I mean you don't even get a permanent on-line copy.

Talking from a purely business point of view, if you were actively trying to discourage first time buyers, this is exactly how you would do it. There seems to be no long term plan, other than rinse the fans.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 412
RE: Price? - 6/1/2010 1:10:37 PM   
Motomouse

Still too expensive for me

After reinstalling COTA I bought it anyway . Dont know yet how to justify it at the next local budget war

It is definitly worth the cost: Scenarios, features, tutorials ...
I also played the HPS Bulge game and I really enjoy to revisit the battle via the Panther game. Very interesting!
But still too expensive for me. (So my signature is here to stay). Let´s see if I survive the budget war

Regards
Motomouse

P.S. I prefer to shell out my money in tasty chunks, not in one big heap!

Ceterum censeo pantherae ludi impensus vendere

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 413
RE: Price? - 6/1/2010 1:17:50 PM   
daft

quote:

ORIGINAL: Motomouse

Let´s see if I survive the budget war

Regards
Motomouse

P.S. I prefer to shell out my money in tasty chunks, not in one big heap!

You won't. The Bulge was a playground compared to The battle of the Budget. It really isn't pretty. I'm a seasoned veteran of several and lucky to be alive. In a statistical sense, I should have died about a dozen times already.

(in reply to Motomouse)
Post #: 414
RE: Price? - 6/1/2010 1:22:35 PM   
flipperwasirish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Foolio

At the end of the the day this is a PC game, so it will be measured again other PC games. In that respect it is way overpriced, especially when you compare it how Steam operates. I mean you don't even get a permanent on-line copy.

Talking from a purely business point of view, if you were actively trying to discourage first time buyers, this is exactly how you would do it. There seems to be no long term plan, other than rinse the fans.

It seems that you overlook the many and varied titles Matrix offers at entry level prices. The wargame business has changed over the last thirty-five years, it is no longer realistic to take a top-of-the-line title and price it in the entry level category. I've been wargamming for over 40 years and while it would be nice to return to the days of $8.00 games...those days are gone along with 25 cent cokes and 75 cent packs of smokes....

Flipper

(in reply to Foolio)
Post #: 415
RE: Price? - 6/1/2010 3:40:50 PM   
Foolio

I'm comparing PC games, which is what BftB is. New PC games cost around £40 not around £70, therefore BftB is expensive compared to all other games except wargames, apparently.

The simple fact is that the pricing of BtfB is going to scare off anyone who isn't a regular wargamer, has money to burn or likes taking a risk.

Wargaming is a niche market at best, and if Matrix were just aiming to keep their existing AA player-base constant and rinse as much money as possible from it then that's up to them. But I reckon they are going to struggle to expand upon that core player-base with this price model.

To me, it's like having a football ground 50% full at £70 a ticket. When they could have it 100% full at £40. Rather than pricing the game to appeal to a wider market and get more fans, they price it to milk as much as possible out of the existing punters.

< Message edited by Foolio -- 6/1/2010 3:42:24 PM >

(in reply to flipperwasirish)
Post #: 416
RE: Price? - 6/1/2010 3:44:29 PM   
wodin

Actually though it says different you can download the game as often as you want...I redownloaded Battles in Italy the other day and I ordered it when it first came out a few years ago now...

(in reply to Foolio)
Post #: 417
RE: Price? - 6/1/2010 3:55:17 PM   
Heva

Long time lurker being forced to go against his nature here over this price issue, i too have been eargerly waiting for this game, and having purchased all the series so far the price increase is the only problem for me so i wont be purchasing, possably ever. this seems to be no way to thank PG's loyal customers who bought the early games on faith and stuck with the series for what, almost ten years?

However, the main reason im posting is down to all the flak i see flying about, i gotta say i realy understand why alot of people would be angry at the price increase, i also understand that anyone who actualy bought the game at this massively inflated price will feel the need to (sometimes vigorously) defend the large amount of money paid out, after all i dont care what planet your on $100 dollars is a lot of money (any comments refuting this will just prove how ignorant of real life anybody is)

So to all those who might be fortunate enough to be ignorant and all those who merely feel the need to defend an expensive purchase try to be aware of why your voicing your opinion and cut all of us who cant afford it (wether due to principle or not being able to afford it) some slack.

(in reply to Terl)
Post #: 418
RE: Price? - 6/1/2010 7:08:57 PM   
Slick Wilhelm

I loved COTA and am a huge Panther Games fan. For me the deal breaker was the battle chosen, not so much the price, although I did get a bit of sticker shock when I first saw the price. 

I could justify the price for this game if it were recreating one of a hundred different battles(El Alamein or the battle of France, anyone?) in WWII. But $79.99 for yet another Bulge wargame? Sorry, I'm going to have to give this one a pass, or at least wait til modders make some different battles from some less well-traveled era.

(in reply to Heva)
Post #: 419
RE: Price? - 6/1/2010 8:11:21 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slick Wilhelm
I loved COTA and am a huge Panther Games fan. For me the deal breaker was the battle chosen, not so much the price, although I did get a bit of sticker shock when I first saw the price. 

I could justify the price for this game if it were recreating one of a hundred different battles(El Alamein or the battle of France, anyone?) in WWII. But $79.99 for yet another Bulge wargame? Sorry, I'm going to have to give this one a pass, or at least wait til modders make some different battles from some less well-traveled era.

That was always a no-win scenario. I'd far rather have seen other subject matter as well, but the trouble is that the less well-travelled eras and theatres don't sell. Look at CotA; the subject matter was perfectly suited to the game engine and produced some fascinating gaming but if we are honest how much better would it have sold 'if it had had Americans in it'? Even some possibilities that do ('Patton's Charge' was floated way back in the RDoA days) just don't have the same sexiness as the Bulge or Normandy to many, even if we have been there umpteen times before. The good news, though, is that we've never done the Bulge like this, and it really is a totally different experience.

(in reply to Slick Wilhelm)
Post #: 420
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> RE: Price? Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI