Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Best Forward Sub Base Set up?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Best Forward Sub Base Set up? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Best Forward Sub Base Set up? - 5/22/2010 12:53:08 AM   
Lrfss

Well being lazy and not wanting to read through the manual too much and since most of you have this in your heads, whats the best forward set up for my subs to arm w/ Torps and maybe do some non major repairs as well?

Lets say in a LvL 4, LvL 5 and LvL 6 size ports is what I have in mind.
1) If I read correctly I need at least an AS tender and will more than one in port matter?

2) Also I take it I need an HQ w/ Torps available within range or same hex, does it matter?

3) As well as a BF/Support type LCU with Nav Support of a certain amount depending on port size?

4) In so far as repairs I assume all of the other support ships for the most part will assist in repairs like the AR, ARD, AD, AVD, etc?

5) Will having an AKE or AE matter at all for Subs?

6) What's the best set up???

Thanks in advance!

Lrfss
Post #: 1
RE: Best Forward Sub Base Set up? - 5/22/2010 1:16:01 AM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lrfss

Well being lazy and not wanting to read through the manual too much and since most of you have this in your heads, whats the best forward set up for my subs to arm w/ Torps and maybe do some non major repairs as well?

Lets say in a LvL 4, LvL 5 and LvL 6 size ports is what I have in mind.
1) If I read correctly I need at least an AS tender and will more than one in port matter?

One will do it, assuming it is large enough. But remember rearming consumes supply so having more than one is like having an extra ammo box.

quote:

2) Also I take it I need an HQ w/ Torps available within range or same hex, does it matter?

Nope, an AS will do it. HQ torps are for aircraft.

quote:

3) As well as a BF/Support type LCU with Nav Support of a certain amount depending on port size?

Naval Support will help. An AS can do it on it's own, naval support lightens the load.

quote:

4) In so far as repairs I assume all of the other support ships for the most part will assist in repairs like the AR, ARD, AD, AVD, etc?

AV types don't repair. AS can repair subs. An AR gives more capability.

quote:

5) Will having an AKE or AE matter at all for Subs?

The AS is all you need.

quote:

6) What's the best set up???

Thanks in advance!

Lrfss

Depends on what you want. For a Brisbane like sub base, an AS, an AR, and a TK. Once the base gets big enough, or there is enough naval support at the base, you can dispense with the ship based support.

(in reply to Lrfss)
Post #: 2
RE: Best Forward Sub Base Set up? - 5/22/2010 2:24:00 AM   
topeverest

Allied forward sub bases - one of each depending on your warplan / possessions.

Attu / Adak / Dutch Harbor
Midway / Wake
Suva / Noumea
Townsville / Cairns / Cooktown / Port Moresby
Darwin / Koepang

And of course, as the allies advance, put one near the front of the axis of advance with AR, ARD, and AS. AD AKE also advisable.

Andy M

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 3
RE: Best Forward Sub Base Set up? - 5/22/2010 7:20:23 AM   
Lrfss

Thanks for the response guys!

It's 12/23/42, Jap AI:

Here's my problem and why I was wondering if I was missing something. Have a size 6 Port at Darwin w/ two AS's and Nav Support currently at 100 by a LCU along with many other support ships. Have an Air HQ w/ Torps equipped/set to 150. Have approx 78k in Fuel & Supply.

My Problem is that currently and for the last 4 turns the supply guys have failed to arm 6 subs, my CV TF of one CV/Avenger Sqd and three other Torp capable Air Sqds on the AF...??? No change in the Torp status in 4 days for any of them! I have disbanded and regrouped my TF's and tried the replenish buttons via sea & port also to no avail.

My Tenders are all docked in Port which I assume as it should be?

I was looking in the manuals' "Rearm Table" on pages 287 & 288 respectively wherein it shows the "Port plus Nav Suppt" required to rearm the diff weapon types which I assume would be a situation with a Port w/ no Aux Support type ships such as the AS in regard to Torps? I was going to add another Nav Support LCU to get the value up to 200 plus, however not sure it will make a differance with the Torp situation?

I can send my Boats and CV's to Brisbane, PH, West Coast, Columbo and they arm just fine with Torps?

Also can't seem to get mines to load up as well, the I assume there is a limit to how many can be in play at once?

Anyway would appreciate any thoughts on this!

Thanks,

Lrfss

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 4
RE: Best Forward Sub Base Set up? - 5/22/2010 7:28:19 AM   
Lrfss

quote:

ORIGINAL: topeverest

Allied forward sub bases - one of each depending on your warplan / possessions.

Attu / Adak / Dutch Harbor
Midway / Wake
Suva / Noumea
Townsville / Cairns / Cooktown / Port Moresby
Darwin / Koepang

And of course, as the allies advance, put one near the front of the axis of advance with AR, ARD, and AS. AD AKE also advisable.

Sounds good, thanks as it's about what I figured. Now is the thought of an "AKE or AE" at the base needed to arm the Sub's non-torp ammo or will the AS take care of that in respect to sub's only.

Funny thing is I go back to before the UV days and never really messed around with the Sub's much till now... And now I want my Sub Skipper's to have a score card like my pilots...LOL!

Thanks,

Lrfss

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 5
RE: Best Forward Sub Base Set up? - 5/22/2010 12:35:47 PM   
John Lansford

I've got AS ships at Akyab, Darwin, Lunga, Suva and Midway, with another one in transit to Tarawa.  When I take Eniwetok I'll move one there, and shift the Lunga ship to Kavieng once I've taken that location.  The base size is irrelevant as long as the AS is fully loaded and big enough to supply torpedoes.  If you've got multiple subs showing up in one turn though, one AS won't be able to handle all of them immediately.

(in reply to Lrfss)
Post #: 6
RE: Best Forward Sub Base Set up? - 5/22/2010 1:51:26 PM   
Misconduct

quote:

It's 12/23/42, Jap AI:

Here's my problem and why I was wondering if I was missing something. Have a size 6 Port at Darwin w/ two AS's and Nav Support currently at 100 by a LCU along with many other support ships. Have an Air HQ w/ Torps equipped/set to 150. Have approx 78k in Fuel & Supply.

My Problem is that currently and for the last 4 turns the supply guys have failed to arm 6 subs, my CV TF of one CV/Avenger Sqd and three other Torp capable Air Sqds on the AF...??? No change in the Torp status in 4 days for any of them! I have disbanded and regrouped my TF's and tried the replenish buttons via sea & port also to no avail.

I was looking in the manuals' "Rearm Table" on pages 287 & 288 respectively wherein it shows the "Port plus Nav Suppt" required to rearm the diff weapon types which I assume would be a situation with a Port w/ no Aux Support type ships such as the AS in regard to Torps? I was going to add another Nav Support LCU to get the value up to 200 plus, however not sure it will make a differance with the Torp situation?

I can send my Boats and CV's to Brisbane, PH, West Coast, Columbo and they arm just fine with Torps?

Also can't seem to get mines to load up as well, the I assume there is a limit to how many can be in play at once?

Thanks,

Lrfss

I would try making a TF With your AS and load supplies, sometimes my AKE (for example) which I use to rearm Battleships and carriers, run out of supplies in a Base that has 200k supplies and doesn't automatically load.

Second situation is possibly the AS already used up its OPs for a day, it can only do 1000, once it reaches close you have to wait to re-arm.

Carriers need an AKE to re-arm in a port, However I've been able to re-arm a carrier in size 5 port on my smaller carriers, you have to check the tonnage. Possible scenario is, if they docked and loaded fuel, then they need another turn to load planes/bombs - sometimes takes up to 1-3 turns to load everything depending how much OPS you use.

Not sure on mines - never used them or had any use.

ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7

(in reply to Lrfss)
Post #: 7
RE: Best Forward Sub Base Set up? - 5/22/2010 2:19:57 PM   
castor troy

best setup for me would be a level 6 port and 150 naval support. That´s enough to supply torps to subs and you don´t have to risk an AS to be sunk in port when being attacked.

(in reply to Misconduct)
Post #: 8
RE: Best Forward Sub Base Set up? - 5/22/2010 3:06:05 PM   
Lrfss

quote:

ORIGINAL: Misconduct

quote:

It's 12/23/42, Jap AI:

Thanks,

Lrfss

I would try making a TF With your AS and load supplies, sometimes my AKE (for example) which I use to rearm Battleships and carriers, run out of supplies in a Base that has 200k supplies and doesn't automatically load.

Second situation is possibly the AS already used up its OPs for a day, it can only do 1000, once it reaches close you have to wait to re-arm.

Carriers need an AKE to re-arm in a port, However I've been able to re-arm a carrier in size 5 port on my smaller carriers, you have to check the tonnage. Possible scenario is, if they docked and loaded fuel, then they need another turn to load planes/bombs - sometimes takes up to 1-3 turns to load everything depending how much OPS you use.

Not sure on mines - never used them or had any use.

K, thanks Misconduct / Caster Troy! I think it may be between the AS, AKE's and such not being loaded w/ supply or running out rather as I usually load them up w/ moving them and didn't think about it afterwards when in a Port w/ plenty of supply. So they don't auto load no doubt in Port...lol! A manual op only I guess. Gonna try that out and see along w/ the ops time frame thing as well...

Maybe the mines are somewhat of a similar situation? IIRC WITP had a limit on the number of total mines deployed at the same time which prob carried over to AE?

Thanks again guys!

Lrfss

(in reply to Misconduct)
Post #: 9
RE: Best Forward Sub Base Set up? - 5/23/2010 9:35:54 PM   
Bradley7735

The AS has to be disbanded in port, not docked in a task force. And, the AS has to have supply loaded.

The older I get, the better I was.

(in reply to Lrfss)
Post #: 10
RE: Best Forward Sub Base Set up? - 5/23/2010 9:45:51 PM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bradley7735

The AS has to be disbanded in port, not docked in a task force. And, the AS has to have supply loaded.

It does have to have supply, but it can be in a TF or in port - depending on the replenish option used. For "Replenish from Port" and for auto sub ops, it must indeed by in the port. But it can still function in a TF if "Replenish at Sea" is selected.

(in reply to Bradley7735)
Post #: 11
RE: Best Forward Sub Base Set up? - 5/23/2010 11:37:26 PM   
Bradley7735

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bradley7735

It does have to have supply, but it can be in a TF or in port - depending on the replenish option used. For "Replenish from Port" and for auto sub ops, it must indeed by in the port. But it can still function in a TF if "Replenish at Sea" is selected.

Thanks Don. I didn't know that.

The older I get, the better I was.

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Best Forward Sub Base Set up? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI