Matrix Games Forums

New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Infantry Costs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Infantry Costs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Infantry Costs - 5/13/2010 8:09:12 PM   
gunny3013

I know that infantry units cost each turn unless placed in a city or fort.
Q: Does an infantry unit in a "container" in a city of fort cost?

Thanks,
Joey
Post #: 1
RE: Infantry Costs - 5/13/2010 9:44:41 PM   
Randomizer

Be very careful about placing container units into cities or forts.  If you lose a battle in a province where you have done this the city is automatically captured when the friendly units retreat after combat.  This causes the city to change hands immediately and without a siege since it seems like the retreating container unit pulls the brigades out of garrison when it has to retreat and takes them along for the ride.  The now ungarrisoned city is then picked off at turn's end.  Once lost Cincinnatti to the AI this way and while it really sucked, it drove home the message "DO NOT garrison cities with container units of any size".  I would assume the same applies to forts but have not tried it out.

Am unsure if this is working as designed but it actually makes some sense when you look at from a chain-of-command standpoint and the relationship between State troops who (generally) provided the garrisons and those of the field forces under Federal command and represented by the container units.

I know this happens with container units in cities but am fairly sure that there are no maintenance costs incurred as per the manual. 

< Message edited by Randomizer -- 5/13/2010 9:46:11 PM >

(in reply to gunny3013)
Post #: 2
RE: Infantry Costs - 5/22/2010 4:19:20 AM   
Mad Russian

I was under the impression it was exactly the opposite. You must capture both the region around the city and the city itself in separate combats if the city is garrisoned.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to Randomizer)
Post #: 3
RE: Infantry Costs - 5/22/2010 8:34:14 AM   
gunny3013

Guys! Common, ya got off topic. I never have issues using containers to garrison cities or forts. They defend very well and never retreat.
As for my original question, I ask because the manual ONLY covers no maintenance cost for infantry units but states nothing for containers and I don't seem to see any difference.

Can you help?
Thanks,
Joey

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 4
RE: Infantry Costs - 5/22/2010 7:08:55 PM   
Gil R.

To be honest, my memory of this isn't 100% clear, but I believe that they don't cost supply, if in a "container" in a city or fort. But you can check this easily enough by paying attention to which unit(s) are in this situation and checking the "supply" tab's report to see if any supply went their way. Perhaps set the container to high supply and see what happened.

(in reply to gunny3013)
Post #: 5
RE: Infantry Costs - 5/22/2010 10:33:03 PM   
Mad Russian

I thought a fort actually functioned as a container. But like you I am going to need to go look it up before being 100% sure.

Good Hunting.

MR

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 5/22/2010 10:34:02 PM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 6
RE: Infantry Costs - 5/23/2010 2:23:41 AM   
Gil R.

Well, forts are containers, but my recollection is that there are containers and there are containers.

Post #: 7
RE: Infantry Costs - 5/23/2010 1:47:22 PM   
Mad Russian

You know you can't walk away from that statement without clarifying it.

MR

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 8
RE: Infantry Costs - 5/24/2010 12:22:48 AM   
gunny3013

LOL !!!  Now I'm really Wrapped around the axle. Thanks guys. 

Post #: 9
RE: Infantry Costs - 5/25/2010 3:44:03 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

You know you can't walk away from that statement without clarifying it.

MR

Well, some containers move around a lot, and are abstract: armies, corps, divisions. Others are unable to move, and are located at a specific point on the map: cities, forts. It is my recollection -- and again, it's been a few years since I've had to think about this -- that if you put one of the first types of container into one of the second types then supply will be "free." I could be wrong about this, but as I pointed out, it should be easy enough to test by looking at the supply report that one gets by clicking on the "Supply" tab.

Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Infantry Costs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI