Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question about the movie "Bridge at Remagan"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Question about the movie "Bridge at Remagan" Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question about the movie "Bridge at Remagan" - 5/26/2010 3:44:08 PM   
ilovestrategy

What type of tanks are the Americans using in that movie? I thought the Sherman was used. Was it phased out by this time or is the movie using the wrong tank?

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
Post #: 1
RE: Question about the movie "Bridge at Remagan" - 5/26/2010 4:00:31 PM   
Terminus

The Sherman was certainly not "phased out". As I recall, that film uses the M24 Chaffee, which had begun to replace the Stuart tank at the time.

< Message edited by Terminus -- 5/26/2010 4:02:53 PM >

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 2
RE: Question about the movie "Bridge at Remagan" - 5/26/2010 4:31:59 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

For several years, I lived two-doors down from Harold Larsen. "Mr. Larsen" was the the pilot of the L-4 "Grasshopper" that sighted the intact Remagen Bridge. I remember being told the story, but I'm afraid that none of it sunk very deep into my childhood awareness of "who did what during the war." I played little-league baseball against his son, Kenny, with whom, I got in more than one fistfight. The elder Larsen didn't work, which was odd, I thought at the time, because he couldn't have been older than forty. I know that he slept late into the morning, because Kenny or his mom would often emerge from their house and ask the neighborhood kids to quiet-down, lest he be foul awakened. Again, though, I didn't make much of it. In retrospect, maybe the war took something out of him, the best years of his life, perhaps. Regardless of what happened to him, before or after, I hope that he found the peace that all those old warriors so richly deserve.

< Message edited by Prince of Eckmühl -- 5/26/2010 4:33:12 PM >

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: Question about the movie "Bridge at Remagan" - 5/26/2010 7:20:28 PM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

The Sherman was certainly not "phased out". As I recall, that film uses the M24 Chaffee, which had begun to replace the Stuart tank at the time.

thank you Terminus. :)

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 4
RE: Question about the movie "Bridge at Remagan" - 5/26/2010 8:35:26 PM   
Andrew Williams

The chaffee was not a replacement for the Sherman

Post #: 5
RE: Question about the movie "Bridge at Remagan" - 5/26/2010 9:29:17 PM   
Terminus

That's sorta why I said "Stuart", not "Sherman", wasn't it?

(in reply to Andrew Williams)
Post #: 6
RE: Question about the movie "Bridge at Remagan" - 5/26/2010 10:49:51 PM   
Doggie

The producers of the film used M-24s because they were available at the time the movie was made. That does not mean M-24s made the crossing at the actual bridge. The American vehicles most likely to have been first on the scene at Remagen were probably half tracks and M-8 armored cars, as these were the sort of vehicles used by armored scouts.

Visit the New, Improved Mad Dog's Drive Thru

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 7
RE: Question about the movie "Bridge at Remagan" - 5/26/2010 11:18:18 PM   
Terminus

The film was shot in Czechoslovakia, and the presence of the film crew, with all those nasty tanks became one of the more far-fetched excuses for the Soviet invasion of the country later in the year...

Post #: 8
RE: Question about the movie "Bridge at Remagan" - 5/27/2010 1:59:44 AM   
jomni

Israel still used Sharmans in the 50's.

My Blog
Random Wargame Name Generator

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 9
RE: Question about the movie "Bridge at Remagan" - 5/27/2010 6:09:32 AM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Doggie

The producers of the film used M-24s because they were available at the time the movie was made. That does not mean M-24s made the crossing at the actual bridge. The American vehicles most likely to have been first on the scene at Remagen were probably half tracks and M-8 armored cars, as these were the sort of vehicles used by armored scouts.

Ahhh ok, so the movie is not historically accurate. Well, it is a movie!

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 10
RE: Question about the movie "Bridge at Remagan" - 5/27/2010 6:34:18 AM   
Andrew Williams

quote:

That's sorta why I said "Stuart", not "Sherman", wasn't it?

ooops

Post #: 11
RE: Question about the movie "Bridge at Remagan" - 5/27/2010 7:58:55 AM   
Fallschirmjager

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

IIRC correctly reserve armored unit used them with more armor, better engines and 105mm British made rifled guns which game them a fighting chance against a T-62 all the way up until the 73 war.

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 12
RE: Question about the movie "Bridge at Remagan" - 5/27/2010 8:52:10 AM   
Terminus

The guns were French, and they used the "Super Sherman" in the Six-Day War as well.

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 13
RE: Question about the movie "Bridge at Remagan" - 5/27/2010 1:19:10 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

The film was shot in Czechoslovakia, and the presence of the film crew, with all those nasty tanks became one of the more far-fetched excuses for the Soviet invasion of the country later in the year...

Wow, really?

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 14
RE: Question about the movie "Bridge at Remagan" - 5/27/2010 7:49:20 PM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

Wow, really?

That's actually in my little booklet that came with my dvd.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 15
RE: Question about the movie "Bridge at Remagan" - 5/27/2010 9:28:38 PM   
Obsolete

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

Israel used them much later as well. Some other poor countries have used them up to 1990s (or was that the Jackson?), though going though major overhauls over the years. The fact is, the Sherman was already obsolete when it ran fresh off the assembly lines.

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 16
RE: Question about the movie "Bridge at Remagan" - 5/28/2010 1:09:59 AM   
GoodGuy

Israel heavily modified the turrets of the Shermans, which led to the Super Sherman later on.
Israel used Shermans in 1967 and 1973 (means the Sherman M-50 Continental, the M-50 Cummins, the M-51 [also known as Isherman]). For the IDF, the only real Super Sherman was a 76mm M4A1 and HVSS suspension, designated "Super Sherman M-1".

Shermans were pretty much the MBTs for India when the (3rd) war with Pakistan started (1965), this resulted in the largest commitment of Sherman and Patton tanks (with the latter being a vital workhorse for Pakistan) during a conflict since WWII. The M4 Sherman was pretty much india's MBT, where some of them were upgraded with French guns, and where others were older M4s that just had the 75mm gun, around 175 tanks all in all, plus they had ~160 French AMX light tanks and some ~180 Centurions (105mm). Pakistan had 200 M4 Shermans (76mm), plus some 150 M24, and quite a number of lighter tanks.
After some vital successes against a superior number of Pakistani tanks, India lost 120 tanks during just one operation, where then the 105mm Centurions saved India's butt.

Many Middle and South American countries were using Shermans for decades, and I think some even served well into the 2000s, in one or another country down there.

< Message edited by GoodGuy -- 5/28/2010 7:34:41 AM >

"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 17
RE: Question about the movie "Bridge at Remagan" - 5/28/2010 11:26:49 PM   
KHawk

quote:

Bridge at Remagan

MARCH 7, 1945: High atop the hill overlooking Remagen and the majestic Rhine River, Lt. Col. Leonard E. Engeman, Redwood Falls, Minn., trained his field glasses on the valley below. The commander of the 14th Tank Battalion actually jumped with excitement when he spotted the bridge.

The Ludendorff bridge was still intact!

German vehicles were moving across the span—across the only Rhine bridge Nazis had failed to blow in their frantic withdrawal from the hammer-like blows of the mighty Allied war machine.

It was apparent that Americans—this task force from Combat Command B of the 9th Armored Division—had arrived before they were expected. Otherwise, the Germans would have allowed more time for their remaining vehicles and troops to escape across the river.

But even if the Germans had waited too long, there was no assurance they would make the capital mistake of failing to blow the bridge. Col. Engeman reasoned the enemy probably would wait until his tanks roared into Remagen and then would cheat them of the prize by setting off the charges.

He acted quickly. After summoning a platoon of the 14th's Pershing tanks—new tanks with 90mm guns that could handle anything the Germans had—Col. Engeman gave instructions to Co. A, 27th Armd. Inf. Bn.:

Go down into the town. Get through it as quickly as possible and reach the bridge. The tanks will lead. The infantry will follow on foot. Their half-tracks will bring up the rear. Let's make it snappy.

KHawk

Post #: 18
RE: Question about the movie "Bridge at Remagan" - 5/29/2010 3:02:28 AM   
willy

Great opening sequence in this film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McDUIB9uzm8

"It's just the sort of bloody silly name they would choose!"
-Reginald Mitchell upon being told of the Air Ministry decision to call his new fighter aircraft the Spitfire.

(in reply to KHawk)
Post #: 19
RE: Question about the movie "Bridge at Remagan" - 5/29/2010 10:33:35 AM   
Doggie

The M-26 Pershing in Europe

quote:

On March 6, 1945, in the city of Cologne, a T26E3 knocked out a Panther tank in front of the Cologne Cathedral after the Panther had knocked out at least one M4 Sherman.[55] Dramatic newsreel footage of this action was recorded by a Signal Corps cameraman, which is now on YouTube.[56][57]

On the same day, another T26E3 was knocked out near Cologne, in the town of Niehl, by an 88mm self propelled gun (Nashorn), at a range of under 300 yards.[58]

Hunnicutt briefly mentions two other tank engagements involving the T26E3, with one Tiger I knocked out during the fighting around Cologne, and one Panzer IV knocked out at Mannheim.[59]

These are the only known combat actions between the T26E3 and German AFVs during World War II.

The T26E3s with the Ninth Armored Division saw action in fighting around the Roer River with one Pershing disabled by two hits from a 150mm German field gun.

Four T26E3s were involved in the Ninth Armored Division's dramatic dash to take the Bridge at Remagen, providing fire support to the infantry in order to take the bridgehead before the Germans could blow it up. The T26E3s were too large and heavy to cross the damaged bridge and waited for five days before getting across the river by barge. Of note, some of the Division's other tanks were able to cross the bridge.[60] Europe's bridges were in general not designed to hold heavy tanks, which had been another one of the original objections to sending a heavy tank to Europe.

Visit the New, Improved Mad Dog's Drive Thru

(in reply to willy)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Question about the movie "Bridge at Remagan" Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI