Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers required
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Modding Issues - Crashes / Limits?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Tech Support >> Modding Issues - Crashes / Limits? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Modding Issues - Crashes / Limits? - 5/20/2010 12:53:02 PM   
Haree78

I've been attempting to create a Theme that has a new race including everything new except ship images. It was going fine at first as I had new race image and updated races.txt but after a lot of updates I had problems.

I have the following new:

[dialog] race.txt < named after my race [music] < tons of mp3 files from various sci fi [raceImages] race_18.png race_18a.png

about.png about.txt designs.txt races.txt

All I have done is replaced one races values in the races.txt with my own values. I have then added a bunch of new ship names in the designs for my own race. Then I have taken the base dialog file and changed the text for my race.

ISSUES I have found so far:

1)When I had something like 50+ ship names for designs.txt line 10 I could not start a new game. It would say "Could not start game" or something similar when I tried to with this theme. I worked it out to be designs.txt as when I removed it the game would start. I cut the amount of ship names back more and more until I eventually got down to 37 ship names which I think is the same as what the default has and eventually I could start a game. Is there a limit per line on the amount of names I can put or a limit on characters? If not what was the limit I was hitting?

2)Finally I got the theme to be able to load but the game would crash about 3-4 minutes in to a game. I transfered the theme on to a laptop to be able to fix today. But to my surprise I got a "Could not start game" with the exact same theme. So I had a thought (mainly because of the amount of time before a crash on my main PC) that I took out the music from my theme. And bingo I was able to start a game and as far as I could tell the game played for longer than I was getting on my main PC but I couldn't test extensively (as I'm at work ).

The music folder contains 68 music files, 2 movie/tv show soundtracks and the Homeworld soundtrack, with one track renamed to be the menu music. I was using this music folder no problem in a theme before, the only thing has changed is a lot more bespoke stuff for my theme than before.

If it is at all relevant I am using apostrophes in my ship names, theme name etc, as in: Some'thing Seems to work fine but don't know if this is causing the funnies I am seeing.

Parsing the files multiple times with my eyes reveals nothing obvious.
Post #: 1
RE: Modding Issues - Crashes / Limits? - 5/20/2010 12:57:30 PM   
Haree78

Just thought I should add I was using 1.0.4.6 /1.0.4.7

1.0.4.7 on my main PC, 1.0.4.6 on my laptop.

EDIT: Scrap that it is 1.0.4.7 on both, I was mistaken.

< Message edited by Haree78 -- 5/20/2010 4:06:38 PM >

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Tech Support >> Modding Issues - Crashes / Limits? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI