Wargamer Interview - is it true?

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

JudgeDredd

Wargamer Interview - is it true?

Post by JudgeDredd »

Are you giving out the Estab Editor with the BtfB? If so, that's great news for modders and scenario makers...if so, well done for listening and long may your game engine continue.

Oh - and I'd like a Barbarossa set of scenarios [&o]
Alba gu' brath
Arjuna

RE: Wargamer Interview - is it true?

Post by Arjuna »

Yeh sure thing Judge...next week be ok! [;)]
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
wodin

Post by wodin »

Hmmm....is this the announcement leaked?

Anyway if your giving away the est editor then what about new games?

I understood an East Front game would require russian combat doctrines to work realistically.

Not sure if its good news or bad...

Just read it...seems a good idea...lets hope it works well in the long run.

If this doesn't make the game sell like hot cakes nothing will.
Prince of Eckmühl

Post by Prince of Eckmühl »

Will the estab editor work with CotA and HttR?

[&:] Inquiring minds want to know! [&:]
Government is the opiate of the masses.
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

Dave, correct me if I'm wrong but the editor should work for COTA and HTTR. You would create an xml file with the estab manager, edit it in the estab editor, and recompile it.

The Wargamer article emphasizes WW2 combat but with the editor there is no reason you couldn't model an 1852 springfield and make a company of 19th century rifelmen or a battery of 10 pdr parrott guns.[;)]
simovitch

Prince of Eckmühl

Post by Prince of Eckmühl »

ORIGINAL: simovitch

The Wargamer article emphasizes WW2 combat but with the editor there is no reason you couldn't model an 1852 springfield and make a company of 19th century rifelmen or a battery of 10 pdr parrott guns.[;)]

Cool, we could have the Bengal Lancers charging Maxim-guns in Belgium!
Government is the opiate of the masses.
MajFrankBurns

Post by MajFrankBurns »

but with the editor there is no reason you couldn't model an 1852 springfield and make a company of 19th century rifelmen or a battery of 10 pdr parrott guns.Image

Great then the first edited game I want is "ZULU" and RORKE's DRIFT! Who cares about that old Battle of the Bulge anyways? We've played it out a 100 to 1000 times since puberty and the Allies always win. [:'(] We always pretend we are McAulliffe when Bastone gets surrounded and reply "Nuts!" to the German demand of surrender.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Yeah, but we never played BftB like this engine [:D]

Good news on the Estab Editor.
Alba gu' brath
wodin

Post by wodin »

Remember that the game is programmed to use combat doctrines of WW2.......Korea would work......WW 1 and before not sure....
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

ORIGINAL: simovitch

Dave, correct me if I'm wrong but the editor should work for COTA and HTTR. You would create an xml file with the estab manager, edit it in the estab editor, and recompile it.

Not so. It won't work with HTTR and COTA because the data structures are different. This would have required a lot of work and I made the decision to forego that so we could get it out now. Two of the options we need to put on the table for the future is to develop a version 2 of HTTR and COTA. These would effectively bring these games up to the same feature set and compatibility as BFTB. This may entail redoing these as full games in their own right or as expansion packs for BFTB.

True but as Wodin mentioned you are still contrained by the doctrine within the engine and this is for west front WW2. It will be effective in simulating much of the battles on the eastern front but won't cover all Soviet doctrine. It doesn't really model how Soviet Cav Corps were used for instance. Again doctrines will be part of the feature mix on the table for discussion.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
wodin

Post by wodin »

Not to worry about HTTR as that can be redone abyway with the est editor.

I'm looking forward to lots of user made WW2 West Front battles anyway....Caen comes to mind.

Normandy landings aswell. How about the invasion of France?

Can't wait.

I would like to see the East Front covered by Panther next. Then maybe go onto another conflict.

Just realised we could make scenarios for the Italian Campaign aswell!
MajFrankBurns

Post by MajFrankBurns »

I would like to see something in the Pacific done next as we have a ton of East Front games already. A Guadacanal land campaign comes to mind and then Iowa Jima and Tarawa and others. Yes, that's the ticket Pacific island hopping next please.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Never had much interest in the Pacific...being mainly a USA vs Japan conflict. Slogging through jungle and across small islands I imagine the game engine wouldn't really work. Its more of a tactical conflict then an operational one.

We have alot of East Front tiles yes (also alot of Pacific games out there)....but not with this engine[;)] Thats whats important. Get one East Front game out with an est editor and thats europe sorted...after that either the Pacific (can't see it working to well at this level, but hey Arjuna would be best to say, I wouldn't buy it, Squad Battlles Pacific fullfills me for that) or another conflict.

Another thing about the Pacific it would require an awfull lot of work to get the engine sorted for this conflict. Japanese combat doctrine...offmap naval arty...Jungle fighting combat docrtine...underground tunnels (Iwo Jima was a battle of underground tunnels and caves)

East front would just require the Russian Combat doctrine.

One day Major we might actually want the same thing[:D]
MajFrankBurns

Post by MajFrankBurns »

Russian front is just another slog through the snow the outcome is always the same the Germans will be overcome by resources and better tanks and more troups. It's a losing cause everytime one plays it on the German side.

Now slogging through the jungle that's the ticket. Never really knowing where your enemy is (unlike the Russian front where everything is right in front of you hehe) Also if there are that many scenarios (over 50 I believe) in HPS Pacific War Squad Battles then this engine would work perfectly for those types of tactical battles of squads. [:'(]

Nice try Wodin. [:-]
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I would also love to see more Pacific games. I'm intrigued with the island hopping and jungle warfare...but I simply can't see this engine working without a LOT of changes. The Steppes of Russia...the engine (imo) would shine. I hold out hope that the engine could be changed to account for The Pacific though...one day...
Alba gu' brath
wodin

Post by wodin »

ORIGINAL: MajFrankBurns

Russian front is just another slog through the snow the outcome is always the same the Germans will be overcome by resources and better tanks and more troups. It's a losing cause everytime one plays it on the German side.

Now slogging through the jungle that's the ticket. Never really knowing where your enemy is (unlike the Russian front where everything is right in front of you hehe) Also if there are that many scenarios (over 50 I believe) in HPS Pacific War Squad Battles then this engine would work perfectly for those types of tactical battles of squads. [:'(]

Nice try Wodin. [:-]

What is your problem.............????

If anyone is trying it on its you...your the one who started to post negative comments everytime I ask for something...

Grow up

Also you just said exactly why it would be hard for this game to work...its not squad level its comapny level....so just because HPS SB does it at squad level doesnt mean this engine can do it....totally different scales.

Your post proves to me you haven't even played one of the previous games to make a valid comment on what the engine can cope with at the present.

As JD said it would require alot of programming to work for the pacific. East Front wouldnt. Also it only snowed in the winter not all year around...plus the Germans won may battles in the East Front and as this game just does scenarios I can't see the problem you point out....

Your comments on why East Front would be bad and Pacific would be good just don't add up in any way with this particular game...your talking about some kind of german campaign covering the whole of the war (not in this game its not a grand operational level game, scenarios only) and tactical squad level combat in the pacific (again not in this game, its comapnies not squads).

You are starting to make my enjoyment of the Matrix forums plummet, I feel stalked so for that reason your now ignored by me in my settings...

your the first person in well over 13 years of forum use that I've had to ignore....well done!
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Wodin,

Please relax - I think you took that post a bit too seriously, he was not attacking you, I read it as friendly banter.

MajFrankBurns,

It's easy to be misunderstood on the internet, please keep that in mind when you post as I can also see how your post could be (and was) read differently from how I read it.

I would recommend we shake hands and move past this.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Cool....if it was just this I wouldn't have given it another thought....it's because of other posts I've made and the same thing has happened that ended up getting me a little mad. I've even apologised in a previous post as I reacted to him....it's happened again and I really would rather ignore him than shake hands and make up...as he never returned the favour last time if I recall.

I can't stand that finger wagging smiley...I find it quite offensive to be honest.

I will apologise to you Eric and other forum members....Disharmony isn't good on forums and can cause the website to get a bad name.

Sorry....I shall grow a thicker skin[:)]

Anyway roll on release...I look forward to all new games made by Panther...which considering it I will buy no matter the theatre of operations...the system is to fantastic to pass up.

SgtChaudart

Post by SgtChaudart »

It's a great new!!
this will enable this game a long lifetime.
But,what is the future of the upcoming games originally scheduled (East Front, North African, Pacific, Vietnam)?
If these games are still planned?
Is it mean these will be release like Add-on? Or, do you wait the player's wish for work on it?

PS : I hope I could play with BftB the next week[:)]!!
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

ORIGINAL: wodin
I can't stand that finger wagging smiley...I find it quite offensive to be honest.
You must've known this was going to happen [:-]

[:D][:D][:D][:D]
Alba gu' brath

Return to “Command Ops Series”