Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Stalingrad, the Movie

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Stalingrad, the Movie Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Stalingrad, the Movie - 5/8/2010 11:49:37 PM   
Arctic Blast

Yep, Downfall is an amazing movie. Definitely see it.

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 31
RE: Stalingrad, the Movie - 5/9/2010 12:05:55 AM   
Bamilus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Obsolete

The one part I'll never forget is when the one general was talking to Zhukov, and they had the English text translation super-imposed over the Russian-to-German translation.  Ugh, that was impossible to read!

Hah! Yea, it was Russian dialogue with German subtitles and then English subtitles on top of the German subtitles. I had to re watch that part a few times.

Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 32
RE: Stalingrad, the Movie - 5/9/2010 12:37:47 AM   
sulla05

Is " Downfall " the movie that people have used to spoof Vista and other products? You can see Hitler yelling at his generals and the subtitiles are funny as hell.

If that's the movie I've seen it and it is by far the best about the end of the Third reich.

Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
6 Gb DD3
ATI 5800

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 33
RE: Stalingrad, the Movie - 5/9/2010 12:39:29 AM   
Bamilus

quote:

ORIGINAL: sulla05

Is " Downfall " the movie that people have used to spoof Vista and other products? You can see Hitler yelling at his generals and the subtitiles are funny as hell.

If that's the movie I've seen it and it is by far the best about the end of the Third reich.

Yep, that's the one :D

Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee

(in reply to sulla05)
Post #: 34
RE: Stalingrad, the Movie - 5/9/2010 5:42:35 AM   
D.Ilse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Obsolete

quote:

..The Downfall....what a film....Bruno is superb as Hitler. The man who played Goebbles was damn scary looking...a little to tall aswell..

I thought Anthony Hopkins did well as a Hitler as well.  As for that Goebbles guy, he did in deed look a bit frightening.  The best I can describe it, is his face looked like a skull.  My girlfriend says the same thing about Christopher Walken for some reason.

The one part I'll never forget is when the one general was talking to Zhukov, and they had the English text translation super-imposed over the Russian-to-German translation.  Ugh, that was impossible to read!

Walken's hair has always frightened me, if he even let it loose on the public, it would be worse than the zombie plague.

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 35
RE: Stalingrad, the Movie - 5/9/2010 6:43:50 AM   
D.Ilse

Top Ten WWII film/series of Panzer's Media viewing pleasure.

1. Tali-Ihantala 1944...I have to say this just for the StuGs alone(also why I can watch Mr.Bean's Holiday cause of the StuG III G in it)

2. Yamato, First Japanese made film I bought on WWII, subject is the last voyage of the Supership and based around a 25mm AA crew.
This film is well done, the effects are outstanding, they actually built a set of part of the ship in 1:1. This film has made me look for the film "I will die for you" about a Divine Wind flight group in the closing of the war.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjEQlvmXyrk&playnext_from=TL&videos=msuu687KSfs
^ trailer for I will die for you

3. Beyond Enemy Lines, Which follows a group of Swede volunteers in the Finnish Army '42-44

4. El Alamein, prob the best film about the Italians in WW II, although Attack and Retreat(Italians in Russia) is close IMO

5. Enemy at the Door, BBC miniseries of the occupation of the channel islands, 2 seasons. Also see the series Island at War for something akin to this one.

6. Kokoda, prob one of my favorite films of the PTO, which I am not a fan of I admit, but this little known campaign(in the US atleast) def kept my attention

7. Piece of Cake, favorite film of the RAF.

8. Band of Brothers, even though it's got it flaws, and can be a bit cliche' at times, still for a 10pt series, it was/is very well done, and still holds it own against the newer The Pacific series

9. Das Boot. Full 4 hour mini-series, if you haven't seen this verison, you haven't seen anything. So much better than the common copy of the movie.

10.The Train..being a war and rail fan, this is one i can always watch

< Message edited by D.Ilse -- 5/9/2010 6:55:10 AM >

(in reply to D.Ilse)
Post #: 36
RE: Stalingrad, the Movie - 5/9/2010 9:32:16 AM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: D.Ilse

mmm...no Von Ryans Express? I loved that one!

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to D.Ilse)
Post #: 37
RE: Stalingrad, the Movie - 5/9/2010 9:36:22 AM   
JudgeDredd

I liked the look of Yamato by the way

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 38
RE: Stalingrad, the Movie - 5/9/2010 9:54:09 AM   
D.Ilse

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

quote:

mmm...no Von Ryans Express? I loved that one!

The train is better, but Burt Landcaster did his own stunts. Plus scenes like replacing the burnt bearings in the driving rod of a loco(cause of sabotage by another engineer) is just interesting. The Armoured train in the marshalling yard is also great for eye candy/model builders.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 39
RE: Stalingrad, the Movie - 5/9/2010 11:20:04 AM   
JudgeDredd

Oh - you like trains like that

I don't think I've ever seen The Train...

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to D.Ilse)
Post #: 40
RE: Stalingrad, the Movie - 5/9/2010 5:26:32 PM   
D.Ilse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNh_1w0G_lA

Trailer for the train.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 41
RE: Stalingrad, the Movie - 5/9/2010 9:22:12 PM   
jackx

quote:

6. Kokoda, prob one of my favorite films of the PTO, which I am not a fan of I admit, but this little known campaign(in the US atleast) def kept my attention

Eye-stabbing goodness, and interesting movie.

Downfall for me will always come down to "Das ist ja Artillerie :o", mainly because it's used as a sample in a Panzerchrist song, but also because it just about sums up the Fräuleinwunder ;)

no truth - no justice
all false belief
blinded by morality
there shall be ... no peace

(in reply to D.Ilse)
Post #: 42
RE: Stalingrad, the Movie - 5/11/2010 7:53:29 AM   
E

quote:

For Das Boot, it needs to be in German, with subs for the non-speakers and needs to be the proper 4 hour verison not the cut down US market movie-verison.

Actually, I found the 5 & 1/2+ hour version even more enjoyable than the cut down 4 hour version. An interesting movie trivia is that even the German dialogue was dubbed (sound constraints on the set required even the original German be dubbed from minute on in the planning of the movie).

(in reply to D.Ilse)
Post #: 43
RE: Stalingrad, the Movie - 5/12/2010 6:25:32 AM   
D.Ilse

I just looked at my copy. 293mins. so it's over 4hrs long..jeez I remember heckling a friend for sitting through the extened LOTR movies back to back at a screening last summer at the kino. I guess I am just as bad with my war flicks.

(in reply to E)
Post #: 44
RE: Stalingrad, the Movie - 5/12/2010 8:53:43 AM   
E

quote:

I just looked at my copy. 293mins. so it's over 4hrs long..jeez I remember heckling a friend for sitting through the extened LOTR movies back to back at a screening last summer at the kino. I guess I am just as bad with my war flicks.

Okay, so you do have the uncut version and not the director's 4 hr or the movie 2 hr versions. But I agree on needing the subtitles, no matter which language you use (otherwise a couple of parts make no sense when translated to dubbed english, but make sense in the subtitle translations).

(in reply to D.Ilse)
Post #: 45
RE: Stalingrad, the Movie - 5/13/2010 3:40:14 AM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bamilus

quote:

ORIGINAL: sulla05

Yep, that's the one :D

Oh, that movie! I've seen it! :)

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 46
RE: Stalingrad, the Movie - 5/13/2010 4:08:52 PM   
Obsolete

I can tell you one movie NOT TO WATCH.  Welcome to a recently WWI movie (Canadian made) called:
The Road to Passchendaele
Now, I don't want to spoil anything for you, but the preview alone may give you hints it's another one of those Patriotic-Propagandist movies you can expect to come out of Hollywood normally.  Well, I have not see the whole movie yet so I can't say for a fact, but it seems others who watched it tell me so, and I'll take their word for it.

In fact, the reason I haven't watched the whole thing was because I watched only one part of it... which was a battle scene and was so bad (realistically) you almost don't know if they are trying to be serious.  Just to give you an idea... it will give you lots of nostalgia from those much older Hollywood movies where you could always expect a Squad of Americans walking through the Jungle of their enemy's territory.  And coming out of battle without a scratch.

Sure enough dozens... or hundreds of dirty Japs pop-up from their concealment and all come out the wood-work as they charge in the open at our highly outnumbered American heros.  Now, why would you leave such a great concealment to go into the open beats me, and doesn't make sense for a good ambush, but we are to accept that was the Asian way :P

As they do this in those kind of movies, don't forget the rule was for each of the enemies to raise their hands up in the air as they yelled "Iyayayayayayayayayayayayayaya!"  (Why?  I don't know, I guess because some director thought it would SOUND SCARY!?  And of course, as they all do this they used to impale themselves upon the barrels of the Americans.  Why do that?  Once again, I don't know, and I don't know any Japanese here who could tell me a reason either, Hmm.  Very strange to me why the Japanese can't even explain why they themselves did this, particularly since Japan holds the worlds #1 rank in education for quite some time. 

Well, this new movie sure gave me  a LOT of that nostalgia from the past, so now you can see what I'm getting at.  I wouldn't go as far as to say it was the worst war movie made, and that's the only good thing I can say about it from what I've seen so far.  It sure seems to me Hollywood is coming full circle again, and it feels annoying to let such terrible scriptwriters get away with such hack jobs.

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 47
RE: Stalingrad, the Movie - 5/13/2010 5:06:55 PM   
t001001001

I thought Stalingrad was quite interesting. One guy shoots his buddy on accident b/c he got startled. Another guy tells his buds he danged near got killed and now walks unhappy w/ **** in his pants. It probably captures a bit of how awful it was to be there.

In the scene where the german squad is trying to sneak, one soldier drops his weapon and whispers something like: "sheeeza !!!!!" I didn't need the subtitle to know what he'd said.

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 48
RE: Stalingrad, the Movie - 5/14/2010 9:07:05 AM   
D.Ilse

Anyone see the recently made Russian Film on the seige of Brest in 1941?

That's one I need to grab on DVD, as the trailer looked good.

Also is recent German-made Red Baron film on DVD in Europe. They keep saying it's going to be a US theater release, but never shows up..alot like the film Little Iron Men, about the 100/442 RCT in the Vosges.

< Message edited by D.Ilse -- 5/14/2010 9:08:56 AM >

(in reply to t001001001)
Post #: 49
RE: Stalingrad, the Movie - 5/15/2010 10:32:32 PM   
Terminus

Well, nobody NEEDS to watch Stalingrad or Der Untergang dubbed if they don't want to.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 50
RE: Stalingrad, the Movie - 5/16/2010 1:57:54 AM   
Doggie

quote:

but the preview alone may give you hints it's another one of those Patriotic-Propagandist movies you can expect to come out of Hollywood normally.

You mean like these:

Air America (1990)
All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)
All Quiet on the Western Front (1979)
The Americanization of Emily (1964)

Ballad of a Soldier (1959)
Baghdad ER (2006)
Barefoot Gen (1983)
The Battle of Algiers (1967)
The Bedford Incident (1965)
Birdy (1983)
Blood Diamond (2006)
Born on the Fourth of July (1989)
The Boys in Company C (1978)
Boy Soldiers (1990)
Brothers (2009)
Bullet in the Head (1990)
By Dawn's Early Light (1990)
The Burmese Harp (1956)
Canadian Bacon (1995)
Casualties of War (1989)
Catch 22 (1970)
Cavalcade (1933)
The Children of An Lac (1980)[1]
Children of Men (2006)
Coming Home (1978)
Come and See (1985)
Crimson Tide (1995)
The Day After (1983)
The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
The Dawn Patrol (1938)
The Deer Hunter (1978)
The Devil's Brigade (1968)
Die Brücke (1959)
The Dirty Dozen (1967)
Dirty War (2004)
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
Fahrenheit 9/11 (2004)
Fail Safe (2000)
Fail-Safe (1964)
First Blood (1982)
Flags of Our Fathers (2006)
F.T.A. (1972)
Full Metal Jacket (1987)
Gallipoli (1981)
Gardens of Stone (1987)
Go Tell the Spartans (1978)
Good Guys Wear Black (1977)
Good Morning, Vietnam (1987)
Hamburger Hill (1987)
The Hanoi Hilton (1987)
Hearts and Minds (1974)
Heaven & Earth (1993)
Hell Is for Heroes (1962)
High Treason (1928)
Hiroshima Mon Amour (1959)
Home of the Brave (2006)
How I Won the War (1967)
The Hurt Locker (2008)
In Country (1989)
In the Valley of Elah (2007)
Jacknife (1989)
J'accuse (1919)
Jacob's Ladder (1990)
Jarhead (2005)
Johnny Got His Gun (1971)
Kelly's Heroes (1970)
Ladybug Ladybug (1963)
Les Carabiniers (1963)
Letters from Iwo Jima (2006)
Lions for Lambs (2007)
The Manchurian Candidate (1962)
M*A*S*H (1970)
The Memory of Justice (1978)
The Men (1950)
Men in War (1957)
Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence (1983)
No Man's Land (2001)
Oh! What A Lovely War (1969)
On the Beach (1957)
The Panama Deception (1992)
Paths of Glory (1957)
Platoon (1986)
Redacted (2007)
Rendition (2007)
The Road To Guantanamo (2006)
Salvador (1986)
The Sand Pebbles (1966)
Sir! No Sir! (2006)
Slaughterhouse-Five (1972)
Soldier Blue (1970)
Stop-Loss (2008)
Taking Chance (2009)
Taxi Driver (1976)

Whew, that's quite a list, huh? There's lots more. And not one of them would qualilfy as "Patriotic Propaganda", at least in my uneducated opinion. But then I didn't go to college in Europe so I don't know it all.

quote:

Sure enough dozens... or hundreds of dirty Japs pop-up from their concealment and all come out the wood-work as they charge in the open at our highly outnumbered American heros. Now, why would you leave such a great concealment to go into the open beats me, and doesn't make sense for a good ambush, but we are to accept that was the Asian way :P

My relatives who fought the Japanese in World War II called that a "Banzai charge", and according to them, the Japanese did it a lot. But what do they know? They didn't go to college in Europe either.

Visit the New, Improved Mad Dog's Drive Thru

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 51
RE: Stalingrad, the Movie - 5/16/2010 3:58:08 AM   
D.Ilse

Ordered the Japanese Kamakazi movie, FOR THOSE WE LOVE, for 16$(Japanese Region) and Tobruk(2008) this weekend.

< Message edited by D.Ilse -- 5/16/2010 4:03:53 AM >

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 52
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Stalingrad, the Movie Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI