Matrix Games Forums

New information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Civil War General

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Civil War General Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Civil War General - 4/18/2010 1:42:30 PM   
Anthropoid

That was a fantastic game. One of the best Tactical AIs I've ever played against I think. I had it working on my laptop a couple years ago by running it in Windows 1993 mode and fiddling with the screen resolution. Have not tried to run it on any of my more recent machines.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

Here is the quote from Gil,

''-- we will first be producing a series of releases using a greatly modified version of the FOF tactical engine for historical battles, starting with 1st Bull Run and a few other early battles. More on this soon... ''

mo reb

Yes, indeed. I've just spent the past hour trying to plot out where the fences between Brawner Farm and the Groveton-Sudley Road should go. Trying to get long, straight fences to fit into a hex system is just a royal pain...

Hey Gil, if you guys have not yet done so, you really must, MUST, _MUST_ get hold of Civil War Generals 2 and play it!

< Message edited by Anthropoid -- 4/18/2010 1:44:31 PM >

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 31
RE: Civil War General - 4/18/2010 3:55:49 PM   
Obsolete

About that HPS title, I'll take a look, though I'm not sure how certain battle scenarios could be realistic, and yet playable at the same time.  Though for a fun time-waster, I used to enjoy playing the lop-sided Kernstown map in CWG where the South was dwarfed by the North.  My favourite moment was when I had captured the entire collection of the North forces,minus only 1 or 2 tiny units which I had totally routed and prevent from escaping off the map through the supply train.

At that moment, I realized I must have played that map a little TOO much :P

By the way, another Civil War game I have on my desk, and the only one I still play now and then is the Shattered Union.  Sometimes it's a bit ARCADEY with the power-up thing, and I find it humorous how units at only 1 strength can attack with the same power as when they are 28 STR, but that's console-based wargames for you.

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 32
RE: Civil War General - 4/18/2010 6:48:39 PM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid
Hey Gil, if you guys have not yet done so, you really must, MUST, _MUST_ get hold of Civil War Generals 2 and play it!

I'd really like to, but I try not to let other computer games influence my thinking during a game's development phase. Once the game is released I think it would definitely be fun to see what it's like. (Of course, all games are influenced by previous games, often deliberately, but it's my preference to come up with ideas for rules and features on my own.)

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 33
RE: Civil War General - 4/19/2010 4:45:37 PM   
Anthropoid

Me I have more of a scientist's perspective than a jazz musician's perspective. Example, got an manuscript right here that is literally a couple hours from going out the door for submission. I modelled it VERY closely on a preceding paper that is now four years old. Now granted, that previous paper was looking at cognitive function in alcoholics and I'm looking at it in WoW gamers, but . . . I just think that "not reinventing" the wheel can be pretty awesome. Plus, even with a fairly small set of "Byzantine Art Templates" with permutations, you can get an almost infinite number of different combinations, and it is often the coupling of elements that have not been coupled in the past which is most compelling.

But anyway. Given how creative you guys are, I'm sure its gonna be another awesome game!

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 34
RE: Civil War General - 4/19/2010 5:33:52 PM   
tevans6220

Queston for Gil

Is the new system you guys are working on going to be a battle at a time, a series of battles or campaigns or a few battles with an editor so that we can design our own? Reason I ask is I'd be more willing to buy if it was in the campaign or design your own type mode. Not sure I want to pay for each battle seperately even if they are well designed. That's a lot of scratch just to get all the big battles.

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 35
RE: Civil War General - 4/19/2010 5:53:48 PM   
Gil R.

tevans6220,

It will be a group of battles, with several scenarios for each, in each release. We will not release a map-editor, at least not until the series is at or nearing its close. Other than the map itself, the game will be highly moddable, with just about everything done through data files. (If people want to shoulder the burden of researching and creating maps for battles we might otherwise not do, we'll consider working with them on the project on a case by case basis. Using the map-editor to assign all the terrain types takes several hours, but isn't that hard -- it's getting the map sketched out and then actually drawn that is an ungodly amount of work. So if someone really, really wants the Battle of Ball's Bluff so that he can release it as a mod, I'd probably work with him on it, so long as all I'm doing is map-editing -- an activity I can do while watching TV, since I'm a highly trained professional.)

The "coming soon" forum should be up shortly, so I'll be able to go into more detail there. But since you're no doubt wondering, the first release will have 1st Bull Run, Wilson's Creek, Williamsburg and Mill Springs (both the Logan's Cross Roads area and Beech Grove, in two maps). Maps will be up to 5 x 10 miles, meaning that there will be some pretty large movement areas, and not just the areas of the main fighting.

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 4/26/2010 10:24:20 PM >

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.

(in reply to tevans6220)
Post #: 36
RE: Civil War General - 4/19/2010 6:15:15 PM   
tevans6220

Gil

I'm sold. Can I suggest that you release your battle packs as campaigns instead? You could still have seperate battles but all the battles for a particular campaign. For example you could do all the battles for the Peninsula campaign or the Gettysburg campaign. Even different days of the same battle. Going the campaign route you could do the same for Napoleonics. Anyways just a suggestion. I'll look in the new forum for more info.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 37
RE: Civil War General - 4/19/2010 7:13:24 PM   
Gil R.

We thought about that, but having a campaign-based game that tracks casualties and that sort of thing would be an enormous amount of work, on top of what had to be done for the battles themselves.

How we group battles really depends on how successful the series is. Right now, we could cover all the major battles in about six releases. But if the series is a hit then we could draw it out, including more lesser battles. This first release, as you can no doubt tell, is devoted to the opening battles: the first major one in Virginia, the first battle between the Army of the Potomac and Army of Northern Virginia (not yet named that, of course) the following spring, the first battle in the western theater, and the small but pivotal battle initiating the 1862 fighting in the west. So there is an obvious thematic link there, even if they're from four different campaigns. Our second release will cover some of the Seven Days Battles and 2nd Manassas, so that release will be more along the lines of what you're hoping for. But as I say, our ability to do more campaign-themed releases depends on sales: we can either do a "Final Battles of the Civil War" release that mixes in one Atlanta battle, Bentonville, Five Forks and something else at Petersburg, or we could do an entire "Atlanta and Beyond" campaign and Petersburg campaign. (But that's a decision at least a year or two away...)

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 4/19/2010 7:14:26 PM >

(in reply to tevans6220)
Post #: 38
RE: Civil War General - 4/19/2010 7:50:15 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

Me I have more of a scientist's perspective than a jazz musician's perspective. Example, got an manuscript right here that is literally a couple hours from going out the door for submission. I modelled it VERY closely on a preceding paper that is now four years old. Now granted, that previous paper was looking at cognitive function in alcoholics and I'm looking at it in WoW gamers, but . . .

How will you get the rats to play WOW ?

"Games lubricate the body and the mind" Ben Franklin.

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 39
RE: Civil War General - 4/21/2010 3:03:09 AM   
Gil R.

By the way, that "coming soon" forum is now up. So, WCS's new Civil War game can be discussed there, and this thread can be just for CWG.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 40
RE: Civil War General - 4/21/2010 12:08:24 PM   
jackx

Good news - and to kinda get back to the original topic, can anyone confirm that the DL linked earlier in the thread works? All I get is 7zip complaining about corrupt archives, for both the .rar and .zip.

no truth - no justice
all false belief
blinded by morality
there shall be ... no peace

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 41
RE: Civil War General - 4/21/2010 2:40:05 PM   
cmurphy625

I downloaded... but then, it said something about needing an app called windings, which is 32 bit? and won't work on 64 bit Windows?

(in reply to jackx)
Post #: 42
RE: Civil War General - 4/21/2010 8:05:50 PM   
jackx

I'll re-DL then, see what I get this time.

no truth - no justice
all false belief
blinded by morality
there shall be ... no peace

(in reply to cmurphy625)
Post #: 43
RE: Civil War General - 10/17/2010 4:53:10 AM   
Obsolete

It's been a while, so I'm bumping this one back up as I've just started to get back into the nostalgic mood after finding one of the cwg2 patches finally makes it compatible with Vista (sort of).

Anyone still playing this?

(in reply to jackx)
Post #: 44
RE: Civil War General - 10/17/2010 7:02:22 AM   
Obsolete

Hmm, my upgraded WhittWorths are getting a little too over-powered now...

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 45
RE: Civil War General - 10/17/2010 8:26:14 AM   
Obsolete

Well that didn't last long before I got knocked off my high horse...

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 46
RE: Civil War General - 10/19/2010 1:40:43 AM   
KG Erwin

Thanks for reminding me of this. Yes, it is a challenging game, and best of all, you can now get it for free! It runs fine on XP when you set the compatibility mode to Windows 95. Sure, the graphics are dated, but, just like SPWAW, it's a classic which every wargamer should have.

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 47
RE: Civil War General - 10/19/2010 4:21:40 PM   
Razz

Umm.. I remember CWG, I don't think I have II

Age of rifles was another good game too.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 48
RE: Civil War General - 10/19/2010 11:12:38 PM   
Obsolete

CWG2 was a bit of a cash-cow package, mimicking the Firaxis Style of re-selling the same game with a few extra gimmicks. I believe CWG2 had only a few more boats, and they added more leaders.

The first one had much nicer campaign designing, and I miss that black guy talking during the intro each scenario.

(in reply to Razz)
Post #: 49
RE: Civil War General - 10/20/2010 10:28:11 AM   
chijohnaok

Deleted

< Message edited by chijohnaok -- 10/20/2010 10:37:27 AM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 50
RE: Civil War General - 10/20/2010 10:38:49 AM   
chijohnaok

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anguille

CWG2 is still my favorite game about the American Civil War....

I'll 2nd that.

(in reply to Anguille)
Post #: 51
RE: Civil War General - 10/22/2010 4:49:29 AM   
Greybriar

I played Robert E. Lee: Civil War General a lot back in the day. I purchased the sequel but didn't play nearly as much of it as I did the original game--I was probably burned out.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to chijohnaok)
Post #: 52
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Civil War General Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI