From: The Big Nowhere
The biggest problem is that if you have allies, they will send a colony ship across the map to colonize in your back yard, even if they have plenty of suitable planets in their own neighborhood.
And with non-allies...never, ever trade maps...they'll suck up every good planet you found if you do.
1. never trade maps with anyone, allied or non...
2. Are free trade agreement considered allies or only mutual defense pact or protectorates? because i don't do defense pacts. the extra 5% trade is not worth it.
It's only the allies with MDPs that tend to do it. Also in the case of the MDP, it doesn't matter on the map, seems like it is automatic. I can see everything that goes on in an allies space.
Personally I think we need more diplomatic options and modify existing ones:
MUTUAL DEFENSE PACT: This is an agreement to come to the aid of an empire if the empire is attacked. It is not a trade of strategic information, like star maps. While it is an alliance, it is not the ultimate level of alliance. With a mutal defense pact, the following should apply:
1. Borders are respected. AI empires shall not build in systems that you already control, and vice-versa.
2. If you or an ally are attacked, a message is sent with the coordinates of the attack and who the perpetrator is.
3. MDP is not an intelligence or mapping agreement, it is simply an agreement to help each other in case of attack...no other bonuses.
ALLIANCE: This is the full, we share everything equally alliance. This is the ultimate diplomatic agreement and as such should be extremely hard to get. At this level, system sharing, map sharing, rare resource trading, etc are included and automatic...even so much as migration of people of both empires to planets already colonized by the other empire. How I would set it up:
1. This is basically a no borders treaty. Everything is shared starmaps and realtime intelligence.
2. System sharing on by default. You can build anything in their territory with no penalties, and vice-versa.
3. Migration allowed: This is a checkbox per planet and is OFF by default. This allows you to gain population via civilian means. If a planet is checked 'allow migration' then members of the Alliance species may move their through civilian means.
4. Shared bonuses. If you are allied, then you are sharing expertise and research. Gain of bonus would be capped at 33% of total. Example: species A has a 60% bonus in research, so under an alliance species B will gain a 20% bonus from the alliance.
5. Automatic trade of rare resources.
6. The benefit of an alliance is your allies will only get mad for attacks or spying on them, or if you do something completely evil in the galaxy...
BASING AGREEMENT: This is an agreement between 2 empires that allows a base or station to be built in a specific location. The location must be specified, and each new base requires a new agreement. Also, the building empire would be required to pay a yearly 'leasing' fee to the empire that agrees to allow the base.
1. Once agreed to, a construction ship is sent to the specified planet and the base type agreed on built.
2. This costs you a fee to be paid yearly until the agreement is cancelled.
3. If the agreement is cancelled, then the empire that owns the territory takes control of the base.
SETTLEMENT AGREEMENT: This is an agreement that allows 1 empire to colonize a planet inside another empires systems. This is not an open colonization, but rather the agreement allows a specified planet to be colonized.
1. Allows you to specify and receive permission to colonize a planet in a system 'owned' by another empire.
2. Allows for you to move to and from the colony without harrassment, and keep a small defensive fleet present.
3. With the agreement, negative modifiers to diplomacy that would normally occur are eliminated.
ADVANCED TRADE AGREEMENT: This is a higher level of the free trade agreement.
1. Gives a 'trade bonus' to both empires.
2. Allows for the automatic trading of rare resources.
3. Like the Alliance, this agreement is harder to achieve than its base, the free trade agreement.
MINING AGREEMENT: This agreement allows empires to build mining stations in each other's territory without penalties. The catch is the 'tarrif' that give half of the resource to the other empire.
1. Allows free and open building of mining stations in another empires territory.
2. Resource collection rate is at 50% for the building empire. The emipre that 'owns' the system where the station is built also gains a 50% extraction rate for the resources harvested.
3. No negative modifiers.
4. Another hard to acquire agreement.
TOURISM AGREEMENT: This agreement allows empires to build resorts in each others territory. 25% of the profits go to the host empire.
1. Can build resorts at any scenic location in another empire.
2. 25% of the profit goes to the host empire.
3. Mid-difficulty agreement to obtain.
Distant Worlds Fan
'When in doubt...attack!'